Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Hedgehog Appreciation Thread  (Read 2404 times)

hedgerow

• Bay Watcher
  • You're Thunderclappin'
    • View Profile
The Hedgehog Appreciation Thread
« on: July 05, 2021, 07:50:01 am »

So, the most adorable critters on Planet Earth are the hedgehogs, or hedgehog (singular), one of seventeen species prevalent throughout the developed and developing world, across five genera.  Though not native to North America, many Americans enjoy their spiny friends, who can form lifelong (about six years) companions for any lost soul.  Hedgehogs were known in antiquity, such as in Ancient Egypt, in Africa, where the more adorable African Pygmy Hedgehog is native, the most favorable species in terms of domestic ownership.

Competitive by nature, hedgehogs are not tolerant of their own sex, though females are capable of getting along.  They are known to be pathogenic due to the higher levels of biologically-available bacteria in their mouths, and so large cities, such as New York City, have outlawed them, so as to prevent the spread of infection.  Hedgehogs are a gentle creature, and they are known to have saliva on their backs, though why this is the case is still unknown.

Hedgehog spines are a natural defense, and they are known predators to snakes in the wild.  Why nature made these adorable snake-killing machines in beyond mortal comprehension, but a hedgehog can easily kill a snake in mortal combat should it want to.  What's more, they also play the piano.

The hedgehog was mentioned several times in the Christian Bible, which I occasionally reference.  Without being too heavy-handed and disrespectful to my fellow forumers, I'd like to share my favorite, since its poignancy and relevance affects me even now:

"But pelican and hedgehog will possess it, And owl and raven will dwell in it; And He will stretch over it the line of desolation And the plumb line of emptiness." Isaiah 34:11

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: The Hedgehog Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 11:30:27 pm »

If I wanted to have a hedgehog as a pet - what sort of food do I give them beyond handfuls of snakes? Also can I give that food to hedgies if I find them in the wild?

I hear they really like golden rings.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 11:58:11 pm »

Google suggests they taste delicious, can anyone confirm?
I hear they really like golden rings chili dogs.
Fixed that for you; get your deep hedgehog lore straight, del :P
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 12:00:22 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 02:24:02 am »

Nice thread you've going there... It'd be a shame if someone dropped in and rule34d all over it...

(Frumple: do your thing!)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 03:02:06 am »

For some reason I feel an urge to kick one to see how far I can kick it.

Also sonic is worst hedgehog.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 03:04:56 am »

Join me in the echidna appreciation thread.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 03:05:35 am »

I will just settle for a nice game of croquet.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 03:51:23 am »

Join me in the echidna appreciation thread.
I don't know, they seem kind of evil, I mean they almost killed smallhands with their ability to roll into an unkillable ball.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

hedgerow

• Bay Watcher
  • You're Thunderclappin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 05:25:25 am »

If I wanted to have a hedgehog as a pet - what sort of food do I give them beyond handfuls of snakes? Also can I give that food to hedgies if I find them in the wild?

I hear they really like golden rings.

Candied grasshoppers.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2021, 08:02:22 am »

I don't know, they seem kind of evil, I mean they almost killed smallhands with their ability to roll into an unkillable ball.

They sure are tough.

Candied grasshoppers.
Christ now I need to feed candy to grasshoppers too?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 08:41:27 am »

There's been a family of hedgehogs living close to my house for as long as I've been around (so, probably several generations of hedgehogs?). They seem to have a certain route and schedule each evening, so it's quite easy to predict when to go outside to see them milling about and rustling in the grass. Adorable little buggers.

Unfortunately, there's less and less wildlife to be seen here every year ever since building new apartments began some 5 years ago and much of the small forests were chopped down in the name of progress.  :'(

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2021, 10:50:42 am »

whoa chilly dogs
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2021, 11:39:59 am »

I have had a hedgehog return to my garden every year. It would sit under the rose bush and make crunching noises as it was cracking snail shells to get to their soft juicy insides.

Two times, I caught it in the act of entering my house through the cat hatch, and steal catfood right from under my flabberghasted cats' noses.

I haven't seen it anymore since last year :(. I want a new friendly neigborhood hedghog, them snails are a plague now.

EDIT: Oh , someone asked what they eat. First of all, they are not pets. They don't like captivity.
But if you do want to feed a wild hedgehog, (dry) catfood isn't bad for them.

NEVER give them milk though. Cats just get stomach aches and diarrhoea from milk, but hedgehogs will die from it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 11:46:33 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2021, 12:24:46 pm »

EDIT: Oh , someone asked what they eat.

Hedges, right?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again