Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Curse you, mace lord!  (Read 7110 times)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Curse you, mace lord!
« on: March 25, 2008, 06:45:00 pm »

Curse you I say!

As usual, I was dicking around in adventure mode with my super awesome axeman, slaughtering the only human town's priests and merchants (and whatever else I saw), when a macelord approached me on the capital building roof.

No problem, I said as I threw children heads at him, only bruising his left hand after 3 flying skulls.

So, I give him a slash, and his first move is to pound my arm into a shattered powder of bone, then smash me off of the roof.

As I lay bleeding and dead in the grass below, I vowed revenge.

So I came back as Ritar Flamepaddled, master of the pike! I quickly dash into the capital building, stab the closest peasant (the only living being in the building besides the macelord and I) and then run straight for the roof. I spot the macelord on the stairs, and throw the corpse of the slain peasant at him, which was blocked. I stab him in the foot, then as I try again my spear glances off of his helmet and he smashes me against a wall, then pummels me into a cream  as I desperately throw my pike at him, which only cut his finger.

And so I send in Ungrid Diamondhelm, champion wrestler to destroy this insipid macelord!

I go straight for his weapon arm, ignoring everything else. I grab his hand and manage to sprain it just before my leg is broken, then my arm, and then my brain. Darnit.

So I employ the hammer of Kirkud Amplemines! Covered in iron plating, I march across the floor of the large building, stepping over bloody clothes, corpses, and limbs that cover the floor. I find the macelord happily chilling on the roof amid previous victims, and charge him after hearing his monologue on the people he has ruthlessly beaten to a pulp. After bruising his ribs, I get my head horribly mashed into my chest cavity.

By now, my nemesis aquires a super long and fierce name (something like Ignu Fortifified-barricades the Skull-smasher, or a just as demoralizing name).

I'll cut this quick, since I am getting tired of writing each play out all detailed like.

Another pikeman got blown apart on a wall after impaling Ignud's arm.
Another axeman had his heart and organs smashed open, then was pummeled into oblivion.
A third pikeman (I was hoping for a lucky critical headshot) was catapulted off of the capital roof.
A crossbowman was mobbed by 5 peasants, a guard and 2 kids before he could get to the 2nd floor of the capital.
A lasher had his lower body mauled and all his organs pierced, and was then smashed into a wall.
A thrower, who threw two axes and two spears at the macelord with no more result than a gashed hand and a severed finger, had his arms and chest broken, then his head smashed into pieces.

At this point, there is no area in the building from where you cannot see at the very least 6 bodies. There are piles of corpses wherever a battle took place, with trails of blood leading to those to limped away or to severed heads and limbs. Keep in mind that this damn macelord has killed 10 people, with no more than a broken bone or a gashed limb at the worst.

At this point I am desperate, so I start sending in spearmen and bowmen, hoping for a lucky shot that may pierce his brain or heart or something. No luck with that, after the worst damage being cutting up his organs with an iron bolt.

Kill count: 14.

So, the fifteenth soldier. My lucky number. I decide to play dirty and cheap. I get a very skilled crossbowman. After shooting a child that spotted me, I made my way into the center of the 2nd floor, I wait, carefully dodging any patrolling gaurds and children.

The macelord comes into view! I fire a bolt, which impales itself into his left leg. Good, he can't move as fast. The second, he blocks with his shield (and cat-like reflexes, which he apparently traded in for the astute wits that enable him to be oblivious to the shadowy figure standing in the middle of the room firing bolts a him) and the next two he simply dodges.

He runs out of the room, and I wait. A minute or two later, he reenters to a hail of bolts. The first gashes his arm, causing him to drop his mace (thank god, if I'm spotted I'll have a chance).

The next bolt misses and so does the one after that, but the third bolt strikes home, and pierces his lungs and heart. In a burst of ego, I stand up and run at him, then start beating him with my crossbow as he quickly bleeds to death in the middle of many of the previous attackers.

Just before he dies, he grabs me by the arm and breaks my legs with his bare hands, leaving me near immobile as the nearby peasants and guards rush towards me.

Worth it.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Kholint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Curse you, mace lord!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 07:07:00 pm »

Definitely.

Pity you didn't have the chance to gouge both his eyes out, remove all his clothing then pinch his toes.  :(

I've had similar experiences. Here's an idea if you find a particularly tough warrior: embark on the town with a new dwarf fortress and devise a way to capture him, then use him as your first line of defense. Or stick him in a pit with a dragon, whichever suits your fancy.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 07:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kholint:
<STRONG>Definitely.

Pity you didn't have the chance to gouge both his eyes out, remove all his clothing then pinch his toes.   :(

I've had similar experiences. Here's an idea if you find a particularly tough warrior: embark on the town with a new dwarf fortress and devise a way to capture him, then use him as your first line of defense. Or stick him in a pit with a dragon, whichever suits your fancy.</STRONG>

That first idea is pretty good, since he could definitely take down quite a few goblins before being vanquished.

But I didn't even bother with a second wrestler; he can kill you in 1-2 hits, so using a class that needs 3-6 to do any real damage is useless.

My dream victory would have been hacking off his shield arm, having a battle between a single armed-brute and a smaller two armed man. Then, I would sever his head, and use it as a weapon to kill the rest of the town with.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 02:29:00 am »

I find that when dealing with any -lords, the first thing you'll want to do is wield 6 shields or more with AT LEAST skilled shield usage.

Because what happens (especially with axelords) is that they can usually instagib you in one shot regardless of your level. Think of them as close range bowmen, with the ability to block lots of stuff.

Your second priority would be to make him unable to use his weapon. Either just grab it with something (say... one of the shields), break his arm, throw bolts, anything to make him unable to hurt you with the blade of pain +2.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 06:49:00 am »

This one time I was throwing sharp things at goblins stealthily, I saw a macegoblin.

"OSHIT" I cried, as I tiptoed as fast as I could out of the building.

I soon arrived at a town bar, where I informed 8 or 9 drunks that we were going to the goblin fortress to start digging for adamantium which I heard from a very reliable source is right underneath the fortress.

So as I began sneaking (my companions were not as bright), I bumped into the mace-lord. Well less bumped into and more actively hunt down.

"Charge!" I whispered to my inebriated companions. One, two, three drunks were slain within the space of a blink. Fortunately for me however, their efforts had left him stunned. I broke his mace-arm, and then smashed his head in.

IM IN UR THRED STEELIN UR THUNDER

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 08:35:00 am »

My swordsman took three bowgoblins at the same time, and killed a swordslord and a  macelord without a scratch.  He was epic.  For the swordsgob, he was on the roof, with Swordy, and two goblin peasants.  He threw a spear at Swordy, but Swordy was being all cool and blocked it, seconds later a pike hit him in the chest, puncturing both lungs and his heart, and getting firmly lodged. He started crawling away, leaving a trail of blood, as the two goblins charged Epicman.  Epicman sidestepped the first one and split him open as he went by, he fell over and started rolling around on the ground(All of these goblins seem to be like guards in Assassin's Creed, they don't just die, they have to roll around screaming for a few minutes).  He just eviscerated the second one, who still didn't die immediately, but none of them lasted long enough for me to get some free XP finishing them.  The Macelord was much less cool, although killing a Goblin Macelord in melee, without sustaining any injuries, is pretty incredible, I suppose.
Guess how that Swordsman died.  If you said "Arrow to the face", you'd be incorrect.  A guy that great would have to die to something truly idiotic.  Idiotic on the level of "My little brother is bugging me for a turn on the computer so I'll just quit real quick and play Mass Effe--NOOOOOOOOO"  I hit quit instead of Save, so he starved to death.  He one-shotted a Titan...(Spear to the face, broke her neck) and killed I don't know how many Goblins, I counted fifteen corpses once, and that was several minutes into my spree, and there were many more after that.

IM IN UR THREDZ STROKIN MY EGO

Shoes...

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 09:26:00 am »

OH YEAH!?

Well, this one time I managed to defeat 8 peasants, a merchant baron, a merchant princess, a horse (long story), a child and two guards and live (I died after a pierced neck about 30 steps away).

IM IN MY THREAD RECLAIMING IT

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 09:34:00 am »

Oh, that reminds me, I also decapitated the mayor with one swing, it was pretty cool.
Shoes...

Ancient Whale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 08:09:00 am »

I recently played a proficient axedwarf who massacred a goblin fortress and it's chasm neighbours(the goblins and troglodytes were fighting each other, too). So as I approach the last tower, I spot a Spearmaster by the river. I think, hey, these guys were pushovers last time I was an adventurer(some versions ago, and I think that guy was decked out in all-adamantine and multiple legendary in pretty much everything). So I sneak up to him...

code:
 You begin sneaking.
You are no longer in hiding.
The goblin Spearmaster stabs You in the head with her *®*Iron spear*¯*!
It is badly pierced!
You have been stunned!
Your left ear has been badly pierced!
Your throat has been poked out!
Your neck has been pierced!
Your brain has been pierced!
The *®*Iron spear*¯* has lodged firmly in the wound!
You miss The goblin Spearmaster!
The goblin Spearmaster counterstrikes!
The goblin Spearmaster twists the embedded *®*Iron spear*¯* around in Your head!
The goblin Spearmaster twists the embedded *®*Iron spear*¯* around in Your head!
You give in to pain.
You fall over.
You have bled to death.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 09:33:00 am »

You dont know pain until someone twist a spear in your brain   :eek:

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 10:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Muffles:
<STRONG>Oh, that reminds me, I also decapitated the mayor with one swing, it was pretty cool.</STRONG>

Oh yeah, Mr. Smarty Pants?

I decapitated a mayor with no swing! I just walked into the room and his head fell off.

True story.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 10:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Drakale:
<STRONG>You dont know pain until someone twist a spear in your brain    :eek:</STRONG>

That wouldn't hurt a bit.  What would hurt is if the spear just barely missed the brain.

My first encounter with a goblin spearmaster, by the way, is eerily similar to the one reported here.  Except that I didn't have a chance to miss him.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 12:18:00 am »

What would really hurt, is if the spear went into your arm, and a piece of metal chipped off and went into the bone.
Or it cut your wrist.
Or it went across your face and grazed your eyes.
Or it flew up to you and told you that you were adopted.
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 02:34:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>

That wouldn't hurt a bit.  What would hurt is if the spear just barely missed the brain.

My first encounter with a goblin spearmaster, by the way, is eerily similar to the one reported here.  Except that I didn't have a chance to miss him.</STRONG>

That wouldn't hurt a bit? I think you're taking the "brains have no pain receptors" thing too far. You see, there's stuff between the outside and your brain. And those stuff have pain receptors.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 03:18:00 am »

Well, if someone strapped you down to a table, cut open your head, took out your brain, put it on another table and then stabbed a spear into and began twisting it around viciously, you would not, in fact, feel the spear twisting around in your brain.
Pages: [1] 2 3