Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Iceberg?  (Read 6012 times)

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
  • "Elves make no sense, change my mind."
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Iceberg?
« on: June 22, 2021, 06:03:24 am »

Recently (and by that I mean, three months ago), people were making a whole lot of icebergs for various different things, especially video games. So we had icebergs on Super Mario 64, Zelda 64, Speedrunning, ROM Hacking, and so on and so forth.
But is there such a thing for DF? And if not, how about we make one right here, right now? Considering the amount of recorded forum/dev history we have in here, there should be enough theories or facts to make a whole iceberg, that plus the gory-outworldy nature of DF really fits the general tone of Icebergs getting worse and worse as you plunge deeply within its waters.
So, what do you think?
"Military? What's that? Something to eat?"

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Iceberg?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 06:38:24 am »

I think I've seen one around somewhere. It included Armok is: a god -> the player -> arm_ok.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 11:08:30 am »

Ive got no idea about the thing you refer to, but DF doesn't support icebergs because DF water freezes and thaws instantly throughout the whole water column. It might be possible to build a magma heating envelope that allowed the ice within the giant "bottle" to melt along all sides, including the bottom, but as soon as the last supporting tile melts the whole "iceberg" would cave-in, as DF ice doesn't float. You might possibly even be able to get a self regenerating water piston out of it, although I doubt it would work.

The map rewrite may or may not support icebergs (and other things being naturally buoyant).

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
  • "Elves make no sense, change my mind."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 11:15:54 am »

Ive got no idea about the thing you refer to, but DF doesn't support icebergs because DF water freezes and thaws instantly throughout the whole water column. It might be possible to build a magma heating envelope that allowed the ice within the giant "bottle" to melt along all sides, including the bottom, but as soon as the last supporting tile melts the whole "iceberg" would cave-in, as DF ice doesn't float. You might possibly even be able to get a self regenerating water piston out of it, although I doubt it would work.

The map rewrite may or may not support icebergs (and other things being naturally buoyant).

Uuuuuuh... That's... Totally not what I was refering to.
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/sm64-conspicaries/images/2/2a/Iceberg.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/1000?cb=20200610152948
"Military? What's that? Something to eat?"

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 12:01:34 pm »

Fikilili, the act of forcing lore onto unsuspecting nostalgia anchors is unlikely to find much support around here. This game generates it's own lore

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 12:27:07 pm »

Uuuuuuh... That's... Totally not what I was refering to.
The trouble is, you made your "let's have this abstract thing that's named after this other real thing" message with far too much peppering of associated metaphor to the real thing. It took me a few moments to work out that Bumber's reply was not a non-sequiter (or possibly a reference to some sort of easter-egg set into an iceberg of some other game like the Commander Keen in the Doom 'secret' level) but referencing a metaphorical phenomenon that has mostly passed me by.

Thus unfortunate clumsiness aside, I don't think trying to harpoon a DF iceberg of ideas is a problem, even with the established lore-gathering we have. (Though I seem to get just a 'broken image' when I follow the link you provided, so I'm not entirely sure what result we're fulfilling.)

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 03:46:42 pm »

I made this one.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 05:40:33 am »

Haha that's a funny one. You could probably just list the hall of legends onto an iceberg macro and get much the same effect

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 02:08:07 pm »

Mermaid bone farms, 2cat, ghostly underwater animal trainers, felsite

Mugh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 10:45:35 pm »

« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 08:05:49 am by Mugh »

DogsRNice

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Maclunky
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2021, 10:09:32 pm »

Unless I missed it planepacked would be a good addition to this
I had an FB named Ned once.  I kept imagining a giant Ned Flanders...

Want an underground tree with green wood? Check out this tiny mod I made to add one

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2021, 05:22:18 am »

"all mods are canon" haha

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2021, 01:12:58 am »

The UI is actually good
Based
Max avatar size is 80x80

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2021, 07:34:50 am »

Possible additions:
The original Urist, layer 4?
Dwarves are master physicists with advanced technology, probably layer 2 or 3.
Draining the magma sea, probably also layer 2 or 3.
Dragslay? Dunno what layer you'd stick that on.
DF inspired Minecraft, also dunno what layer.
Toady's murder clause in his will, layer 2?
97.107.128.126, layer 4?
Threetoe stories are all going to be possible in-game, layer 4 or 5.
Dwarven hive mind: layer 2?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2021, 12:09:55 pm »

Threetoe stories are all going to be possible in-game, layer 4 or 5.

More like threetoe & contributor stories as details of the game they already have are sent backwards from the future in order to help build hype and make a unremarkable colony simulator game, the legendary DF it is today.
Pages: [1] 2