Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Solar Graveyard - Starlight  (Read 20744 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Solar Graveyard - Starlight
« Reply #105 on: July 03, 2021, 06:57:32 pm »

(I thought he was just editing the dna of the blood sample I gave em? I dont really see Steve willingly letting Lunna modify his on person dna especially after the contract @NJW2000)
((Oops, misread that. I'll change the post quickly))

((There. Sorry, don't mean to make a character do something the player didn't choose to do. ))
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 07:00:04 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 03, 2021, 07:13:32 pm »

((There. Sorry, don't mean to make a character do something the player didn't choose to do. ))
(Its fine thank you for fixing it!)

Lucca looks at the town in fascination. “So many different species, If I had all of that DNA, I could build something truly magnificent! ”. Lucca turns to the crew. “Should we go to town? Also, Steve... I’m very sorry about editing your genes. I forgot about me modifying them until after the contract. I apologize.” Lucca burbles in apologies, Truly a great honor for Steve.

Steve looks at Lucca in confusion before laughing "Hahaha guess there must be a language barrier problem huh? I already gave you permission to modify my blood sample so you are not in violation of your contract...yet." Steve's tone turns serious "Although with that said should you violate your contract there WILL be consequences."

"Anyway I'm going to be heading out to have a chat with the locals and see what opportunities can be made at this "fine establishment" catch you later."
Steve heads out to the settlement to scout out how things are going at the place and see what they got.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 03, 2021, 07:16:48 pm »

"This Adamantite stuff is pretty rough.  That took a lot out of me.
It's been a long time since I was tired like this."  Suzy then wipes her brow with a shop rag.

Timo then jumps in.
"Yeah, that's quite the job there, Suzy.  Well done.  I think you've got the trick of it, so it should be a bit easier next time."

The kitten then floats around and looks at Suzy.

"I think we could manage one a day, if that's okay with both of you."

"..and if we do that, there'll be the matter of payment."  The cat says, grinning.  "I think the first and last bar of adamantite would be fair."

I'm up for hitting the town.  Lets see what they've got here, and if anyone in particular catches my eye.  We could use a couple more crew, even if it's just to help monitor the food production vats.

Ask around about the giant sky beast, too.  What's its name and what kinda things does it do?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 07:09:21 pm by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 03, 2021, 08:28:18 pm »

"Hopefully there are people willing to help us on the basis of our goal... as we already have. We don't have much to barter."
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 03, 2021, 09:14:55 pm »

"I wouldn't say so.  We've got our skills.  Lucca could make these people a much better farm.  Varisdel can make and fix all kinds of machines.  You can pierce through anything.  Steve's very charming.  And I can make lasers, heat beams, and electricity.. even if I'm a bit tired, I could still charge up some pretty big batteries.

I'm sure we can find some way to make things square."
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 09:16:52 pm by Devastator »

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2021, 03:19:15 am »

"I wouldn't say so.  We've got our skills.  Lucca could make these people a much better farm.  Varisdel can make and fix all kinds of machines.  You can pierce through anything.  Steve's very charming.  And I can make lasers, heat beams, and electricity.. even if I'm a bit tired, I could still charge up some pretty big batteries.

I'm sure we can find some way to make things square."

Let’s ask them about Ral, Perhaps they know more then us.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2021, 04:17:39 am »

"That's the giant serpent, right?  That does sound good.."

(Edited my orders to do that.)

(If you can't think of anything, here's my recommendations..

Lucca, keep talking to giant snake.  Find out if it's okay for us to leave, and maybe some stuff about the area around here.  Any places to check out?  Watch out for?  Both?

Varisdel, maybe find some stuff to buy.  The first thing that stands out to me is that our ship isn't very well armed or protected.  Maybe someone has some components for a missile system here, or shield bits or whatever that we could use.  Missiles sound good because we should be able to make more missiles, and they can be loaded with stuff like biological weapons, either toxins or Boarding Dragons, or just explosives.

As for the Stride Blade, maybe just go with someone?  Suzy's willing to carry you, but the others might need the protection more.)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 07:14:21 pm by Devastator »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2021, 08:36:04 pm »

Varisdel is going to go into town or whatever it is and purchase A. some defense systems (even if used or outright broken) and B. a bunch of spare parts and raw materials. If there's any 3D printers or CNC machines or whatever, get those instead of spare parts, they're more generally useful.
The defense systems don't need to be that great, they just need to be able to be worked off of. Tinkering can fix all problems forever. Yes, that's definitely the case.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2021, 08:55:19 pm »

Proceed into town, carried by whoever wants to.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2021, 04:37:30 am »

I know the roster’s full, but can I go on the waitlist?
Spoiler: If so, (click to show/hide)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 13, 2021, 06:37:01 pm »

Steve heads out to the settlement to scout out how things are going at the place and see what they got.
You take a dusty track into the settlement, past dozens of small buildings and into the shade of one of the huge sandstone buildings at the centre of town. They look like temples, but there's no sign of any religious practices: people wander in and out, sometimes carrying bundles of goods or leading animals, as if the buildings are used for storage or accommodation.

The settlement is doing reasonably. There are small patches of farmland, even the odd animal grazing. The people here are scruffy but look reasonably well fed. There isn't much purposeful movement. Apart from a few farmers, shopkeepers, and day labourers, nobody seems to be doing much here. People are selling the usual dross: food, clothing, farm animals. One is selling maps of the planet's surface, and highly dubious sketches of the surrounding void, but apart from that there aren't many interesting items on sale.

You note that the majority of the inhabitants seem to be from this planet, olive-skinned humanoids, although there are many refugees from across the worlds mixed in among them.

There don't seem to be any obvious leaders here.

I'm up for hitting the town.  Lets see what they've got here, and if anyone in particular catches my eye.  We could use a couple more crew, even if it's just to help monitor the food production vats.

Ask around about the giant sky beast, too.  What's its name and what kinda things does it do?

The town is equal parts shacks cobbled together from scrap and imposing buildings carved from sheer rock. They have several voidcraft, but none as sturdy as yours: everything looks like it was made to navigate the exploded planet you're on, rather than set out across the universe. You walk in with the stride blade across your back.

Nobody here seems particularly ideal for a quest across the universe. Sure, there are some folks tinkering at devices that look competent enough, and you spot a couple of hulking offworlders standing head and shoulders above the rest that look like they could handle themselves. The issue is more one of attitude: they don't seem interested in excitement, or saving the universes, or leaving this settlement. Nobody comes across as particularly hungry for work, and they laugh or turn away when you talk about leaving the planet. There's a reason for that.

You ask a group of three old men lounging on the steps of the largest temple about the thing in the sky.

"That would be Ral, the world serpent."

"Yup, that's good ol' Ral."

The third man gestures to a huge series of engravings carved into the side of a building some distance away, and recites from memory:

"The great serpent lurked at the heart of the world for millenia, sealed in stone and fire. It was prophesied that at the end of days, Ral, the last and strongest of the Titans, would emerge from his prison to devour the world and everything in it. Only those of the royal bloodline of the kings of the Vally of Lillies would be spared the monstrous appetite of the world serpent, that they might return to the land of their divine ancestors within the sun."

"When the Reivers came, they didn't plunder our world. The people responsible for the current state of affairs came later. Some people say the Tungsten Heresiarch's engineers tore the planet open to get at the metal within. Some people say that wizards did this, in an attempt to extract the beating heart of the world. We don't really know who it was. What we do know -"

"What we do know is that Ral dint take too kindly," his companion interrupts excitedly, spittle flying. "He just came flying out as soon as they opened up the world, and we had no more trouble from them, no sir. And not from anyone else since."

Apparently, Ral does not let anyone leave the planet, not even off-worlders. He intends to consume the entire world when the slow disintegration of the planet is finally complete, and that includes everybody on it. Everyone here has come to terms with that fact, and are willing to live the remainder of their lives in this place. Ral meanwhile waits patiently, protecting the world until it's properly destroyed and can be eaten, fighting off any monsters, chasm beasts or bandits unwise enough to go near his world. It's a safer place than most, all things considered.

You do find out about a small group of offworld refugees committed to leaving the planet. Every previous attempt to leave has run up against Ral, and either turned back or never been heard from again, but these people have never even managed to get their hands on a voidship. There's a particular bar they hang out in, if you're interested in recruiting some, but these people aren't exactly the planet's finest. In fact, they're something of a laughing stock.

Varisdel is going to go into town or whatever it is and purchase A. some defense systems (even if used or outright broken) and B. a bunch of spare parts and raw materials. If there's any 3D printers or CNC machines or whatever, get those instead of spare parts, they're more generally useful.
The defense systems don't need to be that great, they just need to be able to be worked off of. Tinkering can fix all problems forever. Yes, that's definitely the case.

Sadly, there are no 3D printers, nothing like that. There aren't very many viable ship weapons on sale at the handful of dirty shacks and near-junkyards you visit. You patiently inspect countless scrap heaps as people try to fleece you into buying rusty tangles of wood and iron, until you finally find a squat crocodile-woman willing to trade for a handful of worthwhile things. Three possibilities present themselves.

For four bars of obdurite, someone offers you a powerful mechanical combat drone, a man-sized steel beetle, rocket-propelled and armed with an assortment of vicious cutting tools and ranged weapons. This is Loian technology, made by the same species that created the sentient blade Suzy is carrying. A pretty sophisticated bit of technology, even by your standards.

For three bars, you could get your hands on a lightweight launch system capable of firing half a dozen guided self-propelling missiles. Perfect for mounting on the ship or even Suzy's tank. While the explosives look reasonably powerful, the main plus here would be that you could customise the missiles, making them better trackers or adding special payloads.

For two bars, you can buy a fully functional ballista, intimidatingly large but barely more effective than the flechettes cannons the ship already has, or a more powerful but completely wrecked laser cannon.

A decent number of general-purpose spare parts, rusty but workable, could probably be bartered for one bar of Obdurite - you don't have much else to trade, apart from the ship's supplies. You could pay in services, but that would entail everyone spending a while here while you tinkered or Lucca gene-shifted folks or the others did who knows what.

One bar of adamantine is roughly equivalent in value to two of Obdurite.

Proceed into town, carried by whoever wants to.
You proceed on Suzy's back. This place has seen better days, but it isn't falling apart. No visible defences to speak of, which is odd for a settlement exposed to the void. You know countless Chasm beasts capable of tearing through this place in minutes have reached the surface, so that's pretty strange. If the people here aren't even worried about being attacked, fighting Ral head-on probably isn't a good plan.

Spoiler: Naturegirl (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 13, 2021, 06:52:05 pm »

I send a psionic call out to Ral

Hello? Can you tell me more about yourself, Also, Did you know my race? You seem like something they would make.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 13, 2021, 08:08:13 pm »

(A couple opportunities come to mind..

If there's truth about this bloodline stuff, a quick bit of genetic engineering might free us from this place.  Also, laser-girl might make a pretty convincing argument for having solar relatives, if we can't find any samples to work with and are willing to take the risk.)

(Another possibility is we take advantage of the local safety to build up.  We probably should deal with the sky-serpent, since the shard colony that fitted us out would also be part of this planet, and thus on the list of things to eat.  At the time of leaving we could have our ship properly equipped, maybe even spare weapons or such for the locals to replace the sky-serpent.  It'd take a bit of development and mining, but we can build tools to build a factory to build what we need, even if it'd take some time.)

(We might also be able to just blow it away by using the space-sword to pierce the distance in the heavens, escaping us from the planet without a fight.  Assuming we can't just cut a deal with it, anyway.  Psionic communication might mean we can just negotiate our exit.)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 13, 2021, 09:47:54 pm »

A spot of chasm-navigation could bypass this, right?

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 13, 2021, 10:38:47 pm »

"Hmm"
Head out to talk with these "laughing stocks" and see how desperate useful they are for me the mission. (Preferably before Suzy gets to them)

Edit: (I think trying to straight up kill Ral is a terrible idea while he does intend to eat the planet he is also waiting for the planet to pretty much entirely break apart before making a attempt which (as long as nothing unnaturally speeds it up anymore) could take thousands up to millions of years. Plus it would most certainly piss off most of the people living on the planet and there is a very real possibility he will just kill us all. Our best bet is either negotiation or tricking it in some way maybe with a remote drone wink wink nudge nudge. Finding someone with the royal bloodline is probably also another option cause I highly doubt he would risk attacking us if we had someone like that for it could kill them as well (assuming the prophecy is 100% accurate))
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 11:02:10 pm by Fluffe9911 »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12