Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Rarest Creature in DF; What is it?  (Read 6903 times)

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
Re: Rarest Creature in DF; What is it?
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2021, 12:35:17 pm »

Most sharks dont lay eggs either, that doesnt make them mammals

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2021, 01:18:00 pm »

Most sharks dont lay eggs either, that doesnt make them mammals

Yes, you're correct... in a sense. Mammals are defined by the fetus' direct, physical connection to the mother via the placenta, as well as the nursing of their young by the way of milk produced from the mammary glands, more so the latter even than the former, hence 'mammal'.
Said sharks, and certain "live birthing" serpents don't. As well, they still produce an egg, complete with a shell, just like other egg-laying animals, it just remains inside the mother's body until hatching.
So, said sharks and serpents still very clearly fall under the definition of oviparous(egg laying) animals, although the correct term for this is "ovoviviparous".

So in the context of that discussion. I guess ogres are lizards now? I have no issues with this.

fake edit: I know what you're gonna say next: 'Platypus'. I know. Platypuses are a weird, weird evolutionary stepping stone between reptiles and mammals. But the thing is, platypuses still have mammary glands that produce milk, the defining characteristic of mammals.
(Oh god, why do i keep doing this to myself?! Now i'm thinking of milking platypuses! Why, brain?)
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2021, 01:50:42 pm »

(To the ninja that came in while I was fumblingly editing my following post down from its original technoramble, and following up the prior mention of eggs. I just want to mention montremes, the non-placental egg-laying mammals. They do all (I think) have mammary glands, but no teats, they just 'sweat' milk.)

There's no reason to believe that an elf is any more than a endoskeletal humanoid. As with goblins, the theoretical cladogram uniting the various humanoids might need to reach a long way back to find the common ancestry with the (presumably mammalian) humans, but then so also with Nano Sapien.

Deep into whatever theory we might posit as the whole pre-pre-Worldgen schtick to subscribe to, they may just be parallel evolution(/Creation by Armok, going with a formulaic pattern He didn't feel like messing about with), but then all bets are off as to whether any phenotpical features relate to true family-membership.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2021, 08:37:43 pm »

To be fair, milking a platypus would be no more tedious than giving it a belly rub, because while they have mammary glands, they do not have teats or breasts of any sort. Milk just oozes out of the pores on their belly. So milking a platypus would just be adorable and sticky.

But back on topic, sea serpents do show up surprisingly "often" if you visit the shores of oceans they dwell in, because like whales they can beach themselves. they appear on the shore. Sea monsters on the other hand are reasonably rare to stumble upon.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 10:32:03 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2021, 09:24:17 pm »

I just checked the raws and ogres do indeed have [CREATURE_CLASS: MAMMAL], so there's your answer.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2021, 11:39:45 pm »

I just checked the raws and ogres do indeed have [CREATURE_CLASS: MAMMAL], so there's your answer.
Now the question is, are they monotremes, marsupials or placentaries?

Edit.
Some other posts got me thinking, if goblins do not eat, then they don't breastfeed their babies. Does that mean female goblins have no breasts?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 11:46:55 pm by klefenz »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2021, 01:48:07 am »

Edit.
Some other posts got me thinking, if goblins do not eat, then they don't breastfeed their babies. Does that mean female goblins have no breasts?
Ogres: Given that ogres are humanoid, the base assumption would be that they're placental.

Goblins: Maybe they've gone the whole way in the human direction, i.e. breasts as purely a sexual feature?

And concerning shark, as far as I understand at least some species have navels resulting from an umbilical cord connection to their mothers, but the don't produce any milk, and, even if they did, wouldn't be mammals but rather feature parallel evolution (or, rather, mammals would, as I suspect the shark umbilical cord usage may well predate the appearance of mammals).

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2021, 03:26:47 am »

There's no reason to believe that an elf is any more than a endoskeletal humanoid. As with goblins, the theoretical cladogram uniting the various humanoids might need to reach a long way back to find the common ancestry with the (presumably mammalian) humans, but then so also with Nano Sapien.

sigged, also impressive knowledge of monotremes.. you must be drowning in elf ladies

Someone mention Sea Serpent, I completely agree. Wasn't there some community story, about someone who attempting to swim across an ocean in adventure mode? I believe that featured Sea Serpents in a surprising way but I don't have the link.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2021, 09:48:46 am »

sigged, also impressive knowledge of monotremes.. you must be drowning in elf ladies
Enough of your casual platytudes. I've no elven lassies here, I kiddin'ya not...  There's no horny fey ring, cuz, or any other such tacky gloss on my life.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2021, 02:25:29 pm »

My hypothesis is that most of the humanoid monsters are highly-specialized hominids, so they'd be placentals in that case.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2021, 12:42:21 pm »

Hmmm, yes, the things we are disscussing here are very relevant to the topic. Seriously though, what would be the rarest kind of creature ever in DF?
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2021, 02:00:10 pm »

I mean that's what conversations do, they evolve and branch off the longer you have them, but sure let's get back to the topic on hand. :P

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2021, 10:53:33 pm »

a dwarf that isn't a drunk
an elf that isn't a sadist
a human that isn't dirty and fat
a dragon that isn't 5 years old
a minotaur that actually fights
a kea that doesn't
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 10:56:59 pm by Salmeuk »

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2021, 05:14:25 am »

a dwarf that isn't a drunk
an elf that isn't a sadist
a human that isn't dirty and fat
a dragon that isn't 5 years old
a minotaur that actually fights
a kea that doesn't
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All of these are valid answers as far as I am concerned.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2021, 05:35:40 am »

Werewolves.

Ive seen a whole lot of werebeasts from werepigs to werepandas but not even once have I seen an actual run of the mill standard generic werewolf
Pages: 1 2 [3]