Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 49

Author Topic: MATRIX6- Magic Tric Newbie Mafia 4/9 [Eruption: Fallacy of Logic- Hackers Win]  (Read 42819 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: MATRIX6- Magic Tric Newbie Mafia 9/9 [Day 1: Hackers Among Us]
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2021, 10:39:18 am »

Hmhmhm. Being the only Veteran Player I'll be giving mechanical advice to players in green. This will probably trend towards more general advice as well.

This setup is Matrix6. It's a 9 player game with 2 mafia and 7 town. The possible setups are:

Row 1 - Town Jailkeeper with 6 Vanilla Townies / 2 Mafia Goons
Row 2 - Town Cop and Town Doctor with 5 Vanilla Townies / Mafia Roleblocker and Mafia Goon
Row 3 - 1-shot Bulletproof Townie and Town Tracker with 5 Vanilla Townies / 2 Mafia Goons
Column A - Town Jailkeeper and 1-shot Bulletproof Townie with 5 Vanilla Townies / Mafia Roleblocker and Mafia Goon
Column B - Town Cop with 6 Vanilla Townies / 2 Mafia Goons
Column C - Town Doctor and Town Tracker with 5 Vanilla Townies / 2 Mafia Goons

The Mafia Roleblocker is allowed to perform the nightkill and roleblock on the same night.

Also, keep in mind player's flips and claims as the game progresses. The possible setups will narrow down as we learn more information.

I recommend players start by asking other players questions, but not every player. These focused attacks should provide content for scumhunting while also being not indiscriminate.

@EuchreJack:
How much should a player post? Is it alignment indicative? (in other words, does it reveal whether a player is more likely town or mafia?)

@hedgerow:
What should you do if you have the most votes on yourself currently during the day?

@Roden:
Are you related to Rolan7?

@Magma Mater:
I've played mafia (here they call it loup-garou!) a few times in real life, so I'm not really a newbie, but I figured I'd sign up for a newbie game so that y'all could show me how it works here.
Are you French?

Let's throw some questions out, because why not:

1. How much mafia experience would you say that you have?
2. Do you consider yourself good at the game?
3. What's your preference, town or wolf?
4. How would you describe your playstyle?
I find it funny you would answer your own questions (which are also directed towards every player), but sure.

1. I have six years of active play. Currently working on a seventh.
2. Yes.
3. Town.
4. Effective.

Magma Mater

• Bay Watcher
  • Stray Cat cancels hunt vermin: seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2021, 11:10:11 am »

@Magma Mater:
I've played mafia (here they call it loup-garou!) a few times in real life, so I'm not really a newbie, but I figured I'd sign up for a newbie game so that y'all could show me how it works here.
Are you French?
No, I live in Quebec!

I find it funny you would answer your own questions (which are also directed towards every player), but sure.

1. I have six years of active play. Currently working on a seventh.
2. Yes.
3. Town.
4. Effective.
Why do you prefer town?
What do you do that allows you to be effective? Are you talking about your town play, your wolf play, or both?
Why bother giving answers that don't really tell me anything? Not a rhetorical question.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2021, 11:28:48 am »

Why do you prefer town?
It's easier for me, I don't have to lie and make up fake cases.

What do you do that allows you to be effective? Are you talking about your town play, your wolf play, or both?
Both. I want to always play optimally regardless of my alignment. My goal is to win for my alignment, in this case, town. This means that if my town or wolf partners are throwing the game I'm still going to be playing to win.

Wolf and mafia are interchangeable terms.

Why bother giving answers that don't really tell me anything? Not a rhetorical question.
I disagree. I answered your questions, you asked for more details after which I've also followed up on. I could argue your questions are broad and shallow, but I do think they're appropriate for a newbie game and serve as a starter.

I could see a town!Magma or mafia!Magma giving these questions to every player at the start so I think it's okay.

Magma Mater

• Bay Watcher
  • Stray Cat cancels hunt vermin: seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2021, 02:02:51 pm »

Quote from: ToonyMan
This means that if my town or wolf partners are throwing the game I'm still going to be playing to win.
Does this mean that, as a wolf, you typically vote out your partner(s) if you feel they're playing badly?

I disagree. I answered your questions, you asked for more details after which I've also followed up on. I could argue your questions are broad and shallow, but I do think they're appropriate for a newbie game and serve as a starter.

I could see a town!Magma or mafia!Magma giving these questions to every player at the start so I think it's okay.
My gripe wasn't that you didn't answer my questions. It's that you answered them in a way that wasn't helpful. You're saying my questions are broad and shallow, but they were intentionally left open-ended to give everyone a chance to respond in a comprehensive way. I even responded to them myself, to show the kind of answers I wanted to see in response. Perhaps that was too subtle... I should have been more direct that I was asking the questions to have a better understanding of how each person here plays and what I can expect of them.
Your initial brief answers to open-ended questions tell me that you're a bit of a closed book. Would you say that this is an accurate description of you, generally?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2021, 03:28:13 pm »

Quote from: ToonyMan
This means that if my town or wolf partners are throwing the game I'm still going to be playing to win.
Does this mean that, as a wolf, you typically vote out your partner(s) if you feel they're playing badly?
Yes. I am a known busser. Although I won't bus if there's no reason for it, for example if my partners are not suspected I won't lead a crusade for their head since there's no advantage.

Bussing in this setup is also pretty iffy since you'll be all alone with at least one town PR (power role) around.

My gripe wasn't that you didn't answer my questions. It's that you answered them in a way that wasn't helpful. You're saying my questions are broad and shallow, but they were intentionally left open-ended to give everyone a chance to respond in a comprehensive way. I even responded to them myself, to show the kind of answers I wanted to see in response. Perhaps that was too subtle... I should have been more direct that I was asking the questions to have a better understanding of how each person here plays and what I can expect of them.
Fair enough.

Your initial brief answers to open-ended questions tell me that you're a bit of a closed book. Would you say that this is an accurate description of you, generally?
Not really. I will spill all of my thoughts on something. In fact I like to usually keep notes during a game which I will share at the start of each day.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2021, 03:54:15 pm »

@EuchreJack:
How much should a player post? Is it alignment indicative? (in other words, does it reveal whether a player is more likely town or mafia?)

A player that can not post once a day should consider asking for replacement.  Real life can certainly crimp our styles, but the game needs posts!

Player post count is, in my opinion, alignment indicative.
Lots of posting helps Town and hurts Mafia.  Every time the mafia player posts, they risk giving themselves away.  Every time the town player posts, they give evidence that can potentially show their Towniness.  Although I've certainly tested the limits of this, I think Town players should post as much as they can!

My hint to my fellow Townies is to not let anyone go unexamined.  So if you're one of the later posters in the day, and you see someone hasn't been questioned, that is your target!  Go go go scumhunt, or I'm gonna vote you!

@Toonyman: Since we have played before, is any of my opinions on this new to you?
How can you balance your role of sage veteran giving advice to Town if you were to roll Mafia?
Are you planning to lead town like usual?

Hey everyone! I'm Magma Mater. I've had an account on bay12 for about ten years. I started playing DF a little while before that, but haven't played in quite a while (not since shortly after the vampire update came out). I saw recently that DF is coming to Steam soon, which got me interested again, so I did the whole "reset password" thing and started lurking the forum and eventually found this! I've played mafia (here they call it loup-garou!) a few times in real life, so I'm not really a newbie, but I figured I'd sign up for a newbie game so that y'all could show me how it works here.

My answers:
1. I think I have a decent amount of experience but I know that there are people with a lot more than me.
2. I'm one of the better players in my group of friends but I'm not sure how well that'll transfer here.
3. I prefer town for sure, I get really nervous as a wolf and tend to clam up. I think that's a good way to read me... if I'm not posting a lot, I'm a wolf.  :D
4. I'd describe my playstyle as a little deliberate. I tend to ask a lot of questions, and not vote until I'm sure that the person is a wolf.

1) Limited experience, this is probably my 4th game or so.  I tend to die on the first day, so even less experienced that 4 games would indicate.
2) No, my main talents are becoming confirmed Town and then dying so that Town can win.  Let my noble sacrifice win another one for Town!
3) I'd love to play mafia/wolf, but I keep rolling Town (except when I was a real wolf, turned and everything, and I rolled Town in that game too).  I'm like the Anti-Blue...
4) Batshit Crazy.  My goal in this game is get confirmed Townie without resorting to drunk posting...

@Magma Mater: What is your experience on these boards?  Why are you in a Newbie game if you "have a decent amount of experience"?

@Blue: Did you roll scum again?

@Rolan7: Please clear yourself as Town, I don't want to hunt you.  Hm, what was your favorite game of mafia on these forums? If you were not a participant, what was your favorite game of mafia in which you participated on these forums?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2021, 04:26:39 pm »

1. Eh... Maybe like 10+ years or so. Idk.
2. I'm decent. I am fairly intuitive, I can pick Town out from a mile away with a sniper rifle.
3. Depends. Town is always easier because you get more teammates, but scum is also fun because it is more skill-based. Or not, I dunno, whatever, lemons and such.
4. Inflamed Appendix.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2021, 04:43:25 pm »

Hammers are also in effect, so extending time is only really useful for more discussion.
Something important to keep in mind, hammers end the day immediately when there's a majority on someone. There's nine players alive which means five votes on a single player will "hammer" that player and end the day. Shorter days are usually not in town's best interest so it's worth mentioning. That isn't to say you should be shy with your vote, if you suspect someone then vote them! Unless it would put them at L-1 aka one vote away from hammer.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2021, 04:55:14 pm »

Player post count is, in my opinion, alignment indicative.
Lots of posting helps Town and hurts Mafia.  Every time the mafia player posts, they risk giving themselves away.  Every time the town player posts, they give evidence that can potentially show their Towniness.  Although I've certainly tested the limits of this, I think Town players should post as much as they can!
I don't think so. It's not about quantity, but quality. A bunch of revealing posts might spew a player as town - such as your play in Roguelike Mafia 7 - but it is not normally alignment indicative and I don't believe town PRs should reveal anything on D1.

Someone who is active-lurking, or posting a lot without doing anything, is just as scummy as someone who is lurking. If someone stinks up a thread with a bunch of words that nobody wants to read that could hurt town just as bad as nobody posting. You gotta make your posts count for the future.

@Toonyman: Since we have played before, is any of my opinions on this new to you?
No. I feel like you've said something to this effect before. I legit barely read any of Tric's or your posts on D1 of Roguelike Mafia 7.

How can you balance your role of sage veteran giving advice to Town if you were to roll Mafia?
If I rolled mafia in this game I would still be trying to be as helpful as possible in green text.

I don't want meta to be a big part of a newbie game so I'm going to try to not bring up stuff about other games either.

Are you planning to lead town like usual?
Yes. I would also expect more standard play from me.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2021, 05:54:51 pm »

1. I have some experience. I've played several Mafia style games, but not much post-by-post, mainly just the typical party game set up and only casually. I found this forum through a game called Gnosia, since someone on the sub reddit linked the game a group played here a month or so ago, and though it was too late to play it got me interested in trying post-by-post.

2. Kind of? I'm either spot on or completely off my game and just throwing. I feel like I'm only at my best when I play with people I've gotten to know, which feels obvious, but there's a very notable gap in how good I am with strangers vs people I know. I do pick up games pretty quickly though, and I think in general I can always at least catch on to lies and inconsistencies.

3. I like both but prefer mafia. I enjoy solving mysteries as town, but scheming is just plain fun lol. I think I'm stronger as a wolf/mafia too.

4. Chaotic. I typically get scum read because of this, but I partially do this to draw out mafia who want an easy mis elim. But I also do this so people have a harder time reading me for meta tells from past games. Despite this I'm actually kinda sensitive to getting scum read lol, but I only ever seem to get scum read over random comments I make rather than my actions. I want to try to find out why this is.

@Roden:
No. I have no idea who that is.

I don't think so. It's not about quantity, but quality. A bunch of revealing posts might spew a player as town - such as your play in Roguelike Mafia 7 - but it is not normally alignment indicative and I don't believe town PRs should reveal anything on D1.
I mostly agree. I think the Bulletproof townie should step forward though if they exist.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2021, 06:05:29 pm »

I mostly agree. I think the Bulletproof townie should step forward though if they exist.

Why? To me, that seems to negate Bulletproof, and paint a target for mafia to try to mislynch them.  But hey, I'm still a novice (newbie game, hello?), so maybe you've got a really great theory on why that is good.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2021, 06:15:06 pm »

It's a good point actually. The bulletproof townie would be able to confirm themselves as town and the mafia would have to spend two nights to get rid of one town. If the mafia counter-claim then they're trading half their team for one townie.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2021, 06:17:06 pm »

@Roden:
No. I have no idea who that is.
Yo, nice to meet you, they/them.  My name's from Marathon: The paladin who wielded Durandal but with a seven.

@Rolan7: Please clear yourself as Town, I don't want to hunt you.  Hm, what was your favorite game of mafia on these forums? If you were not a participant, what was your favorite game of mafia in which you participated on these forums?
I only played in like 3 (I think, apparently it was over TEN YEARS AGO O_o).  The one that stuck with me the most was Beginner Mafia 8, (IC here since the original link no longer works!) which ran almost a month because someone had to drop and wasn't replaced for a while.  That lead to a very stressful period of time where no progress could really be made.  Also, apparently I was too eager to buddy with people which sounds about right.

I was town there and I don't remember ever not being town.  Probably for the best since I'd rather not have the particular pressure of being scum.  I'll try to do my best anyway, of course!

I guess I can answer the questionaire too for completeness sake:

1. Like three games and a couple of quickies on IRC, but literally over a decade ago
2. I seemed to do pretty well, but I think that was down to beginner luck and being obnoxiously nice.  Now, probably not.
3. Town since it's less pressure and I have more experience with it
4. TBD I suppose

I don't have an opinion on whether the bulletproof townie should claim, yet.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2021, 06:19:14 pm »

It's a good point actually. The bulletproof townie would be able to confirm themselves as town and the mafia would have to spend two nights to get rid of one town. If the mafia counter-claim then they're trading half their team for one townie.

Huh?  ???
The mafia could just ignore the bulletproof townie entirely.  I fail to see the advantage.  Better to have Mafia waste a bullet.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2021, 06:23:10 pm »

And again, how confirm?  Get shot and live?  Would the villainly mafia team be so stupidly helpful?

I admit, I like the idea of catching mafia in a counterclaim scenario.  But with the matrix, I think they can still claim another power role.  It's a two-part system, right?

@Tric: Please confirm what Matrix6 means.  Can rows and columns be both selected?
Newbie my @$$
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 49