Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 153

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (Game Over): Lessons Of Mob Mentality  (Read 91006 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

The white, unmarked van slowly rolled up to the side of the warehouse. The reinforced exterior bounced lightly against the curb. Moving with practiced efficiency, an expert team deployed in seconds, carrying their payload.

WUBA-Inc Hotdog Catering was the best in the business for speed, bulk delivery, and flavor. They were frequently called upon when there was little to no warning given for food-requiring events. Birthdays, business barbecues, conventions... unfortunately, it was quite the tough business. Especially given their main competitors - Mafiaco Deli.

When the WUBA employees rolled into the building, they found to their shock that Mafiaco had already set up shop. When they fled, they noticed their tires were, somehow, outright removed. It took several humiliating hours for the tow truck to finally get the van moving, during which they had to watch Mafiaco steal their planned catering contract.

The evidence was clear. WUBA-Inc had a mole. Probably several. Mafiaco was well known for corporate espionage, and rumors suggested that they weren't above sending obstacles to the hospital. Or... the morgue.

The suspects were rounded up, and in compliance with ancient tradition, told to figure out who the moles were themselves.

This is Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3, a closed-setup game of forum mafia. I will be taking any number of players that want to join. In terms of thresholds for player count: with under 9 players, I'll do my best to make the setup interesting, but it's going to be over shortly and it'll be a struggle to reach the depth of strategy present in the previous two MVM games. 9 players is my preferred minimum. Between 9 to 12 players, I'll likely be able to create a decent setup, on par with Mostly Vanilla Mafia 2. I'd really like to shoot for 13+ players, since it'd allow me to experiment with setup creation, while still remaining within the core bounds of the MVM ruleset and guidelines. Both new players and veterans are welcome to join - while everyone will have a power role (no boring Vanilla Townies and Mafiosos here), you won't be seeing the unbridled chaos and uncertainty of a BYOR. The game is not vanilla, but it has vanilla roots. A few notes below:

The game is called Mostly Vanilla Mafia because most roles will be vanilla and a few will be mostly vanilla. There's a difference between an Odd-Night Cop and a Pyromaniac Cop, after all. The existence of unusual role modifiers and combinations is something you'll have to watch out for - don't try to outguess the mod. The mafiascum wiki will have most or all of the role names you'll see in the game.

The days will not be allowed to drag on. In the interest of creating a game that doesn't drag on forever and leave players exhausted and unmotivated, I'm taking a few pages out of Wuba's book, with a few of my own touches. 72 hour Days, 24 hour Nights, no player-voted or caused extensions. Mod-instituted extensions in the event of a daykill, replacement, or meta-related reason - for something like exams or a player having a personal emergency - can still occur. Hammers will be in full effect (when the majority of players are voting a single target, the Day immediately ends, please stop posting after that point, and that player is executed). As previously demonstrated, this leads to a faster and more enjoyable game.

A few ability types are ruled out and will not appear in the setup. First, no manipulation of votes. No Doublevoters, Vote Stealers, or Concealed Voters or such. Mechanics can still involve voting or execution, however - for example with a Vindictive modifier as seen in the previous game, or an execution-cancelling Governor. Secondly, just like in the previous Mostly Vanilla Mafia game, your role will not have any hidden modifiers - if you're a Cop, you won't secretly be Insane. Thirdly, it is possible for role flips to be obscured by a Janitor, but role flips will not lie (though let's be honest, this is just basic decency - I'm not running a bastard game). Fourth of all, I will never include alignment conversion in a game with less than 13 players, and even when it's an option it will not be deployed in an unlimited form. Finally, I'd like to ask for a little trust. Having the option to use something doesn't mean I will, and the more unbalancing it is, the less likely that I'll use it. I might not be a legend of design like webadict, but I've learned enough to avoid creating nightmares by now.

Here's an example list of vanilla and Mostly Vanilla roles, along with the alignments they would be given to.

Spoiler: List (click to show/hide)

More minor notes:
-When it comes to resolving actions, I'll do my best to use Natural Action Resolution principles as per the page on the mafiascum wiki. In the event that two actions of the game priority level clash, like with two kills or two role blocks, I'll use random.org and roll initiative to see what order they resolve in.
-After your death, you may post one 'bah' post to the thread containing no game-relevant information unless your role empowers you to do such. You will gain access to the deadchat at this point. I reserve the right to use a Medium role, so watch what you say while dead. If you are revived after gaining deadchat access, you lose deadchat access - since I can't revoke the link, it's honor system for this. Post-death revivals will be quite rare, and might not even be present at all, however.
-Don't edit your posts, even to correct spelling mistakes. (Just a reminder for new players)
-Try to be decent to your fellow players. I'm not going to come down with my mod hammer if you start insulting someone's play, but at least be constructive about it? Aggression is a valid tactic, but use it with moderation in mind.
-Don't directly quote PMs or quicktopic statements from the mod in the thread. If you have access to a 100% alignment-confirmed quicktopic, such as a mason chat or the mafiachat, you are allowed to directly quote mod PM statements in it. Otherwise, just don't. You may quote statements the mod makes from the thread, in the thread. (Things like vote counts, rules from the first post, etc) If you need to share information from your action results, private clarification questions, or role PM in thread, paraphrase!
-Flavor is intended to be mostly irrelevant. The sole exception is death flavor - you are definitely allowed to infer different death sources if after the Night two players are dead - one frothing at the mouth and the other from gunshots.

Playerlist (as of Round 5):
  • webadict
  • NJW2000
  • EuchreJack
  • Maximum Spin
  • Roden
  • Jim Groovester
  • ToonyMan
  • Magma Mater
  • Toaster
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 12:55:51 pm by FallacyofUrist »
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3: Thrice is Nice (0 / 9+)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 05:59:44 pm »

The lore continues.

In.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3: Thrice is Nice (0 / 9+)
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 08:25:45 pm »

Sounds fun, I'd like to try since I've only ever played basic games before.

In.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3: Thrice is Nice (2 / 9+)
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 09:41:09 pm »

Online Feline

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3: Thrice is Nice (4 / 9+)
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 05:01:14 am »

PTW for time being. If I join, at least I think I can play better than last time :D

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Mood: Cautiously Optomistic
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2021, 04:27:44 pm »

Best of luck Fal!
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2021, 04:59:43 pm »

In please! Attempting another large game may be hubris, but I'll try not to screw this up as badly as last time.
One wheel short of a wagon

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2021, 05:40:58 pm »

In please! Attempting another large game may be hubris, but I'll try not to screw this up as badly as last time.

You certainly rocked the Robot game!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3: Thrice is Nice (5 / 9+)
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2021, 05:46:05 pm »

And with that, we're halfway to our minimum. I'm pretty confident we'll be able to reach it, but not as sure about reaching the 13 mark that would let me make a really amazing game. Still, we'll see.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2021, 05:46:50 pm »

You certainly rocked the Robot game!
BYOR15 did not go very well for town...

Edit:
I thought it was 0 for some reason.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 06:05:39 pm by ToonyMan »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2021, 11:49:04 am »

In if we start after the 16th

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2021, 01:45:42 pm »

Yeah, that's definite, at the rate we're gaining players. After the 16th is pretty much a must.
Generic Arms Race.

prefuzek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2021, 08:54:45 pm »

Yeah, that's definite, at the rate we're gaining players. After the 16th is pretty much a must.

In that case...

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3: Thrice is Nice (7 / 9+)
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2021, 03:21:17 am »

In
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 153