Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Solar Graveyard - Starlight  (Read 19442 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Solar Graveyard
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2021, 08:41:48 pm »

"Lets wait and see who's around up there.  Maybe someone owns the stuff already."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2021, 08:47:41 pm »

"I am quite accustomed to waiting, and as yet we have no way to directly pursue our goal, and thus there's no time pressure on us."
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2021, 06:44:14 am »

Would any of you mind giving me a blood sample? I promise no voodoo, I’m more of a psionic type.”

"Eh? Oh yeah sure just make it quick I got things I need to check up on."

Thanks.” Lucca takes some of Steve’s blood and Analyze’s it and checks if he can make some “Modifications”.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2021, 04:23:14 am »

Any action, Glass?
One wheel short of a wagon

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2021, 01:36:56 pm »

(I was mainly waiting to see if anybody else intended to make requests regarding the drones. Evidently, no.)

Varisdel sends a few drones immediately ahead, while having the rest scan - but not harvest - the planet as a whole.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 04:18:24 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2021, 03:19:17 pm »

(In my case, mostly just 'wait and see to make sure you aren't disassembling someone's home', but I think we should pick up what resources we can for a couple turns, after doing that.)

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2021, 07:11:53 pm »

Here’s my character.  Could you pm me when I get put into the game?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Solar Graveyard - Starlight
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2021, 10:17:19 am »

STARLIGHT

"Sure.. I think I saw some hard stuff in the workshop."

Timo speaks up. "Don't forget your powers too, Suzy.  Maybe you can jazz up breakfast a bit, turn it into something tasty."

Lets try out my powers.  Gather a bowl of nutritious gruel and see if I can turn it into real Nutriwheat! gruel.  Maybe I can even make the protein flavoring a bit more jazzed up, like a bit of real mustard!

Then, after eating, lets head over to the workshop and find a nice target to try out the sword on.  Stab!

Same with her own powers.  Lets try all three.  Lasers, heat rays, and electricity, one at a time.

You take a bowful of nutritious gruel from the tanks at the back of the ship, and attempt to transform it into something with a different structure.

A few minutes later, the gruel is a thin layer of carbon adhering to what remains of the bowl. Might have projected a bit too much heat there.

You move on to combat testing. You suit up, your voidsuit specially modified to allow energy projection, and carry out a series of worn iron target dummies, and stand on the surface of the ship, boots easily gripping the rough surface, tossing them into the wide spaces between chunks of planetary core and watching them drift slowly downwrds. Couldn't exactly give your powers free reign back on the Needle but out here it shouldn't really matter.

Your inital lasers are powerful enough to melt iron, leaving incandescent orange and white patches, even gaping holes in the metal when you manage to hit with a sustained burst. The lasers are however hard to aim, especially when the targets tumble erratically about, and you often miss, the laser carving dull red lines of hot metal across the chunks of iron floating around the ship.

Waves of heat affect much larger areas, but aren't strong enough to do anything to the metal dummies, only burning off a couple of straps and bits of string still attached. Electricity generally doesn't hit, instead crackling harmlessly about the gauntlets of your suit, once or twice arcing down your suit to the tough sides of the voidship. Not enough atmosphere out here to throw lightning.

The Stride Blade is something else entirely. You secure the last two of targets, take the long handle of the sword in two hands, and move it back awkwardly, the blade pointing behind you, ready to take an experimental swing. Even for someone with your improved physique, greatswords are not easy to use.

You move the sword in an arc, swinging it almost horizontally at the level of yours shoulders, a blow capable of decapitating an ordinary human. The first dummy's crude head tumbles away into the void, the stride blade cutting through the thick iron with ease. As you finish your swing, the blade doesn't slow down but starts to move faster, leaping in your grip to point at the other target and accelerating towards it. In an instant, you're pulled towards the dummy and then through it, finishing the motion on one knee with your right arm extended, the sword pointed straight ahead of you, perfectly still. Looking back, the target has been torn in half, the head and most of the torso gone, the legs and sides swaying independently. The whole process took less than a second.

"Hmm well isn't that interesting..."

Steve attempts to figure out how to activate the thing that detaches the front of the ship... just in case

After spending some time studying the controls, you deduce that it's a pretty simple sequence of inputs, something you could do with only two limbs. Nice! These controls are a lot simpler than they look.

Thanks.” Lucca takes some of Steve’s blood and Analyze’s it and checks if he can make some “Modifications”.
You focus your psionic intuition on Steve's blood sample, and consider his genetic code. It all looks like a pretty standard boring humanoid, the kind of uninteresting mess you get in societies that have advanced technologically past natural selection but haven't introduced heavy genetic modification yet. So... a lot to improve on.

It would be quite easy to write in a few large-scale changes and make him slowly become a bit stronger, faster, or sturdier. It would also be a fairly simple matter to make his cells a bit more suited to the harsher environments he might be facing, a bit more disease-resistant, better at storing energy, that sort of thing. You could start those modifications at once, if you like. It wouldn't be as much as the sustained changes someone or something has been making to Suzy's body, but it would be worth doing.

Sadly, you can't see any obvious paths to more interesting mods: no latent telepathy in his genetic code, no ancient predator genes to make him a were-creature, no genetic switches to flip and make him grow armour plating or poison sacs. Anything like that you're going to have to use your own store of weird genes and implant stuff, a much more involved process.

(I was mainly waiting to see if anybody else intended to make requests regarding the drones. Evidently, no.)

Varisdel sends a few drones immediately ahead, while having the rest scan - but not harvest - the planet as a whole.
You release the drones from one of the airlocks, watching as the machines scatter. A handful turn and push ahead of the ship, scanning the areas immediately above it. The rest fan out across the exploded core of the planet, controlling their course with short, economical bursts of fuel. It will be a while before those are back within range.

The drones you sent ahead reveal a vein of Obdurite, a lesser cousin to adamantine, very hard and light, quite easy to work. The voidships stops briefly for you to harvest it from the huge chunks of mantle you're now passing through. Extracting the metal from the ore is easy enough, and by the end you're left with five bars. You could probably barter it for something useful or keep it around for repairs, new devices, etc.

After several hours more, the ship reaches a long gap in the floating chunks of planetary core, stars visible ahead. It picks up speed and traverses hundreds of kilometres in a few hours, moving straight towards open space, and only slowing once you reach the outskirts of the shattered crust. The lights of a settlement on what used to be the surface of the planet are visible a few hundred miles away, while open space beckons just above. Even without an atmosphere, the sight of dawn over the broken world is spectacular, the sun rising on huge overturned mountains, glinting on jagged slabs of rock and metal strung out like beads in space.

As you look out of the bridge windows, Suzy catches a glimpse of something above you. It's barely visible, just a shifting region of the sky where the stars are a little dimmer, the darkness between them a little lighter. It loops and darts across the void above you, a long outline against the blackness, long, twisting and incredibly large. It's not something any of you recognise: Varisdel is pretty sure it's not mechanical, the Stride Blade knows it isn't a Chasm creature, and Lucca can't remember his people creating something like this. Perhaps this is the thing that protects the remains of this planet.

Spoiler: Ship (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventories, etc (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 10:29:24 am by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2021, 02:33:01 pm »

Lucca fanboys at the creature then very visibly forces himself to get back to Steve’s dna. He adds a few modifications, Increased strength and toughness, Speed and etc. After doing this, Lucca sends out a psionic signal to the creature, Trying to communicate.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2021, 06:40:56 pm »

(..are you poking the elder god?)

"This is a really, really nice sword."

"Yes it is", speaks Timo, sounding his voice inside Suzy's helmet.

"Hmm.. we probably should get in some more practice hitting targets.  We didn't really have the distance indoors.  And I think we should work on coordination.", says Timo.  "Does that mean..?" responds Suzy.

"Yes, it means more dance training!  And maybe a few more things.  Like we should make you a staff to help aim, and maybe we can make a better voidsuit, one more easy to move in."  Timo continues.

After re-entering, Suzy tries to chat with each crewmember separately.

Steve/Fluffe9911.

"Hey, Steve, do you have any opinions on uniforms?  I see you're wearing a fancy suit..

..anyway,  I'm going to try and make uniforms for us all, and would like any advice you have on designs and what not.  You could come help me too, maybe?  At the least, could you tell me what colour you want, and what kinda logo would represent you."

Glass/Varisdel.

"Hey, Varisdel, would you like a uniform?  I'm just going to make some new clothing to replace these rags I've got, and wondering if you're interested too.  If you do want, let me know what colour and what kind of logo you want on it."

"How'd the prospecting go?"

Lucca/Knightwing64

With Lucca, the floating kitty Timo does the speaking.

"Hey, we need to talk.  Suzy wants to make a uniform for you, but we also need to talk about your genemodding thing.  I'd like to run an experiment to find out if it's safe to combine with Suzy's magic."

Stride Blade/Egan_BW

"Would you mind if I put some cloth on your scabbard?  I'm making uniforms for the others, and would like to add something for you, too.  If you're up for it, let me know what colour you want, and if you want a logo or something on it to represent you."
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 02:23:42 pm by Devastator »

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2021, 07:43:02 pm »

(..are you poking the elder god?)

(I am the elder god.  8), But I’m thinking that because of plot and the fact that my character is a mind rape squid that this is going to work. :)) Also, I find that hilarious so imma sig. :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 07:47:12 pm by Knightwing64 »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2021, 07:48:26 pm »

(We don't even know if it's physical, atm.  Please don't lean on plot to prevent characters from dying... NJW has killed characters in the past.)

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2021, 07:49:23 pm »

Steve looks awestruck staring at the creature above him it takes Suzy questioning him to snap him out of it
""Hey, Steve, do you have any opinions on uniforms?  I see you're wearing a fancy suit..
"Oh I apologize for my hesitation was a bit distracted looking at that... thing. Anyway I for one think uniforms are a necessity in situations where showing professionalism and class are required which back home was almost all the time. As for if I got to wear a suit or not well I'll let my current attire speak for that. "
..anyway,  I'm going to try and make uniforms for us all, and would like any advice you have on designs and what not.  You could come help me too, maybe?  At the least, could you tell me what colour you want, and what kinda logo would represent you."
"I'm afraid I have no skill when it comes to manufacturing clothing that's the laborer's job after all. As for design though I always had a soft spot for atlantis blue used to have a suit that color I would wear to festivities. As for logos ill let you decide but don't make it any larger than a pin unless you plan on paying me to wear it or I might as well be off to Clown College™.  "

"Now I answered your questions I'm going to see if this ship has some type of database system or something useful akin to that."

After all the talking is over with see if there is any type of database on the ship that includes documentation on things like that massive creature.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 06:09:21 pm by Fluffe9911 »

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2021, 07:53:47 pm »

(We don't even know if it's physical, atm.  Please don't lean on plot to prevent characters from dying... NJW has killed characters in the past.)

(I’m aware, I was mostly joking about the plot thing, But I have a few reasons for doing this, One: New genes and a landmine of knowledge if it’s friendly. Plus, It was stated to be protecting the remains of the planet, Which indicates that at the very least, It could be reasoned with. Two: it knows more of the planet then we do and can be a good guide. Even at the worst possible situation, It is very large and probably slow, So we could run.)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2021, 08:38:35 pm »

(We could ask someone at the settlement about it, first.)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 09:38:05 pm by Devastator »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12