Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49

Author Topic: MATRIX6- Magic Tric Newbie Mafia 4/9 [Eruption: Fallacy of Logic- Hackers Win]  (Read 42351 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

But it just hurts when everyone is attacking me and nobody is helping me.

Having not paid much attention to the specifics of the game, I will say that people "helping" you are not always your friends. The "help" that Webadict historically gives new players is toxic when he's scum and their town -- other forums call this pocketing.

You apparently had a bad time in this game, but don't forget that every misreading is an interaction. The way that you played caused that misreading, so did your fellow townies applications and misapplications of trust and pressure. It's never actually one person who causes an outcome.

It's honestly good that we didn't have the Webadict/Toony dream team in this game, since it's not especially helpful for anyone to get used to playing against the same person in every outing.

Yeah, I can see a few critical points where either FOU or Magma pushed a redirect.  I was particularly vulnerable to it, but others were as well.
Also, the fact I couldn't decide whether or not they were a likely team is a really good clue they're actually the team.
...I don't think Web was really around long enough to do much, although I'll probably reread it. I know he started setting Magma up as Super Townie, though.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

Also, you were not a great trainer for Hedgerow.
I did everything in my power to help Hedgerow.

I think maybe you suspect people just because they figured out stuff that you haven't.  I feel that is unfair.
I do suspect people who seem to know too much as that's a good scum tell, it's important to draw conclusions in way you can clearly express and not change your opinion suddenly or without reasoning.

It's honestly good that we didn't have the Webadict/Toony dream team in this game, since it's not especially helpful for anyone to get used to playing against the same person in every outing.
Has this ever even happened? I feel like every time Web gets mafia, I get town, and town loses.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Has this ever even happened? I feel like every time Web gets mafia, I get town, and town loses.

Now that sounds like a challenge!  You can beat 'em Toonyman!  Get the Webster!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I meant the town/town combo that decided the last 3 or so games I played LOL
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I meant the town/town combo that decided the last 3 or so games I played LOL

Oh, you meant Toonyman/Web as town.  Yeah, I learned more from this game than watching Toonyman/Web solve the game for us.  Including that I can't rely on Toonyman/Web to solve it...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

Nah, that is fair.  I just wish I understood what I did wrong D2.  I sorta understand D3, but the problem I'm having is that I actually thought I was doing well.
I think I can help with this. To me it felt like you were willing to vote anybody on D2. That's why I pressured you to vote FoU. I fully expected town!Jack to be more cautious and disagree with me, but the one time you go along with what I say is when it's to vote a player you didn't really suspect in a mylo situation. I couldn't understand why a town POV would do this ever.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nah, that is fair.  I just wish I understood what I did wrong D2.  I sorta understand D3, but the problem I'm having is that I actually thought I was doing well.
I think I can help with this. To me it felt like you were willing to vote anybody on D2. That's why I pressured you to vote FoU. I fully expected town!Jack to be more cautious and disagree with me, but the one time you go along with what I say is when it's to vote a player you didn't really suspect in a mylo situation. I couldn't understand why a town POV would do this ever.
I was reverting to my sheeping behavior.
I KNEW you were Town, so I was just following your instructions.
...If you recall, in the Roguelike Mafia 7 game I just linked to, you were reading Tric as mafia because Tric was playing better.  Maybe you shouldn't overly rely upon meta with players that are trying to improve their game?  They're going to be doing things...differently that you might otherwise expect.
Also, I was never in that situation before, as I told you, and you ignored, so I didn't understand the significance of the math.

Was that honestly it? I had thought it was much more than that, hence my deep despair.  Also, a tough lesson not to trust others to hunt the scum, at least not without doing the work myself.  There was certainly a point where Roden, Pref, and I could have compared notes and won.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

What more do you want Jack?

You're half the posts in this game. You town read and mafia read every player on every day. I gave a big advice post to you during D1 under the assumption that you were town about how I play the game, since that's led to my success. You say you "KNEW" I was town, but your actions don't reflect this and you antagonized me constantly throughout the game. I didn't know what you were really feeling at all at any point since your stance/opinion would change at any moment.

D1 advice post:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Look at this example of Jack/FoU logic I gave on D1:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Did you notice that I only voted FoU and not you, Jack? It's because I would always want to kill FoU here first because I was more confident in that read. I can't blame Roden for giving into Jack bloodlust, but killing FoU first was the correct play for D3 even if D4 would have likely been a mafia win still.

As town, you want to be judging player's reads of yourself because you can sometimes get a good sense of whether they're legit or not based on the reasoning they give for trusting someone. This post is my biggest reason for town reading you. As town you need to evaluate other players, but also look at how other players look at you. Sure, being self-destructive could make you obviously town, but you're going to be screwed when you roll mafia and your flailing defensiveness or self-vote gambits just get you killed such as this game.

And yes, I did antagonize you a lot during this game, but it was because I didn't trust you. Please also consider this post I made on D2:
EVERYONE is possible scum.  There are no absolute town.  It's just a factor of degrees.

I've a veteran of the Paranoia forums.  Stay Alert! Trust No One! Keep Your Laser Handy!
I'm used to waiting for inevitable betrayal from all directions.
But why are your town reads suddenly no good? I built up trust with Roden (and to a lesser extent Magma) that I find hard to let go. I want to believe my town reads are correct and I'm constantly reaffirming myself whether I believe them or not. The more or stronger town reads I have on someone the harder it is for me to let that go beyond indisputable proof.

You're dropping your Toony and FoU town reads into the mud with every other player you also scum read like it's nothing. You voted one of your town reads without batting an eye because somebody told you to. You then proceeded to vote your other town read. How do you expect to win with this mentality?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So to be town, lie.  Got it.  8)
Why am I surprised?   :-X

...anyways, thanks for the advice and help Toonyman.  I'll try to be more focused in the future.  At least I think I'm understanding why some of the so called "rules/standards/advice" applies.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

It's not to lie.

Honestly suspecting every player is fine and I expect that at the start of the game, but again, keep notes of what people are saying/doing/attacking/defending and whether they're being natural or consistent. Your town read of Hedgerow was correct, but you should not have rubbed it in my face. To me, that's something newbie mafia!Jack would do because they already knew Hedgerow was town, not because their read was correct. At one point you suspected Roden simply because I did not suspect Roden, does that sound reasonable to you?

Here's a thought process to have as town:

What's the best way I can help town right now? Who do I trust or suspect? Why do I trust or suspect them? How can I explain my intentions in the most clear - and therefore - townie way?

Here's what you should be thinking as mafia:

What's the best way I can look like I'm helping town right now? What can I do that will cause confusion while also making myself appear genuine and therefore, townie?

Magma Mater

• Bay Watcher
  • Stray Cat cancels hunt vermin: seeking infant.
    • View Profile

My Night Action Logic
I tracked Bluarian on N1, suspecting them to quietly carry the kill out. Unfortunately, whenever Blu is actually town they die immediately. I tracked Jack on N2 as FoU was obvscum and I suspected they wouldn't be the one that performs the kill. I didn't really want to be a PR since I was dying at night no matter what I did...

Anyway, I want to comment on Magma's play here.

Magma's Mafia Play
Nothing Magma did on D1 set off my town tell senses, but these two posts on D2 did:

#304 - Magma reads me as town with a completely reasonable conclusion after suspecting me on D1, very well played mafia post.
#326 - I'm a sucker for these kinds of posts AND they put FoU as their top suspect. FoU was a dead man, but Magma completely covered their tracks. This is a very good bus post, in addition they jumped on the FoU wagon at the end of Day 1 which makes the bus very convincing.

I base my reads off logic and intuition, but I'm not infallible and find most of my success when working with the rest of town. You can't expect to solve a game on your own so you need to be cooperative with other players whether you suspect them or not. Maybe I could have realized that FoU was purposely playing bad to eat the bus and implicate Jack, but it's easier when you have other sets of eyes to help you. Roden and Pref suspected Magma/FoU at EOD2, for example.

As town (or mafia pretending to be town) it's important to have a natural logic to your posts to come off as genuine and I don't think Magma gave any hard tells that they were behaving unnaturally which is the main reason I couldn't pin them down. Maybe if I had more time and did the Magma ISO I would have seen things differently, but probably not.

PPE:

@Jack:
Not to be too harsh Jack, but Roden and Pref had the mafia team solved at EOD2. They both wanted FoU/Magma dead, it was literally just me that couldn't believe your play during D2, which you did nothing to change during D3. This caused Roden to break their reads in favor of trusting my reads more as you were acting out far too much.
Yeah I figured I wasn't getting you lynched so I needed to pocket you instead. I was also trying to set up a tracker claim with you as my n1 target (although that definitely would not have worked out in my favour if it had come to me claiming hahaha).

I hope that nobody mistook me for a newbie this game. I tried to be upfront about being moderately experienced. And when other people were like "he must be town or really good at scum" I felt like I should clarify that I'm an experienced scum player, but then I'd basically be claiming that I'm scum lol.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Magma: Dunno if I posted this, but I thought you were second to Toonyman in experience:

Honestly, I think Toonyman's read on Hedgerow is wrong because they're so far above them in skill, they've forgotten what lousy play is really like.  I recall making Hedgerow's mistakes recently.  I got misread by Toonyman recently.  Hence, my defense of Hedgerow

Experience/skill rankings
Our Veteran, Our Champion: ToonyMan
Magma Mater - I get a strong experience vibe from them, probably plays mafia elsewhere
Roden - General posts and demeanor indicate a semi-experienced mafia player, maybe more in real life than on forums
FallacyofUrist - Certainly has played their fair share, but still no expert
BluarianKnight - World Renown Expert on Scum play, has little Town experience
Rolan7 - Nulli-San
prefuzek - Flails about, but getting into the grove
EuchreJack - Game 4?  And if I don't get NK'd, I might even see Day 2 for once!
Hedgerow - I honestly believe this is their first game.  Maybe played once or twice live action mafia in High School/Elementary School/Summer Camp. Trying to play based upon mafia-wiki and literally nothing else.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At one point you suspected Roden simply because I did not suspect Roden, does that sound reasonable to you?
I think the thought process was: Everyone is thinking Roden is town.  While I generally agree with that, I'm concerned that Roden might be mafia flying under the radar, so I should probably look into them.

And as per my "lie" comment, I meant more "tell less of the truth", in that I probably should keep my investigation of Roden to myself if everyone else, including me, thinks they're probably town.  Poke and prod a bit, while keeping up the town read unless something pops out.

EDIT: And to clarify, since Roden was town, my investigation should have lead to clearing Roden, so it would appear that I never even doubted Roden.
Especially since Magma used my publicly-stated doubt against me.

Magma Mater

• Bay Watcher
  • Stray Cat cancels hunt vermin: seeking infant.
    • View Profile

Magma Mater - I get a strong experience vibe from them, probably plays mafia elsewhere
Yeah I go by Urist elsewhere so I figured I should play a game here *eventually*. Hopefully next time I can be town so that you can see how terrible a player I actually am. :)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah I go by Urist elsewhere so I figured I should play a game here *eventually*. Hopefully next time I can be town so that you can see how terrible a player I actually am. :)

It's awesome regardless to recruit experienced players from elsewhere :) Cheers.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49