Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Floorsavages -Preparing for the apocalypse the Dwarven way  (Read 10006 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Floorsavages -Preparing for the apocalypse the Dwarven way
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2021, 03:45:07 am »

Keeping the fortress alive is more important than proper living conditions.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2021, 10:13:07 am »

Over the lands of Floorsavages it was the end of the summer, which is the worst time of the year.
Elsewhere in the tundra where the frost truly never leaves the frozen mucus is disgusting, but manageable

Here at the edges of a temperate forest when it melted it served as a host to countless swarms of flies who'd lay their eggs to feast on the disturbing fields.

Dwarves toiled on walls, fortifications and roofs trying to swat away fetid fly swarms while trying to not stare too long at the mucus. Every now and again a worker did and you could see them lying on the ground spasming in horror as the mucus triggered some sort of intense psychological reaction. Some of it's victims reported reliving past trauma while others just felt uncontrollable dread and hopelessness
Work toiled on though as mucus was dug away to plant blocks.

Just below the merchant caravan haggled  for the last of the wares. Buying a reanimated crundle arm. As far as arms go it was even less opinionated than most and just mindlessly reached at the bars looking for flesh to tear.
Merchants would try to sell it to some scholar who wanted to understand the undead, but more than likely it'd end up on the shelf of some merchant's underground home in a hillocks. Fortress workers hauled down fresh metals in the mean time.

First Defender Besmar's Log
It's only been a month since that stupid armadillo god died and we're already feeling the fallout.

god-slayer, healerabbeys and first defender. I've been wanting the grunts around here to heed my advice for the last few years, but now they've got some sort of reverence to me that's equally as annoying as when they ignored me!

Was worried what some of the visiting Mafi worshippers would think, but it turned out even worse than I thought! They think Mafi "let" itself die and then reanimate so I could kill it. I'm "the chosen one" the new avatar of Mafi and they started bowing and what not too! Mad!

Had another elf named Ile come in with the opposite idea. turns out he's old. Real old. Also one of the first elves, but he worships the dwarf gods! Sienna of Iron like meself and he said this was the dwarf gods reclaiming the lowlands and clearing it of evil and such! Better, but still not all about that.

Look here for clarification I am a gods fearing man and I respect the Sienna of Iron, but I ain't no avatar of nothing. Good dwarven iron killed that beast, and only after being beat on by 29 other dwarves and a polar bear.

Gotta say I am tired of all the traffic. I've really been spending more time by meself in the new office space. Just seen a bit too much and all the bug eyed looks I get now bother me.

I've also decided to hold off throwing out the new mayor. Really ain't got time to decide who babysits the civilians. Workers are carving out his new space. He also just became a parent so good for him!

Once the surface fort is finished We are going to have an invader entrance as an open door. From there I'm installing and upraised trench line they'll march through so we can shoot at them freely from the walls.
Old dwarven strategy and one of the only ones I respect. Hammer and Anvil. Dwarves hold the line as an anvil and send a small force behind to hit the enemy. Only reason it doesn't work better is because usually the hammer is led by incompetent nobles with no military experience, thus why my war camp never moved anywhere.

Also metal is here so we can officially start producing armor! With that once the fort is done I think Tomaki will lead our first raid!

Report on Monster Slayers

King Zultan: Currently inactive. He tends to just sit around to pray and meditate for months on end. Then it's like a switch flips and he goes and kills everything within miles of the fort!

"Lady" Jazmuk Unionmushroom: The one I said I'm sure is a bandit. I'm still convinced! she finally did some monster slaying for once and went around killing crundles! She didn't kill them right though... Crazy human would cut off one limb at a time before decapitating and so every severed piece reanimated. Did this several times! Not a big issue killing crundle zombies is as hard as stepping on them, but something ain't right in her head!

The Dwarf from the Dark
Moldath had been serving out his conscription with the goblin empire for several years now.

He had killed people who likely would've been his allies under different circumstances, but did form some friendships with other non-goblins who were in the same boat.

They were thrown out in badlands, marshes, tundras and deserts. Weapons and armor had to be scavenged as the goblins didn't care whether they lived or died just absorbed crossbow bolts.

It was a nightmare that Moldath spent most of his time in a daze through operating purely on instinct.
The worst battle being when they were sent against a necromancer's tower. Thousands of goblins and slaves came together for that battle, and Moldath likely survived only because there were so many others who got to die in his place.

Now he was at Turmoilhated. A fort built long ago by human bandits. It marked the border between human and goblin lands, and switched hands every few months.
He was fishing at a fetid pond, as was his job, but likely wouldn't catch anything. Previous tenants used it as a garbage dump.

His warbuddies, and fellow conscripts, could be seen walking to him from the fort itself. Two elves, a human and a dwarf.
"Hey mouldy your sentence is up!" Atera the Elf said
He didn't bother to turn around from staring at his fishing rod "Doubt that"
Only time on the battlefield counted so he likely would be doing this for another decade
"It is today. You're coming with us" He grunted in protest from having his concentration disturbed and turned to them
"We're leaving Mouldy. Human lands are right there and we're free"
Could they really just walk out? Moldath couldn't help, but doubt it'd be that easy, but he supposed he had gone through worse over the last few years. He dropped the fishing rod and picked up his axe from a nearby tree stump and stared at them
"Alright good let's go" Atera said and the group was off to the south

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2021, 09:30:23 am »

We're having a bit of a time skip right now with the fort as I move things forward, but in the mean time here's an update on some new faces and world events

After many many battles throughout the last few years the goblins have successfully held onto Turmoilhated a former bandit fort that has essentially been the border for the last century, and have driven straight to the human capital
The casualties have been in the hundreds for both sides, and our latest migrant wave are all dwarves from Squirtbaked (the capital). They all have at least 15 kills to their names each and are obviously fleeing the near destruction. considering that the town only had a handful of dwarves before and these are all from our civilization I can only presume these dwarves went there as allies to assist and are now fleeing

There's still over 1000 residents of Squirtbaked, but unless something happens soon it seems unlikely that humanity will survive the coming years

the circle is the fort and the asterik * is the human capital

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2021, 10:29:40 am »

Sad news friends I've hit a game crashing error that'll pop up after the passage of a few in-game days

I got some back ups that are semi-recent so I can try to go back and see if I can circumvent whatever the trigger event is entirely
and barring that I'll just take the file to get fixed

More disheartening for me I hate losing progress more than anything

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2021, 02:58:54 am »

Hopefully you'll be able to recover the save, I liked this fort.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2021, 09:28:02 pm »

Hopefully you'll be able to recover the save, I liked this fort.

We're back in business!!!
Save is good and we are still skipping ahead with time!

Relevant updates: The mayor who got killed by the undead god...well his wife has been in our hospital for almost two years. We couldn't get our hands on a traction bench to put her on so shes been trapped in there all this time(and witnessed multiple reanimations too)! Now we have a bench so she might be single, but she will finally be able to walk soon though!

Also random dwarves who are so mentally traumatized by raining mucus that they curl up into the fetal position on the surface. By the time they calm down again the mucus starts raining once more and they go back into another episode. This place has to be incredibly disturbing to visitors

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2021, 05:54:53 am »

Huzza it lives!

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2021, 08:29:01 pm »

Act II Looming Threats

From up above the tundra was a disgusting yellow blanket. For countless miles all you'd see is stinking yellow only ever broken by aimless dots of wandering undead and the occasional fly swarm nesting and feasting on the detritus from the sky

The surface fortress of Floorsavages was like a bile pustule waiting to be burst. The color of its stones impossible to determine from the layer of mucus, but rising from the flat surface. What should have been a declaration of resistance looked more like a boil.
Dwarves had gone too and fro looting the collapsed remains of the wagons
Soldiers dug through frozen mucus and lifted up new prizes to wear
Some dwarves cracked open the kegs left behind and enjoyed a drink between trips
Children started gathering around the spectacle despite the insistence of parents

Then, as it always did, Mucus began to rain again. In response wailing rose.
The fort was littered with madmen. Homeless and lost to despair they wandered from the bowels of the earth to the surface. Hardly eating or drinking and despairing inevitable doom. The mucus was a reminder of the evilness of the land and they only cried ever louder in response.
Workers pushed aside their drinks and hurried to the now unpleasant task

Hours passed by. Mucus gave way to a blizzard of snow and ice and all workers had already gone below, but not the children. They had stayed until too late.
Tobulgireth an undead polar bear much like the one that had defeated the plains god had come searching for life. Two children were buried under its great body. The beast lacking intelligence of its living counterparts it had no concept of inflicting lethal blows like a true predator. It savaged the children. Their cries and resistance slowly growing quieter as attack after attack inevitably became more fatal

But in the distance through the blizzard a silhouette was visible. A single dwarf warrior marched to the beast. Besmar the First Defender alone
He refused to wait for backup to save the children and went ahead. In an instant the bear made eye contact. It lunged off from the children to the dwarf.
Besmar was fast as a whip and slammed the bear with his god-slaying mace three times. First in the leg, and as the bear tumbled past again in the chest and then abdomen. The bear did not slow at all and swiped and charged at Besmar as he dodged each blow. He again struck at its legs, but the beast was unaffected. Back and forth they fought. Every blow of Besmar to either topple or end the beast did not damage it, and the beast could not hit him.
But the beast had endless lifeless energy and Besmar was still a dwarf. It roared and charged slamming into him and throwing him to the ground. He rolled and dodged slashing out at it. Were it a living beast it might recoil to protect itself, but it only continued to lash out without landing a blow. He bit its rotten front leg with his teeth and latched on firmly, and even still the beast could not hit him as he continued to beat it with his mace.
The titanic struggle seemed to last an eternity until finally out of the blizzard three more dwarves charged in, including Zan Besmar's second in his squad and wielder of his first mace. The three worked on the bear and even though their weapons did little against its hard flesh and bone it was eventually beaten down until Zulban charged ahead and came with his Bronze Warhammer crashing down crushing the foul beast's mangy skull in an explosion of gore
"Mangled it...Good. you lads will make good dwarven soldiers yet" Besmar said gruffly
They turned and saw the children. Both were dead and horribly mutilated, but not mangled. No one said a word. They all gathered around and took up guard around the small corpses. Ready to do the grim work needed when the children inevitably rose again...

Down below on a great dwarven highway
under the interim mayor's tenure the highway was almost complete. A vast dwarven tunnel stretching from the surface fort all the way to the second cavern layer allowing caravans direct access to the fort. The last section of tunnel had to be dug, but there was a wrinkle.
It was above the dwarves and completely flooded. The aquifer above was tainted with the carcass of Libash who was reanimated and trapped.
Tokami and his team were dispatched to wait at the end of the mine while miners began to break through to the foul waters above.

Moldath and the rest were briefed by Tokami as they waited. "The magic here keeps bodies from decomposing once they animate. They stay in whatever condition they were in. Libash died from drowning and likely hasn't rotted at all. That said she has been sitting in this water for over a year now. So we can't be sure what state she will be in. We make this quick and clean. Hold onto the walls around you and as she falls out with the rest of the water we will break her. Quick clean and mangled just like the First Defender likes it, right?"
It was hard for Moldath to believe he spent years as a slave-soldier to goblins just to fight in this hellhole. When did he get to enjoy some rest? His fighting experience prevented him from having a choice from joining the militia here.

The nervous miner finally made it. Dwarves grabbed onto the rough walls around them. The water was already almost to their ankles from being so close to the Aquifer. The miner took one great stroke against the wall. Two. Three
Black water exploded out. the miner was engulfed in it, presumably slammed into the wall and then washed down the tunnel below towards the fortress.
Within the seconds that felt like minutes fetid black water rushed past and knocked his fellow squadmates down the tunnel as well. The few that held on watched. Just barely within the water was a dwarfish form. The dwarf-thing was bloated beyond belief and its skin had fallen off, but all beneath it was still in perfect condition. The beast rolled helplessly as it went downstream.
Above the loud onrush of water Tokami shouted for them to strike.
Feb slashed Dead-Libash's arm off with her free hand, Moldath her right leg, and Tokami finally cut her head free as the body flew past them.
"Uvash curse it! We didn't mangle it the body is heading for the fort!"
Libash's head and limbs didn't follow the rest of her and had already reanimated. With a quick stomp of their feet or swing of their weapons they were dealt with as they rushed down the tunnel to catch the rest of her.
She had already reanimated again and was attacking dwarven citizens down the tunnel who were paralyzed and helpless. They descended on her before she could wound anyone.

Down at the Fortress Proper
work continued in the fort unabated.
Outside the fort were constant struggles against the dead. Living crundles being chased by undead monsters, drowned dwarves waiting in the ponds for others to join them, and patrolling dwarves looking to keep the numbers of the dead in check while civilians gathered wild fungi for the people of the fort.

Inside troops drilled in the square.
The titan god's skeleton hung from the central spire as a permanent reminder of dwarven triumph.
the mayor's office finished as he met with the human merchant's guild about the capital's devastation
Dwarves prayed and meditated, including one famous monster slayer
The blacksmith's spire was completed. Hollowed out to allow heat to exit it saw the works of dwarven smiths. Tender in their works in comparison to humans or goblins when at work at a forge.
Another spire dotted with windows as the new farmer's guild who kept flocks and fields below
And the Jeweler spire where Tonnot worked day and night creating wealth to keep the fort worthwhile for traders

The world outside was madness, chaos and death. Even with it being so distant though the dwarves knew that the line between this society and that world was thinly guarded by dwarven sacrifice. The wails of madmen were a constant reminder of such

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2021, 08:31:05 pm »

If you guys with named dwarves feel like fleshing out your characters at all some more feel free!

Tonnot has no relations at this fort, but is hard at work at the spire

Tomaki is leading a squad, but also he has fellow hunters from the Steppes now at this fort. Some of them have competing kill counts with him, and then there begs the question. Who hunts giant beasts and beastmen in a region that is an active warzone?

King Zultan meditates and prays all day between drinking before going on wild killing sprees (he hasn't had one for a bit so another one is definitely soon). To me he seems the definition of a warrior-monk either seeking glory or redemption.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2021, 04:17:09 am »

King Zultan meditates and prays all day between drinking before going on wild killing sprees (he hasn't had one for a bit so another one is definitely soon). To me he seems the definition of a warrior-monk either seeking glory or redemption.
I was wondering what had become of him, also that's pretty awesome that he's like a warrior monk type.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2021, 08:59:39 pm »

Log of Interim Mayor Kumil

Following the death of my predecessor at the hands of that titan god, that our first defender defeated, a vote was taken. I won the vote by simply having the louder amount of "yays"

Following this I've worked without rest to ensure new bed rooms are carved as well as my own office.
Besmar believes it was out of self-interest I demanded we prioritize my office, but even as we speak we have a line of dwarves waiting outside covered in deranging mucus, their own tears and vomit as they try to process the horrors of this hellhole

I am thus very busy, but the good news is that our head(and only) jeweler Tonnot has made an artifact!

A beautiful bed! I was drafting a committee to decide which fort official was most deserving of the piece when Besmar had it hauled off to the common room! To think one of the greatest beds on the planet being used as a bed for any common traveler to sleep on?! It makes all dwarves look mad!

Following this we had a goblin poet arrive. He was acting as a courier and supposedly was one of many running across the lands declaring that a new age had begun for the world:

I can't help but fear this is our fault. What with killing that elven god and all!
That mixed with the sacking of the human capitol and the fact that the elves were already endangered has left us dwarves as the last major player next to the necromancers in opposing goblin dominion. I intend to form a committee for the future of the fort in these trying times!

By the Abyss they are already here!! I am moving to my safety room with my assistant with writing material! If the goblins win the world must know of the heroic attempts by mayor Kumil to bring civilization to this place!

The End of All Things

The two captain's Besmar and Tokami waited within the surface fort. 20 dwarves seemed maybe more than enough. Besmar wanted to bring more, but the odds of undead monsters attacking the true fortress below was always a present threat.
Tokami felt sure they could handle it with this bunch. They had about the same numbers as the goblins.

In fact, the goblins weren't even heading for the fort. They were chasing undead ravens across the surface while vomiting and panicking as a tundra of mind-melting mucus pelted them.
It seemed a reasonable option to simply wait until they went mad or wandered over, but Besmar quelled these thoughts:
Either the dwarves would sit here so long many of them would have to go below to resupply or worse the goblins would slowly die off and before they knew it they'd have a zombie invasion on the surface too.

"We have to go get them" Besmar said flatly. The first group was not far from the surface fort and made easy pickings as the dwarves crushed them, but being armored opponents many weren't so cleanly mangled like the ones before.

Add to this that some dwarves got excited by the bloodletting and ran far ahead of the rest to engage the second group as the first group's remains reanimated and preoccupied a little over half of the dwarven soldiers.

Still these likely weren't even truly trained goblin soldiers. Just raiders looking for easy wealth for they fell the dwarven metal quickly enough with only a few injuries.

New metal has gone out of its way to bring itself here to us it seems Besmar thought as he and his men made their way back to the underground. They forgot the injured.

On the surface sat Tokami with a basic leg injury and two others: Nil and Kumil.
The three huddled near each other as another mucus blizzard settled in. The dead began to rise.
They sat in a field of the dead and dismembered and killed over and over and over again
Armies, heads, toes, and entire corpses shambled over and they killed each one.

Fortress scavengers had already come out by now eager to loot the treasures of the fort, and they all panicked and ran as they saw the dead rising. One was chased by a goblin close to Tokami and he was able to save the dwarf from probable doom. She cowered there as he and the others kept killing over and over.
They were too exhausted to do a thorough mangling so at this point the corpses were just getting back up as the ruckus attracted their fellows back to defend them.

Nil died. A goblin reanimated for the third time atop her and clawed her throat out. Tokami caved the goblin's skull in and crushed another severed arm.

And then: Nil Stood up and Tokami was too slow

she was atop him in a moment after hours maybe a whole day of fighting and retching he could only lay still as she punched him over and over and over and over. He felt strangely at ease even though he never got to marry a girl he did master a skill and make a name for himself. Nil didn't really want to hurt him she had been hijacked by this strange place and he didn't feel any vengeance towards her. He looked oddly at ease as she punched him and his head exploded into gore; She dropped him without a second thought. Thoroughly mangled as Besmar would have wanted.

She turned to the scavenger dwarf Tokami had been protecting and descended rabidly scratching at the dwarf over and over, but before she could critically wound her a mace came from seemingly nowhere and knocked the corpse down. Before she could rise again it came down twice more finally exploding the zombie dwarf's skull and ending it.

The scene was grim. Besmar knew he had erred. He stood silently over the corpse field killing any that rose and waited for medical teams to arrive. Two lessons were learned:

1.Always fight the enemy on your own turf where help was easy to reach
2.Undead reanimated with all the power they had in life. Elite soldiers reanimated into terrors.

It honestly hurt a good deal losing Tokami who also was one of the greatest hunters on earth. Hunting giant monsters in the world's most active warzone for years.
Pages: 1 2 [3]