Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48

Author Topic: Core Thread - CYOGTCG High School RPG! Like a card game anime, but its CYOGTCG!  (Read 23051 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile

GM Burnout Risk. There is a chance this game may be dropped, I might be biting off more than I can chew with this one. You have been warned.

Welcome to the world of CYOGTCG! Its like my previous CYOGTCG Suggestion Game, except each player gets their own character which cannot be forced to do stupid things by other players! (Don't worry, you can still do stupid things on your own).

You are a student enrolling at CYOGTCG Junior High School in the world of CYOGTCG! It is a world not too unlike the one we live in, except in this world everyone is obsessed with a weird card game called CYOGTCG! Its stands for "Create Your Own G Trading Card Game". Nobody knows what the first G stands for.

You head over to the school gymnasium, and the school principal, whose name is apparently "Cyoggy Pete", gives out a big speech about the new school year, safety and a bunch of other boring things you would expect.

After about 20 minutes or so, a big crystal-ball thing is brought out in order to determine the Deck Theme of the new students! You place your hand upon the crystal-ball thing to reveal your deck theme. Which is...

Spoiler: Character Application (click to show/hide)

~~~

Here are the standard CYOGTCG rules. Note that game events can subvert these rules in various ways. You don't need to memorize the rules immediately, but this post can serve as a reference guide when things are unclear.

Actual card creation will be handled in-game, and will be explained as needed.

Game Rules
1) You start off each game with 20 hearts, and 5 cards in your hand. For any given game, you and your opponent may decide to start with a different amount of any of those three things.
2) If you have 0 or less hearts, you lose.
3) At the start of each turn, you draw one card.
4) Unless stated otherwise, you can only play one card per turn.
5) Cards also have hearts. If they have 0 hearts, they go away, unless stated otherwise. If a card says it has attack power, it can only damage the player directly if they have no cards defending them.
6) If a card has zero hearts when you play it, it will be destroyed after it does its effect.
7) There is a kind of resource called Stars, and you start the game with 0 of them. Strong Cards cost Stars to play, and they can be gained with the effects of weak cards. This prevents your best cards from being played immediately. Cards may also have effects that cost stars to use. (Stars carry over between turns)
8) The player who goes second starts the game with one star.
9) You can also make up your own resources for your cards if you really want.
10) Cards cannot attack on the turn they are played unless otherwise stated, and can only attack once per turn unless otherwise stated. When a card attacks another card, both cards lose hearts equal to the other card's attack
11) By default, if a card is face down it cannot be attacked. Cards may be attackable when face down, in which case this must be declared when playing the card.
12) Face Down cards cannot protect you from being attacked until it is flipped up. If a facedown card does something it will be flipped.
13) The game will typically use the honor system, so players can randomize their own deck and draw cards without GM intervention. If you suspect someone is cheating, inform the GM. Its just sad if you feel the need to cheat in this game. For grudge matches, you can request the GM do all the random stuff.
14) Strive to avoid situations which will require a retcon. Those are a big pain to clean up.
15) In the event of a disagreement, the GM will decide what happens.
16) Don't be afraid to get creative with your deckbuilding!
17) If a card says it does something "At the end of each turn", this only means your own turns unless it specifically states otherwise.

Relative card strength
A card that costs no stars to play would typically have a combined stat total of 5. (Example, 2 attack and 3 hearts). Useful effects will generally lower this, and detrimental effects can raise it. You can also make cards with no hearts which act like "Spells". Each star a card costs will typically raise its base stat total by 3 or 4. Very high star costs can have ridiculous effects.

Keywords
Quickplay: This card does not count towards your one card per turn limit.
Agile: This card can attack the turn it is played.
Flying: Cannot be blocked by a card without flying.
Unique: Only one copy of this can be put into your deck.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 11:07:31 pm by Supernerd »
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Freshman Students

Spoiler: G3/Stirk (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Diance/TricMagic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Azazel/NPC (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Jack Jackson/NPC (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Selene/Guess (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Odelia/Failbird105 (click to show/hide)

Special Cards
All freshmen students have access to cards in the "Core Set".
Spoiler: Core Set (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 07:24:12 pm by Supernerd »
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

Name: G3
Deck Theme: Waifus
Hairstyle: Three G's sticking out pompadour style
Other Information: The 3 is silent.

I WILL CARRY ON YOUR LEGACY G!
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

G is an actual character who canonically exists in this game already, and you will probably meet him or at least hear him yelling at some point. You may want to change your application accordingly, though it isn't necessary for you to do so. Apparantly it is also canonical that G is a fairly popular name for boys in the world of CYOGTCG.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

G is an actual character who canonically exists in this game already, and you will probably meet him or at least hear him yelling at some point. You may want to change your application accordingly, though it isn't necessary for you to do so. Apparantly it is also canonical that G is a fairly popular name for boys in the world of CYOGTCG.

I'm keeping it. I will carry on his legacy concurrently with his legacy being made!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Name: Diance
Deck Theme: Pretty Cure
Hairstyle: Rainbow pink
Other Information: Very very gay.

(Yes it's a bit silly, but sue me. Even if I've never watched Precure, a quest has me interested. Bring the Magic!)
Glad to see this again.

Also, wouldn't mind if you did the randomization. Or if there was a deck shuffler engine linked up. Is there something like that online?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 04:56:06 pm by TricMagic »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well I googled it, but most of the deck shufflers were not built with things like this in mind.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The easiest solution is to assign each slot in the deck a number, then you randomize them with a list shuffler. After that, you just need to pass out the numbers as they come up.

So

1=Card A
2=Card A
3=Card B
4=Card B
5=Card B
6=Card C

Putting through Random.org's list randomizer, you get`

Card A
Card B
Card C
Card B
Card B
Card A

Just need to throw the assigned deck someone chose through it, and it will get shuffled. Easy peasy. If something shuffles a deck again, you just need to take out the top cards that have already been drawn, or in case of one being taken from the deck, delete that card from the list and reshuffle.

Here is another example you might remember.

Spoiler: List of Stars (click to show/hide)

So I end up with

Star Idol
Duo Starworks
Star Forge
Duo Starworks
Star Elf

I summon Star Elf to get my gen going.
On my next turn, if Star Elf survived I can summon summon Star Forge, who then buffs Star Elf's attack.

This is kinda a point how my first deck isn't really balanced. Duo Starworks are cards that aren't any use until my beatstick is out on the field.

Well, being able to build cards in game will at least allow me to remedy that issue gradually. Building around a core is important.
If Star Student was in my hand, this would mean summoning Celestial Gate, then special summoning Student and Forge, buffing Forge's Attack. Since Student doesn't take any damage from lower attack cards during battle, I'd have a strong beatstick. Which is good given it only has 1 heart.

Edit, note I didn't read the list correctly, so I have Star Idol instead. Which isn't bad if I can get 5 stars to summon it, or two cost cards.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 09:01:22 am by TricMagic »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Day 1 - The Assembly

You and your classmates approach the orb and your deck theme is revealed to you!

Cyoggy Pete comments. "Usually we would have more than just seven people in a class, but we had to downsize them because the CYOGTCG government has put in social distancing restrictions due to CYOGvid, the deadly card game themed coronavirus going around."

It seems that this year the themes of the students are not being kept secret, and you are able to check out your classmates.

-There is G3, a guy with a pompadour hairstyle with three letter "G"s sticking out. His deck theme is Waifus. Cyoggy Pete groans.
-Next is Diance, a girl with a Rainbow Pink hairstyle. Her deck theme is Pretty Cure.
-Then there's Azazel, a guy with a long ponytail. His deck theme is Tentacles.
-Next up is a guy named Jack Jackson, with a bowl cut hairstyle. His deck theme is Paladins.
-Fifth is Brisk, with a clean shaven head. Cyoggy Pete tsks at that. His deck theme is Reptiles.
-Next is Willow, a girl with spiky hair. Her deck theme is Torture.
-And finally there is Selene, a girl with long straight hair. Her deck theme is Zombies!

Cyoggy Pete continues. "Well. There certainly seems to be quite a lot of potential villains in this class... Anyway, now you are going to create your first cards! For this we will just be using the most basic template. To do this, you will submit the information as per this form! As a reminder, a card image should be 100x180 pixels in size"

"The first card that you create will be added to the 'core set' for your class. What this means, is that all of your classmates will be able to freely use that card, so keep that in mind."

---

*Card Name:
*Card Picture:
*Background Color:

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

G3 chuckles confidently to himself. These rules give him a major advantage - normies can't handle the power of a Waifu deck without cringing. This Diance girl might give him trouble in that respect...but there is no way the others will think twice about adding a Waifu to their arsenal!

*Card Name: Shotgun Android Waifu
*Card Picture:
*Background Color: White

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Let the light of friendship enter there, heart and deck. Even evil magical girls can be turned to good after all. Diance smiles, thinking of all the other cards that will be in this core. And checking out the other girls.

*Card Name: Friendship Precure
*Card Picture:
Background Color: Pastel Pink
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 08:18:26 am by TricMagic »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Day 1 - Recess

You take note of the behaviors of some of your fellow classmates.

G3 chuckles to himself. Diance spends some time staring at some of the other girls. Azazel keeps to himself. Jack Jackson is judging the other students, and his disdain seems a bit more obvious than your other classmates. Brisk appears to be in a good mood. Willow appears more outwardly cheerful than her card theme would imply. Selene is being all mysterious and stuff, or at least trying to be.

Seven cards have been added to the Core Set! You will be able to access any of these cards as long as you are a Freshman at CYOGTCG Junior High school. The card you made yourself will be accessible to you until you die.
Spoiler: The Core Set (click to show/hide)
Cyoggy pete starts droning on about friendship for a while, followed by droning on about at least trying not to kill eachother. And with that the assembly comes to an end! Your new student orientation has taken up the entire first half of the day. You have a bit of free time now, but not really enough to get to playing CYOGTCG just yet. You have two classes remaining for the day. First is CYOGTCG Math, which will be followed by CYOGTCG History.

What will you do now? (You will automatically also go to your next class unless you explicitly state you intend to skip it. While it is an option, its not a good one this early in the school year)
>_

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Go talk with Selene. "Zombies are somewhat okay compared to some of the other guy's themes in this class. I'm Diance~would you like to be my friend?" she says with plenty of pep and cheer.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

G3 looks over the cards then looks quizzically around the room.

"Are Iguanas really that tough?"

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Day 1 - CYOGTCG Math Class

Diance goes to talk to Selene. Selene's response was "Whatever I guess"... Whatever that's supposed to mean. G3 expresses some confusion about how tough Iguana's are. Brisk comments "Iguanasss have ssspines, clawsss, grow up to two metersss long and can even run over twenty milesss per hour!"

At any rate, you soon end up in CYOGTCG Math class. Today you learn that when a card attacks another card, both cards lose hearts equal to the other card's attack power; provided that no card effects say something to the contrary. You also learn that a typical card would have a total of five points split between attack and hears, if it does not have any effects and that when a card has beneficial effects it will typically be weaker than a card that does not.

You are now able to specify if a card's attack will be greater than, equal to or less than its hearts, and have a chance to create a card now! Fields with an * next to them are mandatory when creating a card, but you can leave the other fields blank if you want.

*Card Name:
*Card Picture:
*Background Color:
Higher Stat:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48