Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 153

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (Game Over): Lessons Of Mob Mentality  (Read 88305 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R5, Day 1): A Single Clock And The Cracking Seal
« Reply #1890 on: January 19, 2022, 04:06:03 pm »

I'd say that NJW going after Roden on Day 1 is meta for town!NJW, but the only time I saw mafia!NJW his scumbuddy WAS Roden.  So more of a null read for NJW.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: January 19, 2022, 04:08:31 pm »

I could see town!Roden feeling that anything less than 100% reliable was fairly useless.  But I think mafia!Roden could come up with the idea of 75% COP as a pretty good fakeclaim.  So I'm null on Roden as well (I usually can't read Roden or NJW until Day 2, when they're a bit more obvious).

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: January 19, 2022, 04:12:22 pm »

I was kinda hoping MM would reply sooner rather than later, so I'm ready to jump on a ToonyMan train if anyone else is, and I can reassess later.  Maybe it's because I feel like their claim is too close to Vector's role in Round 3, but they're getting too combative with EJ.

@Web: Oh, you mean Vector's inventor in Round 3 is Toonyman's claim this time.  Now that you mention it, ToonyMan should be able to confirm that much on Night 1.  Plus Toonyman can't kill anyone because they HAVE to confirm their inventor on Night 1.
For the record, I think Toonyman is Not Combative enough with me.  But Unvote due to above.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: January 19, 2022, 04:14:11 pm »

75% cop would be a fantastic scum claim, but only if people agree that it isn't useless - then you can lead town to mislynch *and get away with it*. Claiming it would be useless would have to be an exercise in reverse psychology. On that basis, the logical scumpartner for Roden would be NJW - Roden to call it useless and NJW to convince everyone that it's good enough to go on.

Of course, we could ask, is Roden/NJW likely on meta terms? Well... honestly, maybe? I can imagine a "now do it again" setup like that. That said, I think it probably shouldn't be at the forefront of anyone's mind right now.

The important thing I wanted to convey, though, is this: If we all agree to treat Roden's results as unreliable, then its value as a fakeclaim is ruined. Therefore, I am going to commit to ignoring them.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: January 19, 2022, 04:20:16 pm »

Lynch the unreadable Toaster then.
Since probably either NJW or Toaster is scum, and I'll bet on Toaster as the liar.  Or maybe I'm being played by Toonyman.
Give me two options with my logic, and point at one so that I'll go with the other?

Still, I think Toaster is the scum because:
1) NJW plainly stated that he was a Miller.  This drew suspicion as it could be a mafia gambit, but is the Townie thing to do if true.
Besides, isn't Good Mafia play to AVOID suspicion?
2) Toaster sorta fumbled with his claim.  Like he didn't want to say too much about it.  I'm still waiting for an answer to my question as to whether or not my Neighborizer would work on them.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: January 19, 2022, 04:40:58 pm »

@Webadict:
@Web:
You never answered me about why you're voting Magma.
Yeah, you're right. I definitely didn't.
Wow, cool.

I was kinda hoping MM would reply sooner rather than later, so I'm ready to jump on a ToonyMan train if anyone else is, and I can reassess later.  Maybe it's because I feel like their claim is too close to Vector's role in Round 3, but they're getting too combative with EJ.

Is that a problem? Whatever. I'll think about it later.
Is this bait? You vote Magma for no reason and then noncommital vote me for bad reasons. This is very opportunistic.

Where is the town clearing Webadict of D1? Who's town?

@Jack:
I WAS town in KWN until YOU made me Scum, although I had a side-win condition.  So I'd say I was Suburban.
Oh, I thought Mechromancer was third-party. My bad then.

@NJW:
Readslist, as much to help me as for other people.
I mostly agree with your reads, although I'm more null on Jim and believe Roden more.

My reads:

Town
Max - I feel good about their opening posts, have talked about it earlier
Magma - I think they're getting too much hate from more suspicious players (e.g. Webadict, Jim)
Roden - I believe their opening claim, and it feels like they're very willing to help.

Townlean
Jack - I think they're being honest which makes me want to town lean them, I don't believe mafia!Jack would vote me like they did

Null
Jim Groovester - null, I've seen Jim play exactly like this as not-town. their claims makes me want to townlean them more since it's super ballsy for mafia!Jim...

Scummy, willing to vote
NJW2000 - I have nothing solid but I don't like their behavior, although I think if Toaster is mafia then they're clean
Toaster - can't read, I believed their null miller claim countered NJW's, but that doesn't seem to be the case? I feel like they don't want to take strong stances but they haven't flagged all the scumtells on my secret list
webadict - no strong presence, I think both their votes have been really bad, what's up my guy?

PPE:
Since probably either NJW or Toaster is scum
Yeah, I agree this is possible.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: January 19, 2022, 05:05:31 pm »

Now that you mention it, ToonyMan should be able to confirm that much on Night 1.  Plus Toonyman can't kill anyone because they HAVE to confirm their inventor on Night 1.
Yep, that's the plan.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: January 19, 2022, 05:51:07 pm »

@Magma: Care to vote Toaster?  Or other options that Aren't You?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: January 19, 2022, 05:55:47 pm »

Regarding why Magma isn't looking like mafia!Magma:
In the one game where Magma was mafia (Newbie Mafia), Magma was town read the entire game.
In this one, Magma seems to have stirred up a hornets nest.
Ergo, not meta for mafia!Magma, although I would expect new strategies for new games.
It is enough that I would at least like to see the lynch of Magma re-evaluated.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: January 19, 2022, 06:36:41 pm »

@Euchre: See, I'm actually in a different boat. I think the second Miller claim is more likely to be correct specifically because it seems more suspicious. I don't really see Toaster as a "rock-the-boat" type of scum, so it doesn't feel characteristic for him to claim Miller after a Miller existed. I don't think I can get behind a Toaster vote.

@NJW: Fair enough.

@Toony: Fiiine. I voted Magma initially because intuition. They seemed like a good person to pressure, and it would facilitate discussion because we only have 48 hours to decide, which is hella short. If anything, I was worried we'd get to the deadline without much being discussed, and I'm glad we have something.

Overall, I disagree with your assertions, and I think you're stretching a bit to try to make me scum. I kinda want to keep voting you, so I probably will, but I am unlikely to be able to justify voting you over someone else on Day 1.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: January 19, 2022, 06:43:35 pm »

Quote from: Votecount
webadict (1): ToonyMan
NJW2000 (0):
EuchreJack (0):
Maximum Spin (0):
Roden (1): NJW2000
Jim Groovester (0):
ToonyMan (1): webadict
Magma Mater (2): Jim Groovester, Maximum Spin
Toaster (1): EuchreJack

No Execution (0):
Not Voting (3): Roden, Magma Mater, Toaster
5 to hammer.

The Day was nearing its conclusion, but despite the many arguments, no consensus was forming. The lantern lighting the room flickered, causing a spasm of frightened movements among the many gathered.

The execution pit's spikes gleamed. Someone was going to die here. Their life would feed the fell ritual. Their death would feed the void.

Day 1 will end at 2 AM, Central/Forum time Thursday. This is approximately 8 hours from now - votes after the deadline will not count.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: January 19, 2022, 08:31:37 pm »

@Jack:
Regarding why Magma isn't looking like mafia!Magma:
In the one game where Magma was mafia (Newbie Mafia), Magma was town read the entire game.
In this one, Magma seems to have stirred up a hornets nest.
Ergo, not meta for mafia!Magma, although I would expect new strategies for new games.
It is enough that I would at least like to see the lynch of Magma re-evaluated.
I agree, I think this reasoning is correct.

@Webadict:
Overall, I disagree with your assertions, and I think you're stretching a bit to try to make me scum. I kinda want to keep voting you, so I probably will, but I am unlikely to be able to justify voting you over someone else on Day 1.
Like who?

It's very unlikely I'll be awake for Day end. Every player needs to be voting soon with reasons why. Out of players currently being voted I'm not okay with Magma, but I'm okay with Toaster or Webadict.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: January 19, 2022, 08:33:37 pm »

Oh right, Roden exists. I'm not okay with Roden either. NJW always has the one bad read every game.

Magma Mater

• Bay Watcher
  • Stray Cat cancels hunt vermin: seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: January 19, 2022, 08:33:55 pm »

@Magma Mater: I think this is a silly argument, and I think you think this is a silly argument, and I think you're going to do better focusing on something or someone else. I am Town here, and even if I was lying about knowing what the role does based on name alone (which I'm not because I was aware of a role by the name of Friendly Neighbor who says their alignment to a target each Night), the only real benefit for me as scum is that I am activelurking. I don't really even see a benefit for EuchreJack. It's just a flimsy argument.

So, let's back this up a bit because I think we can work better in the opposite direction: Who do you think is Town and why?
It's only become a silly argument because you've chosen to argue with me. You've chosen to make assumptions about what kind of information I'm hoping to gain by asking the questions, and you've chosen to be obtuse instead of simply answering my questions. Dodging questions only makes you more difficult to read.
With regard to your reasons for thinking my questions / comments are silly / flimsy, I've learned that scum don't always act logically, and they don't always think thoroughly about what they post. What they do do is try to post things that they think will make them look town, even if those things don't always make sense. What I saw in your post is an attempt to participate in the contemporary discussion using statement that didn't quite click to me.
Anyway, what you've said about Friendly Neighbor makes sense and clears up the issue for me, thank you for explaining that.

Now I'm going to be entirely hypocritical and neglect to answer your question about who I think is town, since it isn't really beneficial to reveal those at this time. My reasons are pretty much mech-based so it wouldn't give you any insight into my alignment anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 153