Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make vampires more common through modding?  (Read 1010 times)

oliverosky95

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to make vampires more common through modding?
« on: July 05, 2021, 11:07:30 am »

The past couple days in my failed attempts to make a full vampire fortress on an evil biome, I encountered two things:

1. Vampires are extremely rare in this version. This possibly due to the fact that to get cursed, you need to topple a statue of one of the specific deities that the creature worships therefore making the circumstances too specific. In contrast, before you only needed to topple any statue in any temple

2. Even if you manage to make a vampire inside your own fortress by making him topple statues of his own god, for some reason their blood doesn't transmit the curse. I have the theory that only vampires that are converted during  world gen have vampiric blood but haven't tested yet.

I want to try and fix this but I'm unsure of how to tackle the problem, my first idea was making a secret that gives the creature who reads the slab the same powers as a regular vampire but I don't really want the vampires to build towers. Any other ideas?

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: How to make vampires more common through modding?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 12:33:45 pm »

Vampires are also rare because of vampire purges, a type of worldgen event introduced a few versions ago. Whereas werebeasts can often live forever if no one bothers them, vampires are more actively hunted and destroyed - and since vampires lack the ability to personally create new vampires (unlike werebeasts) the supply is always pretty low.

Having people become vampires via secret won't make them build towers. To build towers a creature needs to be able to animate corpses, which vampires can't do.
However, I think such a vampire secret would be quite rare without towers. Secret-knowers won't teach apprentices unless they live at a tower, and they are much, much more likely to write books (including books about the secret) at a tower (they can write books without a tower, but only incidentally). So I'm not sure adding a vampire secret would strongly increase the likelihood of vampires.

You might consider using advanced world generation to increase the number of vampire curse types relative to werebeast curses - then, whenever a dwarf is cursed, they'd be much more likely to become a vampire than a were, so there should be more vampires on average in such a world.

You could make god-cursed vampires turn into a monster - "ancient vampire" or something - that acts like a werebeast, going on rampages and biting people, and the bite would turn people into normal vampires. That should give you a continuously-increasing supply of vampires throughout worldgen.

Or... you could give vampires an interaction that straight-up turns another dwarf into a vampire. That's a thing vampires do, right? Maybe let them resurrect corpses as vampires, like after they drain someone, if you want to be truer to form. Not sure how well that would work, though.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 01:35:24 pm »

Its tricky because a sporadic increase in vampires used to be able to be achieved when dug-deep events occur and the clowns are capable of pantheon worship via modding escape and take over the site, installing their religion over the existing one, underlings would topple and raze everything (taverns, temples, all) inside the dwarven site leading to a big nightcreature influx + whatever experimentation the demons were already doing afterwards.

Since this behaviour has been changed in 47.xx + to only curse when you knock over your own diety's temple, creating them for w.g is random. Though ofc you can also take the direct route and infect dwarves with blood laced water then expel them, to seed more vampires or night creatures of a sort in the world directly.

Another theoretical route if you want to attract vampires to a spot could be to try modding in a heavily weighted night sphere pantheon onto a particular entity you want to recieve a influx of sphere related migrants, to make use of another 47.xx + feature Toady added to ensure that persecuted dwarf groups coalesced in similar settlements with similar religions which their spheres are attracted to.

Using night alone might also attract experiments and were-beasts, it works efficiently enough in attracting immigrant necromancers too to whatever nation of the damned exists in the world (this was much more metal in versions before the temple topple change, they quickly became over-infested with every kind of monster and necromancer), but i dont remember vampires having spheres in their interaction addtoken code. Unless you wanted to quickly mod that sphere affiliation on yourself.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 02:41:04 pm »

Create a creature that transfers vampirism like werewolves do were curses. For example, I am working on multiple different vampires, one of which is a "nosferatu". Nosferatu are created by vampire lords (an elite breed of vampire) and are large, scary humanoids. If they bite someone, they become a vampire. In worldgen, vampiric armies will attack civilizations and any nosferatu contained in said armies will spread the vampiric curse.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2