Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Global Thermo-nuclear war post mortem  (Read 1946 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Global Thermo-nuclear war post mortem
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2021, 07:17:52 am »

There's quite a high cost to defences, so my strategy would've been better served by spending that $30B on extra bombers and warheads and just Nova-ing someone. Which fits the idea of a first strike, but it makes second strike ability basically pointless atm.

If the Warhead had a research cost, or perhaps everyone got a pre-game phase to buy/research say a few turns worth of stuff, we wouldn't be limited to a zerg rush of nukes as the only viable tactic.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2021, 10:29:52 am »

A strange game, the only winning move is not to play.
As the only winning move was not to play, and that I chose not to play, I declare victory since I chose the only winning move.
it's over

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2021, 03:17:12 pm »

What do you think of optionally targeting enemy weapons instead of cities? (a real-world tactic, AFAIK)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2021, 03:32:45 pm »

Could work well, although might be hard to fairly adjudicate. Perhaps all weapons need to be deployed to a city when purchased? Will prevent the need for a while extra set of targets, and give some extra meaning to which city you deploy defences at/try to attack.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2021, 04:26:57 pm »

I was already wondering about the "return to base (finding nothing to bomb)" thing. Bases seem eminently vulnerable to not being in a fit state to return to, in a showdown such as this.

Would it be too complicated* to potentially separate bases from cities. Initially, bombers are presumed to come from cities, though you can build bases away from the cities (at some cost, maybe 2 turns to become operational, maybe decreased chances of targetting the first turn?). An attacker gets a list of bases as well as cities to target. Consider them to be air-bases, in the following, but the resources assigned to them could be not actually planes at all (rocket base, defence base... I was wondering if you need home-ports for the naval elements, which could be cities or dedicated/composite naval bases..? Naw, too far, and little useful added.)

Cities, destroyed, impact buying power and any military power (offensive/defensive) still based there. Cities destroyed that deploy bombers also force the on-mission bombers to return to another (random, unless pre-arranged with such a contingency/fall-back plan) surviving bomber-supporting place.

Bases, destroyed, only lose the (non-deployed) military assets there. But the various defined defences are more effective (less need to worry about masses of squishy civilians) and there are some hardened elements that can bring them back up from destroyed (skip a turn, less cost than new base, e.g.) and perhaps recover some 'lost' weapons/capabilities.

You lose if you have no cities left, but you can assume that each city has an integrated base so losing separated bases is a weakening blow (militarily) but not a crippling one (financially, in terms of still-spendable income, and ultimately by dying your final death).

I think there's a bit of balancing to be done there, and it'd be a biggish change (alongside other balancing that would interact with every other bit).

I'm also wondering about the squishy-civvies. Aside from the loss-of-cities bit, they seem missing from the equation (changing ease/difficulty of recruitment, not directly linked to cost/presumed revenues), but let's hold off on all those. It'd be an even biggisher change.

* Yes, it probably would be.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2021, 07:40:38 am »

I think flipping the switch and firing made things "too fast".  Maybe a DEFCON state of readiness?  Start game at DEFCON 5, need to declare each turn whether going up or down, get less money as level increases (more money is spend being ready so less available to spend on weapons/research).

So the funding in this game would be DEFCON 5.  Need DEFCON 1 to use the weapons, but you don't get any money because your nation is spending all of it keeping the weapons online and ready to fire.  Maybe a DEFCON 2 could fire the weapons at 50% penalty, just to keep it interesting?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2021, 08:54:02 am »

I like the DEFCON system, note, haven’t played this at all, just found it at the end
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]