Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Taming" animals in adventurer mode.  (Read 5315 times)

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
"Taming" animals in adventurer mode.
« on: June 01, 2017, 09:25:11 pm »

I think we should be able to have wild animals as companions.
By giving them food, (and a bit of time; it would work better if they were children, of course.) adventurers with a good enough skill should be able to train animals and have them count as companions.
You could make a whistle menu to have stuff like "come here", "attack", and custom ones.
Please help flesh this out, as it is only a bare bones idea; I just think having a wolf pack to lead would be awesome.
Imagine sending the giant wolves against a hydra, before wading into the fray!

If this was even considered for the game at all, it, of course, would be very low priority. I just thought this would be cool.
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Taming" animals in adventurer mode.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 09:57:13 pm »

Essentially everything which an NPC is able to do, the player should eventually be able to do. So that includes beast  taming. Of course there's a lot to cover in Adventurer including generally making the world an interesting place to wander round and do stuff in so it'll take a while.

For an idea of what's being considered or not, take a look at the development notes (including the big list of stuff, which is a bit old but has quite a few more long term things on it).
Coming "soon": http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
The big list: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_single.html

Also Threetoes stories (one of the aims of Dwarf Fortress being the ability to theoretically randomly generate all the stuff which happens in them and other generic fantasy stories). http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_story.html

For example, the dev notes (big list) includes this:
Req302, ADVENTURER PROFESSIONS, (Future): Need to be able to tame the lizards you find, wood work, make clothes, whatever.
which covers your suggestion.

Browse through them, then come back and suggest something not covered. Or suggest how some of this stuff could be implemented (since most of it probably hasn't been thought about in much depth yet).

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 10:41:56 am »

Imagine silently petting while prone random carnivores until you have an army of them.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 11:24:25 am »

@Shonai_Dweller
That second more comprehensive list says it's outdated at the top though, is it really accurate anymore?