Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Story of Uthra Twilightwailed. [This story has been a  (Read 2619 times)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
My Story of Uthra Twilightwailed. [This story has been a
« on: January 27, 2008, 02:06:00 pm »

[I dont plan on reclaiming it, either]

*This tome is highly damaged, covered in century-old blood, and has what seems like a sword-hole through it's middle.*
(We've begun recording here because most of the book is of no historical significance or too hard to read)
He saved me from death. I was nothing but a poor drunk in Decapkulur. "Uthra Twlightwails," is what he approached me saying "Swordsman by choice, and looking for a companion. Have you any cartography skills, friend?"
"Yes!" I replied, happy, mostly because this was the first time anyone has talked to me as if I were another human and not a stinking horse. I wasnt lying to him, because my grandfather was once a map-maker in the capital. I learned alot from him.
"Are you willing to face death, beasts, and Megabeasts in a search for glory and wealth?" I thought he was kidding, but the straight face he had told me he was on a madman's journey.
"Hey, it's better than being here, let's start immediately!"

He went and talked to our mayor, in search of a task to complete. We were told to kill a Minotaur that has presumably wiped out an entire Kobold camp, and kept all the goods. Uthra and I went around asking locals for directions to the cave, and where any local hot-spots of grime were. We learned of a cave or three, and a few ruins. We left the next morning, going the direction a local had said to go.

It was only a 3 hour or so jog to the site. When we had reached the area, we saw kobold and monster corpses scattered about, in a very gruesome manner. I was barely able to keep myself from succumbing ti illness right there. Uthra kept his head though, and pointed out that the carnage led in a general direction. I nodded and followed him. We met a few kobolds along the path, but they were all long into madness, and attacked us with no fear of death. Uthra dispatched of them quickly. We killed many children in such a short time, I cant help but feel guilt.

We found a large hole in the ground, about 20 feet deep, lined with slopes. This had to be the cave, no beast could make this, only a kobold. Without a second thought, Uthra ran in, and I followed him closely, for fear that a spider may eat me alive if I stray too far. We found a large huddle of antmen and ratmen, they all seemed terrified, but without a pause, they charged us, as if pushed by some daemonic force.

An hour or so later, we had dealt with all the monsters, without finding the Minotaur, when a large, soul shattering bellow came from deep within the darkness. "I AM NESHAST APESSLING! PREPARE TO DIE!" Uthra replied with "I WILL BE THE ONE RIPPING YOUR GUTS FROM YOU THIS EVENING, BEAST!" Uthra charged at the voice's source.

A terrible fight ensued. I jumped onto his back and began trying to claw his eye's out, while all the monster did was focus on Uthra. He crushed his right arm and near-severed his left with a horn. But Uthra stood defiant! He took one large swing at his leg, and took it clean off! It released a deafening scream, filled with pain and anger, and with this, Uthra jumped back, ran at the beast, and took a strong swing at it's midsection, cutting it in half! I was utterly amazed, we had defeated a Minotaur! I knew that from now on, Uthra was the man I would follow, to hell and back if need be.

"Well, that about clears this up. Let's get out of here before the spiders come and try to eat these corpses. We do not want to be here if they come." I nodded and followed him out of the cave.

We reached the town the next day, slowed down by Uthra's wounds, which I had took the initiative to patch up. Uthra entered the city, with townspeople gawking at him as if he has just falled from the sky. People asked me if we really did kill the monster. I had a good time at the tavern that night, I got to regale the story to all the people who thought I would never become anything. uthra went to the mayor's quarters and discussed his reward and another task. Out reward this time was a rank, a Title, if need be. We are champions. Second to noone. It felt good. Uthra came back and told me we are setting out tonight. I didnt ask why we were leaving so quickly.

The next day, "Thine, we are tasked to kill a Cyclops. He resides in another Kobold cave, but this time, the Kobolds and him and friendly with eachother. This will be a very dangerous mission." He looked me in the eyes for a while, almost challenging me.
"Are you asking me if I would leave you because of danger?" Who the hell did he think HE was? Assuming that I am a coward who runs away from danger!
"It's good to be sure when a soldier is loyal to even death."
"Well I am! Why would you even ask me such a thing!" Uthra looked down.

"We need more soldiers. Me and you are not enough to complete this." I nodded, and pointed to a large city on the map, it was a good 40 miles southwest, but there was bound to be some grissled veteran looking for some more action before his age manage to beat him to submission, or a mercenary looking for some coin.
"Alright, let's go then. Watch out for wolves."

We reached the city, it was a large port town, filled with sailors and drunken comedians who were out of a job. I stayed in the tavern most of the day while Uthra went out to hire some manpower. I made a few friends in the tavern, and alot of people were interested in hearing of me and Uthra's deeds so far. Heroes  are far and few between in these times. Uthra returned in a few hours with two Macemen and Axemen. They seemed like competent men. We set out that evening in search of the cave.

The desert ran red with blood this morning. We found the cave with relative ease, but tens, possibly hundreds, of kobolds mingled outside the cave in relative peace and comfort. Then we arrived. It was a massacre, five armed, armored, and trained soldiers again a horde of children and women. Nevertheless, we had defeated them, I guess. I just cant feel joy after committing such an act. We entered the cave and found nothing for a while, *bloodstains cover this book, and the writing stops, it is assumed that the writer had died in the next encounter*

"THINE!" Yelled Uthra, when he saw the Bat behind Thine, but it was too late, the bat latched onto Thine's body, and in one swift jerk, tore him in half. There was atleast 10 of them, and countless naked mole dogs, moles, and rats. Thine didnt care, it was only one he was going to kill. The mercenaries were holding the beasts from killing them, but it seemed that numbers would overcome skill.

A rat bit Uthra's left hand, and badly wounded it, causing him to drop the sword. Uthra let go of his shield, grabbed the rat's head, and tore his eyes from it's sockets. The beast then died after he punched it, causing the body to explode. He focused his attention back on the Bat. He WAS going to kill it. Monsters continued to fight him, and he beat them away. It seemed he would never get out of this cave alive, let alone kill the monster that had slain his friend.

This is his general situation. Unconsciousness infront of these monsters is entirely possible at this point.

Uthra felt the pain from his wounds, it was unbelievable to handle, but he did. It was the lust for revenge that drove him this far, and he would keep to it, to death, if need be.

The naked mole dog stopped following the bat, and turned to Uthra. It had a gleam in it's eye, as if he were a free meal, and it charged, Uthra didnt even try to dodge, he just held his sword in one hand, pointing it at the dog. It dodged the top of the sword, and bit him in the left leg, but it was completely open to attack. Uthra Pointed his sword down at the Dog's head, and thrust. The neck, along with the entire head, was cut off. He turned his attention back to the fleeing Bat. It was his now. He picked up the head, and threw it at the bat, battering it's leg. It was stunned long enough for Uthra to get within attack range. The bat latched onto his left arm, and mangled the shoulder. The sword dropped. Uthra felt more pain, but grabbed the sword and threw it at the bat. It hit him in the upper body, mangling the lungs and heart. But it continued to rip at his shoulder, with the determination of a demon, Uthra had no choice, he had the strangle it to death.

He put a lock on the bat's head with his left elbow, and squeezed, harder and harder until the bat finally passed out. Uthra  punched it a few times, the Bat finally died. He had won, but at what cost? His arm was spurting blood, with no stop in sight. He felt death coming, until one of his mercenaries found him in the secluded tunnel.

"He's in here! Help me get him out!" Three of the soldiers carried him out of the cave, and back to town. Uthra was in a deep sleep for almost a month while he healed.

To be continued.

Edit: Whoops, a little redundancy I missed.

[ January 28, 2008: Message edited by: Torak ]

[ February 03, 2008: Message edited by: Torak ]

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
Re: My Story of Uthra Twilightwailed. [This story has been a
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 08:06:00 pm »

Wow! You rarely survive close calls like that in adventure mode, what with all those monsters ready to rip you apart.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 07:18:00 am »

Briliant Torak! Good writin'!   :D
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 03:08:00 pm »

The year is 1067, cities have fallen to ruins, dwarves are at war with the earth's guardians, chasms appear in Elven forests. People tell stories of Red horrors destroying entire countries of Dwarves. The Golden age of Teyo Asada lasted 100 years. There were great tomes distributed around the world telling of Dwarven Champions crushing entire demon and undead hordes. In 1036 the Goblins, they.. learned new ways to work metal, Dwarven Iron was conquered by Goblin Steel, our Guardians in the mountains succumbed to the Goblins, leaving the Humans without protection. It was not long until some Humans changed, became.. evil, The best of fighters joined them, leading the Massacres against their own people.

But the Kings, the Lords, and the Masters, they joined into one Federation. We fought the Goblins, thousands were killed in the fields in that war, but even more Women and Children were the victims. This is where I began my career in war. I've killed Goblins, Trolls, Men, Women, Children, all without remorse. I was an officer in the siege against a Goblin Capital Fortress. We killed without mercy, the King justifying it with "Vengeance" The soldiers cheered for him. I could not. The blood that was spilled on my hands, it was too much. I deserted, became a vagabond.

I've been an adventurer for Years, too many to count, but I've quit my adventuring in 1065, because my friend had died under my foolish command. I am plagued by the same dream every night, it consists of him screaming while being torn in half.

I woke up that night to my door slamming open. "UTHRA! BLENDECS!"
"Lastret? Blendecs only roam in corrupted Elven forests, we're too far in the plains to have them." I told him, getting out of bed. "I guess I'll check it out, either way."
"They're in the western Merchant's quarters, they've already killed three people."
I grabbed my sword and told Lastret to follow, the Merchant's district was only about half a mile away from my dwelling, so we arrived quickly. The Merchant's district was destroyed, to say the least, walls had holes in them, doors were smashed in, and windows were crushed. I heard a bellow, much like a goat's, but it couldn't be a Blendec, it's impossible, until I saw them. There was a pack of about five eating a man. Horrible Goat men, covered in blood, Horns that curved like scythes, and razor sharp hooves. Myth is that Blendecs are Satyrs that have been turned evil by undead corruption. It's common for undead to corrupt Elven forests because of the large amount of emanating magic from those areas.

I told Lastret to go around the side of them, I went to the courtyard where the Blendecs were. "BEASTS, SHOW COURAGE AND FIGHT A REAL WARRIOR!" They immediately stopped and looked at me, as if they've never seen a Human who didnt run from them in fear. One grunted a challenge. "Human, run from me, for I am the one that end your pathetic life." I held my sword in readied position, telling him I would not flee. They charged me, until Lastret came from an alleyway, taking a swipe with his flail, the chain wrapped around a Blendec's head and cleanly broke it's neck. The Blendecs stopped and focussed on Lastret, giving me the chance to attack them. I charged them, impaling a blendec through the lower body, killing it. Lastret was no longer in the advantage, because the small space he was forced to fight in gave no movement for him, or his flail, which he resorted to use it for strangling or clubbing with the handle. One blendec got a horn into his left arm, making him drop his shield, leaving him wide open for attack. I hacked at another Blendec's leg, mangling it from the hip. Lastern managed to gouge another's eye out with the hilt of his flail, making it pass out from pain, leaving only two able to fight. I grabbed the one that challenged me and threw it to the right, into the open courtyard, making him slam into a statue. I ran at him, sword pointed at his chest, but it dodged and grabbed hold of my shield. I chopped at his arms, but only minorly wounding it. He wrestled my shield from me, so I resorted to grabbing his head with my hand, trying to gouge and eye or two out. I got my hand into position when he broke my grab and horned my arm, piercing it completely.

I almost passed out from pain, but I've felt worse, and cut at his legs, severing his right leg from the knee down, disabling him completely. I jumped back, now that I had the advantage I could do whatever I pleased. Lastret finished his Blendec off with a slam into it's chest, caving it in. I told him to get more men, and some rope.

"HUMAN, FIGHT ME TO THE END, COWARD." I didn't even heed the creature, and killed the unconscious Blendec. Lastret came in about five minutes with the local blacksmith and a few peasants. I told them to tie to disabled blendec up and to put it in the Doctor's cellar.
"The doc knows the anatomy of these things, if anyone know why they came here, he'd know." I collected my equipment and went back to my home, sleeping the rest of the night in relative comfort.

The next morning, I went to the doctor's shop. "So, you know why I'm here?"
"The Blendec? Yes, I know." The doctor was an older man, maybe in his early sixty's he has scars on his arms and back, signifying that he was once flogged for some injustice. He was once a soldier in the militia during the Goblin wars, like I was, but I've never asked him where or when, noone asked those questions, The Goblin Wars were to be forgotten forever.
"Do you know why, or how, these Blendecs made it here?"
"I am not a mage, so I cannot figure why, but as far I can tell, these are Run-Of-The-Mill Blendecs, but with one small abnormality, they have horns that are backward from regular Blendecs, these one's horns curve forward, normally it's supposed to be back. Also, thier fur is a strange color, it's usually a Purple or Black, but these ones are a Grey-Brown, meaning that they get much less Magic flow than others, which would mean these ones were not corrupted like normal Blendecs. Somehow."
"Interesting, doc. Could you fix up my arm? It got hurt in the skirmish last night."

I entered the Barracks at about noon that day. "Guards! Attention!" They all lined up, as usual.
"This meeting today is not normal, I am here to tell you that last night, a pack of Blendecs attacked the town." A nervous chatter went down the line. "Two things are in order now. One, we are going on high alert every day and NIGHT until I know what caused this. Two, we are building a wall, I have contacted masons in the capitol and they have told me they are coming with the workers and materials needed. Guards in groups of three are to patrol the city, with at least two squads out at a time. Stay safe, and use the good equipment. Lastret is to see me, as well. Dismissed." The men acknowledged me, and went back to business.

"Yes, Uthra?"
"We've got some business to finish in a cave to the southeast."
"You mean..?" He had a shocked look on his face.
"Yes. We're going to Thine's Cave. Get Sumost, Ipan, and Cespi."
"Why?? There's nothing there except an angry Ettin and harsh memories."
"Thine's journal is still there." And with that, Lastret Nodded and ran off to find the men.

To be continued.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 05:58:00 pm »

Amazing! I can't even till if you are actually using DF or not! Good story, great potential!   :)
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 09:19:00 pm »

You know, people other than Armok are able to comment. Just saying.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 09:36:00 pm »

And people other than Torak are able to comment on Armok's commenting.  Just saying.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 03:47:00 am »

My armor equipped, my sword in it's sheathe. Two years since I've done this. My men an I all feel the same remorse, thinking that we wouldn't do this again. But fate has a different role for Uthra and his Band.

The cave was along a familiar path, Utrha had mandated a road made from obsidian to be made off of the main highway, leading here. The Kobolds were long since gone, driven away by beasts and angry villagers. The cave, as far as Uthra knew, was untouched by anyone. It seemed that way as well.

We arrived the next morning, and headed straight for the cave's entrance. I looked in, hearing no grunts or groans which are common in beasts vocabularies. I assumed that all but the most survivable were still looming here. Cespi was the first one to enter. He found nothing in the first tunnels. "Thine's remains should be somewhere north, along this tunnel." After searching for a while, we found the clearing where the fight was. There were bones and long-rotted flesh here. Dried blood covered most surfaces.
"His body should be somewhere in here, search for it." The search turned up nothing, not even a single human bone. Odd indeed. "I guess we're going deeper. If anyone got a hold of his items, it was the Cyclops."
Hours of searching turned up nothing, but, Ipan had vanished from the group. "Where the hell is Ipan?" We all turned to Sumost.
"Where did you see him last?"
"I dont know, I just noticed we're down a man, though. We need to find him. Fast." I nodded, we split into two groups and started scouring even more of the cave, this time looking for a Man, or atleast a corpse.
I turned a corner, and ran directly into a man. No ordinary man, either. This, was a giant. The Cyclops!

"I AM THELE ELEARILE! KILLER OF IPAN GLACIERSMOOTHNESS, WHO SCREAMED LIKE A WHORE WHILE I TORE HIM LIMB FROM LIMB!"
I readied my sword, and challenged him, with a cry of anger. He charged me once, twice, three times, each time with me dodging out of the way. Lastret and Cespi arrived out of a tunnel, looking at me and then Thele, I took a quick glance at them, but in the time it took me to look back, the Cyclops already had a hand around my head. He lifted me from the ground, gouging my right eye out. It was the most horrible feeling you could ever have, the finger sliding into your socket, and you knowing your eye was jelly where it was once. He punched me in the chest, damaging my ribs, then threw me at Lastret, stunning him and leaving me to writhe on the floor. Lastret pushed me off of him, then charged the Cyclops, swinging his flail in a large circle, getting ready to strike a huge blow. Cespi went under the cyclops, and began hacking at it's back, with a sickening CRUNCH as a reward to his first swing, the cyclops fell back. Lastret then came down on its chest with his flail, crushing his chest in, causing blood and entrails to covers the ground around it.

As I sat, whimpering, Lastret and cespi could only watch me in my agony. "Find... Ipan's body.." I screamed again. The pain was terrible, and I still have not had anything as bad as that in my entire life. Lastret came back in about 5 minutes, carrying what should have been Ipan's body. But it wasnt, the head was completely smashed in, his arms were almost broken off, and the torso.. it had guts hanging out of it... I care to no longer write of it. The cyclops did not have Thine's book on him. So this excursion only gained us a dead friend. Sumost was found at the entrance to the cave, without his weapon or shield, it appeared he was crying. I patted him on the shoulder and continued out.
We returned to town and gave Ipan a warrior's burial. Armok knows he deserves it.
End entry, Slate 4th, 1067.

Continued? To be.

[ January 30, 2008: Message edited by: Torak ]