Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Writing a SciFi/Gamelit Story called the Weaveborn Saga  (Read 2501 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Writing a SciFi/Gamelit Story called the Weaveborn Saga
« on: July 08, 2021, 02:35:09 am »

I've been writing a novel in my spare time for a while, and I'm finally taking the plunge and decided to start getting it out there. I've written copy professionally and done a lot of various fiction writing for fun over the years (mods for PC games, tabletop game stories, stories to tell my kids, etc) but never actually tried to get anything published under my own name. At this point I've pretty much written the whole first book (67,691 words) and am working on a strategy to get it in front of people and maybe even make enough money off it to quit some of my side gigs/overtime work and focus more on writing. I plan to make it at least a trilogy, possibly as many as 7 or 10 books, depending on how it's received.

The current plan is to put it out on Royal Road a chapter at a time and possibly other sites (I have a domain of my own, but haven't bothered putting up a website yet) over the coming few months. Once it's got a bit of a following and I'm solidly into book 2, maybe pull it from there a book at a time and put it on Kindle Unlimited. Right now it's pending approval on Royal Road, so it will probably be up there tomorrow or the next day.

Basically, it's a spin on those stuck in the game stories. Guy plays a VR MMO, weird stuff happens, he can't log out, and then people are trying to kill his character. At its core it's a Sci-Fi story. Going for believable sci-fi, but not too hard - plenty of room for fun things. The Weave is a fast travel system and a lot more, but that won't be elaborated on much for a while. I'm posting the prologue and chapter 1 here today to gauge interest, which is basically just the intro to the story and probably a bit too much exposition. Much more action in coming chapters, which I hope doesn't detract from it too much.

Book 1 is called Seeds of the Weaveborn. I made up a fairly creepy looking cover for it:

Spoiler: Cover (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Prologue (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Chapter 1 - Meet Cian (click to show/hide)

I wanted to post it here since I've been a member of this community for ages and always see a lot of cool stuff here first. So. Thoughts? Opinions? Is it something you would want to read more of? No outside links here yet, since I don't even have it approved on Royal Road yet and I haven't done anything with Patreon yet.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: Writing a SciFi/Gamelit Story called the Weaveborn Saga
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 04:33:26 pm »

As one aspiring author to another (recently finished a draft of my own book), I bid you good luck!

I'm probably not exactly the target audience here (I've watched most big-name sci-fi shows/films, but I mainly read classic literature), but already in these two segments there's some themes building that I find very cool!

The disconnect in the Prologue between what the aliens say, and what the man thinks, is well-done, and leaves me wondering (in a good, mystery way) where the "real" reality lies - there's a sense that the game isn't "just a game".

Perhaps I'm reading into it a bit much, but Chapter 1 seems to set up a theme of the hyper-monetization of gaming, and by extension consumerism and financial exploitation generally, in the way the game costs far more than a game ought to, contrasted with the mention of a struggling economy. Sci-fi is often more about the author's own time than about the future, and that certainly seems to be the case here (the word "microtransactions" comes instantly to mind). There's a nice irony brewing in that the game takes place in a "dystopian sci-fi future," while the book seems to take place in much the same sort of setting - rich elites playing expensive video games while ordinary folk can't find decent jobs, that sort of thing.

This bit here particularly intrigued me:
It was so popular among the elite that the world stock markets had started trading in virtual resources and tracking in-game markets.
It sounds, perhaps, that it's not just the character who is stuck in the game - the real world, it seems, is becoming beholden to this virtual one. That sounds like a very interesting spin on the basic story. If that's what you're going for already, awesome! If not, it could still be a cool direction to take, maybe for a later installment.

The deployment of gaming lingo is quite good - it sounds legit and unforced. I seem to recall most "stuck-in-the-game" stories as being written by people who obviously had never played a video game before... it's refreshing to read it done well.

I do have a few critiques on stylistic and narrative points, but I won't discuss those unless asked (I know some people don't like unsolicited criticism, so I try to accommodate!) Overall, however, I think there's a lot of cool stuff going on, and I can see this growing into a really interesting and thought-provoking story.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 02:46:59 am »

Thanks for the comments! Good luck with your book too! Constructive criticism would be welcome, too. I'm new to the whole fiction writing thing, so I know I can refine my writing more.

You have the right idea with the hyper-monetization of gaming and dystopian setting of the book world, but it's for a different reason than you might suspect. It's a reveal that I plan to be a bit of a slow burn, though - probably not fully explained until book 2, but enough hints dropped along the way that I'm sure a lot of readers will get it before that.

I'm glad the prologue worked. It's meant to be a hook and to leave the reader wondering, to get the reader to stick with it long enough to be drawn into the world. On Royal Road I actually stuck the Prologue at the start of Chapter 1, since I know some people outright skip Prologues and wanted have it be the first thing people read.

Speaking of, it got approved so I went ahead and added Chapter 2 on there since it's Friday here now (technically barely Friday, I have weird work hours so I'm often up at 2 or 3 am lol)

If anyone is interested in reading it on RR, it's here: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/44782/the-weaveborn-saga
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 10:02:34 pm »

You have the right idea with the hyper-monetization of gaming and dystopian setting of the book world, but it's for a different reason than you might suspect. It's a reveal that I plan to be a bit of a slow burn, though - probably not fully explained until book 2, but enough hints dropped along the way that I'm sure a lot of readers will get it before that.
Ah, cool! Nothing like a little mystery to keep up interest - although too much mystery can work against that (lookin' at you, LOST!)

As for critique - and remember, all critique is based on the critic's personal opinions, and you know your story far better than anyone else, so take it with as much salt as you need:

Spoiler: Critique (click to show/hide)

I hope some of that helps. It's probably a lot of stuff you already know. It sort of boils down to this: slow down a bit and don't dump so much info on the audience. Oh, and give Cian more personality!

I'd also like to say that your prose is extremely clear, very concise, and eminently readable. These are excellent qualities, that many writers (even professionals) don't have!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 11:38:58 am »

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it, and I agree with you on the prologue and first chapter. It's probably my weakest part of the book, and I've struggled with rewriting it. I already moved some of the info out of the chapter and into further chapters, but I didn't want to take too much away from it. It still needs work. I actually tried to do the show don't tell bit - the rest of the book has him learning more about the world while playing.

I'll have to see if I can build a bit more personality into the start for Cian. I wanted to be a bit vague about his appearance so that the reader can draw their own conclusions and imagine him how they like, and he's supposed to be kind of the average down-on-your-luck college grad in a failing economy. His personality comes out more in later chapters as he interacts with the characters.

I think I will take time to rewrite the first bit. I have enough of a backlog to keep posting while I reformulate it a bit. Especially if I ever put my work on Kindle Unlimited, I need the first 10% to be a hook that gets people wanting to read the whole thing.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 12:21:48 pm »

What do you think of this for a revised prologue?

Spoiler: Prologue (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 12:32:30 pm by Paul »

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 08:22:58 am »

Great! I think those changes really improve both the tension and readability of the scene. Focusing on the man at the beginning wonderfully heightens the irony later on.

I actually tried to do the show don't tell bit - the rest of the book has him learning more about the world while playing.
I figured you knew that adage, and the revised prologue is a great example of it I think.
I still think Chapter 1 could be expanded into at least two, maybe three chapters*, more slowly introducing the concepts so that it doesn't come all at once.

* - of the same length, ~2500 words; I think you could pull off longer chapters if you want - mine, for comparison, are usually 5000 - 6000 words.

I'll have to see if I can build a bit more personality into the start for Cian. I wanted to be a bit vague about his appearance so that the reader can draw their own conclusions and imagine him how they like, and he's supposed to be kind of the average down-on-your-luck college grad in a failing economy. His personality comes out more in later chapters as he interacts with the characters.
Appearance doesn't really matter - I didn't even notice you didn't give him one! And it's probably okay to put off any deep characterization until later - his situation is likely to elicit enough sympathy to interest the reader.

I'll keep reading as I can, though it might be slow going! Giving good critique takes time and focus, neither of which I have in great quantities these days.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 12:35:56 pm »

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't want to stretch the first part out too much. The beginning arc is already pretty long before things start really happening. The chapter posting tomorrow is the start of the second arc where Cian changes his class and things start to break and he loses the ability to log out. And it won't be until a bit into book 2 that the "starring cast" as it were actually starts to come together. It already feels a bit slow to me, but I don't want to rush the story either.

I'm glad I started writing. Even if I don't ever make a penny on it it's still a fun experience.