Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Rarest Creature in DF; What is it?  (Read 6909 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Rarest Creature in DF; What is it?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2021, 05:08:15 pm »

Purring maggots. Very, very rarely do I see any. Way back before the caverns were added you could find them in any site with a chasm or cave river.

But as far as large beasts go, cave dragons. Extremely rare to see any of those, too.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2021, 04:43:48 am »

I was just introduced to the existence of flesh balls, and I think they might win the prize because I, at least, have never, ever, seen one or even heard tell of their existence, either in community forts (of which I’ve read many), or elsewhere, up ‘til now.

Whereas I may never have seen a unicorn or a purring maggot or some of the ‘mineral men’, but I’ve definitely heard about them and heard stories with them there.
This is anecdotal, though, and your mileage definitely varies.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2021, 04:48:43 am »

Now you're shifting the focus from the creatures to products acquired from the creatures, and that's different.

Hmmm, I suppose we are looking for unique creatures, not produced variations.

Wait, reanimated body parts count as byproducts? They do become things of their own units once reanimated as undead, as far as I am aware.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2021, 05:48:48 am »

I was just introduced to the existence of flesh balls, and I think they might win the prize because I, at least, have never, ever, seen one or even heard tell of their existence, either in community forts (of which I’ve read many), or elsewhere, up ‘til now.

Whereas I may never have seen a unicorn or a purring maggot or some of the ‘mineral men’, but I’ve definitely heard about them and heard stories with them there.
This is anecdotal, though, and your mileage definitely varies.

Seen flesh balls, im not afraid of water caverns which the balls get caught up on because they are hilariously bad at swimming. I just go about it like a elf and create a mushroom-top society because thats pretty much the only way you can propogate horizontally across that area without doing more water-engineering to create a dam. Least enough to block-bridge to the nearest solid rock formation so i can start digging past it.

Its a pity, flesh balls theoretically can be used in traps by forecfully puncturing them with upright spears & drops in which to exude the gas inside so a tightly packed room of goblins is sent soundly to sleep before dwarves run in, take off helmets and club them to death.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2021, 05:37:20 pm »

I believe purring maggots are broken in a way that they don't appear at all, I've never seen them, despite the wiki claiming they appear at cavern layers 2-3, during all seasons. But I have never seen them. From what I hear they used to be common in the 2D version.

Wait, so no way of producing dwarven milk?
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2021, 10:59:18 pm »

I had been wondering if that were the case. You can use flocks of turkeys or pigs to root up vermin for animal trappers to catch, that might be the best way to search for them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2021, 05:58:10 am »

I had been wondering if that were the case. You can use flocks of turkeys or pigs to root up vermin for animal trappers to catch, that might be the best way to search for them.

It'd need [VERMIN_SOIL] for truffle-pigs to snout them out of the soil. Also with its [VERMIN_NOROAM] it will apparently just spawn in when a high quality baited trap is ready.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2021, 08:04:53 am »

Also with its [VERMIN_NOROAM] it will apparently just spawn in when a high quality baited trap is ready.

In that case, would it be better to put cats around the traps? Do no-roam vermins simply materialise into the trap, while regular vermin gets kept out of the trap by cats?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2021, 03:02:28 pm »

Also with its [VERMIN_NOROAM] it will apparently just spawn in when a high quality baited trap is ready.

In that case, would it be better to put cats around the traps? Do no-roam vermins simply materialise into the trap, while regular vermin gets kept out of the trap by cats?

This is secondhand wiki information so i can't clarify, i do believe they just materialise inside rather than around the high quality trap with the bait attractant inside, they'll spawn in on that tile, eat it, trigger trap or probably just time-out vanish if they fail since they can't tolerate "roaming" or being seen to move.

So a array of a "maggot farm" would be a mossy patch preferably walled up in the caverns with masterwork wood or metal traps in a grid within walking distance of a small meat pile (which might be trapped to deter food theives animals, or in a burrow to deter dwarves running to eat it), mixing cats with any kind of vermin is typically a bad idea incase they stand ontop of the trap and try to kill the vermin as they spawn in unless they're on restraints or something.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2021, 06:48:12 pm »

« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 06:50:26 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2021, 07:44:07 pm »

I'm afraid not.
No ogress milk either.
Now that is such a dissapointment. Why no ogress milk!?

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2021, 02:11:13 am »

I'm afraid not.
No ogress milk either.
Because dwarven ethics don't accept slavery AND because ogres don't have the tag that cause them to officially produce milk (all mammals produce milk, but most of them aren't milked because it's not worth the trouble [mice are milked in real life in some areas of research]).

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2021, 04:30:35 am »

I'm afraid not.
No ogress milk either.
Because dwarven ethics don't accept slavery AND because ogres don't have the tag that cause them to officially produce milk (all mammals produce milk, but most of them aren't milked because it's not worth the trouble [mice are milked in real life in some areas of research]).
yeahhh, milking an ogress is almost as horrible as milking an elf
I mean ‘irl’ they could probably both be milked given the right condition but oh god oh god oh god
(oh dear lord)
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2021, 09:03:05 am »

I'm afraid not.
No ogress milk either.
How do you know ogres are mammals?

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2021, 09:09:28 am »

I'm afraid not.
No ogress milk either.
How do you know ogres are mammals?
We don't. They could be plants for all we know, like the orks of 40k are "mushrooms".

Nah. Ogres have flesh and bones, and the last time i checked, they don't lay eggs.
(Oh god, why did i have to put this image into my head?)

Also, on the topic of this thread; have Sea Serpents been considered yet?
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Pages: 1 [2] 3