Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40

Author Topic: Oooohhhhhhh, Elden Ring. Bay12 Group Password: MAGMA. It's DLC time!  (Read 46226 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Oooohhhhhhh, Elden Ring. Bay12 Group Password: MAGMA. PvP Arena is live!
« Reply #555 on: January 25, 2023, 04:39:18 pm »

It's good in the early game when your stats are low, especially if the extra vigor gives you enough HP to offset the extra damage you'll be taking. In the late game it's much more situational, since you should be approaching the soft caps for vigor and endurance, and there's other talismans for increasing strength or dexterity if you need a boost to wield certain weapons.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 25, 2023, 05:47:35 pm »

Should I use Radagon's Charm? The one that boosts str dex end vit or not?

My reply is "if you're good enough."

Taking extra damage in Elden Ring can be quite lethal depending on your base vigor and what you're fighting in what stage of the game.

If you're taking hits regularly in combat and boss fights, Radagon's might push you into 1 shot territory depending on the attack.

Basically, if you feel confident and don't struggle against the occasional wipe or tough opponent, Radagon's just speeds up the game for you.

If you're not confident, you might struggle more despite the additional damage.

I've sort of seen Radagon's Scarseal fall out of favor for other, less risky talismans. More damaging Ashes of War, more HP, more Poise, better Jumping Attacks all seem to get more play than the Seals now. The Seals as mentioned above more seem to be for compensating for missing stat allocation so you can fit a few other things in, rather than truly enhancing attack rating.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 05:50:22 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 26, 2023, 01:13:00 pm »

It's good in the early game when your stats are low, especially if the extra vigor gives you enough HP to offset the extra damage you'll be taking. In the late game it's much more situational, since you should be approaching the soft caps for vigor and endurance, and there's other talismans for increasing strength or dexterity if you need a boost to wield certain weapons.

It definitely does help my poor vigor. And the endurance helps me wear my better armor without fat rolling. I can mitigate the defense reduction with better armor anyhow.

Taking extra damage in Elden Ring can be quite lethal depending on your base vigor and what you're fighting in what stage of the game.

If you're taking hits regularly in combat and boss fights, Radagon's might push you into 1 shot territory depending on the attack.

Basically, if you feel confident and don't struggle against the occasional wipe or tough opponent, Radagon's just speeds up the game for you.

I've sort of seen Radagon's Scarseal fall out of favor for other, less risky talismans. More damaging Ashes of War, more HP, more Poise, better Jumping Attacks all seem to get more play than the Seals now. The Seals as mentioned above more seem to be for compensating for missing stat allocation so you can fit a few other things in, rather than truly enhancing attack rating.

I am confident, Lion's Claw has carried me further in the early game and I think the Claw Talisman may be subtly boosting the attacks staggering effect cause I noticed a difference when I had it off and on again. It doesn't improve the damage just the effect of the Lion's Claw ash.
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 26, 2023, 10:11:46 pm »

Nah, Radagon scar/scorseal both increase effective HP for the majority of the game since it increases vitality. Scarseal increases your HP by more then 10% up until vigor level 39, Scorseal by more then 15% by up to vigor level 44.
So unless you are already very tanky all it does is make you more tanky. (Although once you get enough HP that flasks don't heal you to 100% anymore 30? 33? it might effectively make surviving harder).
Quote from: From the wiki
After some imperfect testing against various types of physical attacks, Radagon's Scarseal consistently increases damage by 0-3.5% for weak attacks, and 7-8.5% for strong attacks. I say consistent, but it's not very. There was even an instance where I actually received 1 point less damage while wearing the talisman.

With all this said, in general, this talisman is fantastic, and the damage increase is mostly negligible. Of course, there are times where a few extra points will mean all the difference, but overall the benefits far outweigh the negatives.
In paractice its even better then what my numbers show, the wiki notes they nominally increase damage taken by 10/15%, but due to how armor works that's only true for super heavy attacks, the effective damage increase is actually less for light/medium attacks, with weak enough stuff doing 0% extra damage.
(Note that there is quite a bit of tests shown on the Scarseal wiki page to confirm the actual damage you take)
As with everything else in the game the answer is: It depends. Its quite good, most of the HP stuff basically cancels out, but that leaves it as an effective 9/15 free levels.
In the right circumstances those levels can be huge, its most obvious use is if you need it to use a weapon, but even its passive effect as extra stamina+equipment+load+small bit of damage is often completely worth it.

If you have a significantly better talisman for your playstyle though for every slot its obviously not worth it (most notably stuff that increases your damage by +10%, stuff that helps your specific build like the Radagon Icon (increases cast speed), shield talisman, ect).
I would agree that the Claw Talisman is better since the +15% damage increase is huge as it works with your ash.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 27, 2023, 12:17:59 pm »

In paractice its even better then what my numbers show, the wiki notes they nominally increase damage taken by 10/15%, but due to how armor works that's only true for super heavy attacks, the effective damage increase is actually less for light/medium attacks, with weak enough stuff doing 0% extra damage.

Right, but the super heavy attacks are the ones most likely to do a shitload of damage too. Boss damage in particular.

As we both said, it depends. I know the Scarseal is good, it's basically the Prisoner's Chain from DS3. I just don't see a lot of youtubers running with it anymore.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 27, 2023, 12:54:59 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sometimes ya gotta stop and admire the scenery when you aren't dying. That's my character BTW.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 27, 2023, 01:34:34 pm »

Whatever faults the game has, it is damn pretty when you aren't in a dark dingy dungeon. Even the dungeons are nicely dingy rather than dull.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 27, 2023, 03:12:05 pm »

I found the mini-dungeons the most disappointing part TBH.

Yeah, the first few caves and catacombs you find in Liurnia you're like "these are great! Can't wait to see what the rest of them are like!"

But by Caelid you realize the mini-dungeons follow a format, and the tilesets get reused with a few variations. I dunno, it felt pretty formulaic. You knew there was a boss, you knew there was a treasure, and the rest was just figuring out the gimmick for the dungeon, if it had one. Very Skyrim like.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 27, 2023, 06:00:20 pm »

I'm feeling very icky rn since I experienced the worst frame rate in Elden Ring. During the Loretta boss fight. I had to exit game and when I loaded in she was stuck in idle. I didn't even have to fight just keep hitting her then she was ko'd.  I feel so wrong, and my God Ranni's area barely performs well on my Ps4. I had to point the camera at the ground to have it not go under 30 frames. I think I'll only go back to murder Seluvis tonight.

Fuck that guy he's worth the bad performance.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 27, 2023, 07:28:10 pm »

This is a Soul's game. You could always let nature take its course, too.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 27, 2023, 08:04:23 pm »

Let Me Lag Her.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 27, 2023, 10:12:36 pm »

This is a Soul's game. You could always let nature take its course, too.

I'm willing to, I just feel wrong..anyways I killed the night cavalry at the Raya lucaria bridge and and using it with Loretta's ash of war. It hits like a fucking truck.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 29, 2023, 10:58:48 am »

I beat Radahn the other day, that was a fun fight. If more soulslikes let you loose in a huge arena with the ability to summon half a dozen NPCs for assistance...

Well, I was going to say that the genre might be better off, but then I realized it might not feel so epic if it were commonplace. So who knows. Anyway, since then I've just kinda been jumping from place to place exploring whatever suited me. Checked out the underground city, beat up myself. Hit up the Carian Manor to grab some goodies I missed last time, including a very nice sword. Explored Caelid more and died a bunch. Finally visited the Altus Plateau via the "back entrance" climbing up a harpy-infested cliff and fighting a magma wyrm. Found out I was slightly underleveled. Loads of cool stuff.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #568 on: February 05, 2023, 09:00:19 pm »

Finally beat Malenia last night, which was the last thing I wanted to do before starting the end-game. I'll admit, I cheesed the heck out of it by respec'ing into a Mohgywn's Sacred Spear build and spamming the Skill alongside a Mimic Tear. Still took like ten tries to get it right.

Time to start end game and probably kill all the rest of my favourite characters, I guess xD

EDIT: Aaand took a few tries but compared to all the optional bosses, a Lvl 150 Dex Build with Godslayer's Greatsword and wrecks the endgame. Ultimate Waifu Ending unlocked, Praise the Moon!
Lvl 150
44 Vigor
20 Mind
25 Endurance
20 Strength
80 Dexterity
10 Intelligence
20 Faith
10 Arcane
Started as a Wretch with No Heirloom.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 10:23:05 am by MorleyDev »

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 26, 2023, 12:44:38 pm »

Here's a good question, what effect do you think is strongest? My opinion is early game bleed is optimal
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40