Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 40

Author Topic: Oooohhhhhhh, Elden Ring. Bay12 Group Password: MAGMA. It's DLC time!  (Read 46233 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asqWq8MIAWA

Have the first real gameplay trailer.

It looks.....pretty much like Dark Souls, only less gray and gothic. Not that what Elden Ring has shown isn't gothic, it's just more colorful, weirder and varied than Dark Souls.

I have very little else to say on it other than....I look forward to playing it in 2024 or whenever it's actually done. (1st quarter of 2022? I'll believe it when I see it......)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 01:33:54 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Oh, Elden Ring
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 04:52:35 pm »

... yeah, I'll probably never play it. Should be nice to watch through a LP eventually, though :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 03:58:28 am »

To be fair, Sekiro came out in early 2019 and they haven't done anything for it since in terms of content. Considering that production on this probably started earlier than that and how good From is with recycling and reusing stuff from previous games I think early 2022 is probably a solid release date.

Other than that, fuckin' hype, the batshit crazy designs and bossfights that we get glimpses of in the trailer all looked super juicy and I can't wait to get stomped once it comes out.

Also also, can't wait to see what this games version of the moonlight greatsword looks like :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 05:12:54 am »

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH, ELDEN RING

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 06:20:36 am »

I want a Souls-like game that's a sandbox, instead of the simple: central lobby area or bonfire-by-bonfire schtick, then go through this passage to the next, boss fight, finish game, type of paradigm. I really wonder how a Souls-like sandbox game would pan out. 

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 10:46:15 am »

To be fair, Sekiro came out in early 2019 and they haven't done anything for it since in terms of content. Considering that production on this probably started earlier than that and how good From is with recycling and reusing stuff from previous games I think early 2022 is probably a solid release date.

To be fair, about 4 or 5 months ago they did introduce a new boss rush mode to Sekiro, new alternate outfits, some new unlockable weapon art thingies, yadda yadda. A bit late considering most people finished Sekiro and moved on, but they did at least do something.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2021, 12:03:59 pm »

I want a Souls-like game that's a sandbox, instead of the simple: central lobby area or bonfire-by-bonfire schtick, then go through this passage to the next, boss fight, finish game, type of paradigm. I really wonder how a Souls-like sandbox game would pan out.
Dark Souls 1 kind of has this already, if you think about it. One of the things that many people love about the original Dark Souls is its interesting and interconnected map design, which allows for a degree of freedom while still having a kind of logical progression to it. There's little stopping you from fighting many of the bosses "out of order" so to speak, though there are limitations, obviously.

If they took this rough premise and "opened" the world up (in this case meaning adding more open space with various points of interest) I fear it wouldn't be well-received without some serious tweaks. Traversing a smaller, denser map with dangers around every corner is typically much more engaging than walking for five minutes through a largely uninteresting space to reach the next objective. Breath of the Wild made it bearable by having interesting movement options; namely, you could climb up cliffs and then use the height you'd gained to glide or shield-surf or... hit yourself with an object to go flying at unreasonable speeds. Pretty sure that last one wasn't intended, though.

I'd be interested to see FromSoft give it a go, regardless.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 12:10:07 pm by Nighthawk »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oooohhhhhhh, Elden Ring
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 01:41:33 pm »

What with the featured mounts in the trailer, you might be closer than you think. I agree that understanding the level and the way hazards are set up (a simple Hollow with a knife around a blind corner is like, classic Dark Souls difficulty because even that guy can be very dangerous) is a large part of the appeal of Dark Souls, and I'd worry that having an open world with just some bosses sitting around waiting for you to find them would detract from that.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 11:56:53 am »

Hands off preview details are starting to filter in from various sources. Deets in no particular order:

-Gestures are still there.
-Lore is meant to be “easier to understand than previous games.”
-Elden Ring’s story is more about characters in the world than previous games.
-George RR Martin wrote the ancient backstory of Elden Ring, and Miyazaki created all the characters you meet during gameplay.
-Binoculars are back. Apparently they will be “a lot more useful.”
-Stealth similar to Sekiro’s stealth. So perhaps insta-kill backstabs. The gameplay demo apparently had a lot of the player using Sleep Arrows to put enemies to sleep so they could just avoid them. Implies? That maybe enemy tethering has changed too. Usually you can just run past Souls enemies. Wouldn’t be the first feature they’ve made that is completely invalidated by enemy behavior.
-Guard Counters. An attack you can launch immediately after a “normal block.” Guard Counters themselves can be countered.
-The Posture system from Sekiro Is present. Really all FromSoft Souls games have had some form of it running in the background, but in Elden Ring it may be a more core part of gameplay.
-Elden Ring will have the most weapons in it if any FromSoft game to date.
-Weapon Arts are now called “Skills”, and can be equipped to the weapon you’re using. Not all Skills can go on all weapons. Skills are found by killing bosses, certain enemies or being found as treasure.
-There is now a dedicated jump button. Jumping comes into play in more places in levels, and can be used more freely in combat.
-FromSoft compares the “Spirit Steed” to the horse in Witcher 3, in terms of usefulness and companionship.
-The Spirit Steed has a health pool and can be healed by feeding it, which also helps you “bond with it.”
-You can do mounted attacks from your mount. You can use items, throw stuff and cast spells, all from horseback. It’s been said that the mount is for fighting bigger single enemies while non-mounted combat is for groups of enemies.
-You cannot use your mount while you have friends summoned or doing PvP. Mounts can only be summoned and ridden in the “Open Field.” They’re disabled once you enter the Legacy Dungeons.
-You can have up to two friendly summons.
-Summoned minion helpers can only be summoned while you have no friends summoned. Summoned helpers can be upgraded and leveled up. They cost FP to summon and use.
-You can only be invaded while you have friends summoned. There is currently no invasions of hosts that are alone.
-There’s Estus and Ashen Estus flasks again, that are refilled by resting at “bonfires” and you can choose your allotment between them just like DS3.
-Estus refills when killing enough enemies.
-When you’re not in combat, stamina does not deplete. So you can infinitely sprint until you enter combat.
-Some “bonfires” in the Open Field can only be unlocked by defeating Open Field min-bosses.
-Leveling up is only done at the Fire Keeper-equivalent character.
-The game world has a map you can pull up. I get the sense this map is only for the Open Field, and not the Legacy Dungeons.
-The map is not revealed to start, you have to discover map fragments to fully reveal it.
-The map also shows underground passages, so it looks like there some sort of labyrinth underneath the open field.
-Players can make notes on their map, and set a waypoint that shows up as a vertical beam of light in the game world, helping guide you.
-There’s a Compass to tell you your heading. Unclear if it’s like Skyrim where PoI’s show up on it.
-Resting at a bonfire causes a little trail of light that can guide you, I guess?, to where the game thinks you should go next, but you don’t have to follow it.
-You can fast travel to any checkpoint from anywhere in the Open Field or when “not in a dungeon.”
-There are “retry points” in levels which, once you find them you can heal and replenish at them, but don’t function like full bonfires.
-There are hard coded choices you have to make sometimes about how to approach things. An example given was approaching the first Legacy Dungeon, a prompt appears asking if you want to storm the gates or sneak in a side entrance. It’s unclear but my sense is this choice is binding and may alter the way the level plays out for there on out. Otherwise, why even have a prompt?
-There’s hunting and crafting, so you can get materials to make consumables and gear. Both can still be bought in various places, but crafting is required for some. As an example, Green Blossoms (aka stamina regen consumable from Dark Souls) is called Dried Meat, and is made from animals you hunt and harvest. Ammunition like arrows can also be crafted from stuff you hoont.
-Crafted items require blueprints, which Are gotten from defeating certain enemies or being found as treasure.
-Pot Boys are sounding like the games’ equivalent of Crystal Lizards.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 07:38:13 pm by nenjin »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2021, 12:30:19 pm »

There is now a dedicated jump button. Jumping comes into play in more places in levels, and can be used more freely in combat.
Am I the only one that didn't have problems with the old way jumping worked? Jumping and kicking was only a problem in DS2, from what I remember, because when they switched from 30fps to 60fps you still had to make the inputs within just a couple frames which meant the windows for inputs was twice as narrow as it should have been (also weapon durability dropped twice as quickly for similar reasons). I think the only time I really had trouble was when trying to dodge while sprinting you would instead jump and get hit by the attack.

You can only be invaded while you have friends summoned. There is currently no invasions of hosts that are alone.
Call me a carebear or whatever term you want to use, but the invasions were one of my least favorite aspect of the DS series. I understand that they're pretty big part of the experience, but I preferred playing solo compared to super pro invaders popping into my game, teleporting behind me, then oneshotting me constantly. Also you can't pause the game so prepare lose your progress to an invader if you dare have to deal with anything IRL. I recall DS2 had a neat compromise where if you don't want invasions to occur your health would be cut by about half, and to get a lot of that health back you'd need to sacrifice a ring slot (and you'd look like an ugly zombie). It seemed like a reasonable trade-off: if you want to disable a pretty significant feature of the game and only fight computer enemies then those computer enemies become more challenging by giving up that health and potentially a ring slot.

I can see this new change becoming frustrating for people who like the invading mechanic, both giving and receiving, where invaders are now guaranteed to be facing at least two opponents at once. Then there's the people who feel being invaded solo is part of the experience and challenge, and now that is apparently being taken away.

EDIT: I just realized, after playing Nioh and Nioh 2, DS combat just seems limiting by comparison. I wonder what they're going to do, if anything, to spice it up a little in ER.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 01:13:31 pm by Ozyton »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 01:59:22 pm »

Just added a few more bits.

Overall, my impression is that ER is trying to be a deeper SP experience. FromSoft games have always been, at their core, SP experiences that emphasized exploration. Except the scope and scale and detail of them was closer to an older 90s JRPG in 3D with a dank vibe.

So this seems like ER is doubling down on it, with lots of SP conveniences and features from modern open world rpgs, like maps, lots of travel options, better environmental exploration feature like jumping, lots of POIs they guide you to, etc…

On the one hand, it kinda smacks of just doing what Assassins Creed made industry standard for open world RPGs. And that feels like it dilutes From’s identity a bit as game makers. On the other hand, it’s FromSoft, so I know they’ll put their own twist on it. And there’s all the Legacy dungeon stuff which will be hand crafted FromSoft level design. So maybe it’ll be the best of both worlds, or maybe it will be trying to do too much and neither are super great because of it.

And I think the emphasis on the SP experience explains coop a bit too. I hated online pvp at first and like many, it put me off finishing an already challenging game. I think FromSoft and publishers want people to play this, to get through it and see it all. Not jamming invaders up their butts constantly seems to support that set of priorities. I eventually came to terms with and even started to enjoy the Souls PvP experience, but I’m happy to able to keep it at arms length and just enjoy playing the game alone too.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 02:40:47 pm by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oooohhhhhhh, Elden Ring. Gameplay Preview!
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2021, 09:50:25 am »

Have 20 minutes of Elden Ring!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JldMvQMO_5U

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2021, 10:00:44 am »

I've wondered for a while now, does Elden Ring have any relation in lore/theme/etc to FromSoft's early PS2 title, Eternal Ring?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2021, 10:16:45 am »

The DNA of older From Soft games is woven into damn near everything they make now.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2021, 10:37:09 am »

well, yes, but like, what about this one in particular

the names are like 60% identical

look, i bought my copy for 102 yen in Japan and it's sitting next to my ps3 where it's impossible to play, i need to understand if there's essential data jubblies in there so i can feel self-important about my small act of consumerism that will otherwise leave me no closer to understanding or anticipating Elden Ring
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 40