Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 153

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (Game Over): Lessons Of Mob Mentality  (Read 91088 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R1, Day 1): Seven In The Lounge (7/7)
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2021, 12:57:44 am »

Round 1 Begins!

The seven of you arrive in the lounge. You're certain of one thing - there must be at least one traitor among you. Likely more. Agents of the Mafiaco Deli, out to steal WUBA-Inc's secret mustard formula and ruin their business forever. This must not happen. So you all are resorting to an age-old tradition: democratic executions and investigations.

Quote from: Votecount
Toonyman (0):
Roden (0):
TricMagic (0):
EuchreJack (0):
NJW2000 (0):
Vector (0):
Metruption (0):

No Execution (0):
Not Voting (7): ToonyMan, Roden, TricMagic, EuchreJack, NJW2000, Vector, Metruption
4 to hammer.

Day 1 has begun, and will end at 1 AM Wednesday, approximately 48 hours from now. Or at hammer. Good luck, everyone.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2021, 04:52:58 am »

GLHF! Should we mass claim to panic scum and force them to come up with a fake claim on the spot? I haven't played short games in awhile, but I imagine forcing scum to claim early could trip them up, at least in the first round.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2021, 05:13:38 am »

The day start/end time for these is 2am my time so I don't expect to be on for those.

GLHF! Should we mass claim to panic scum and force them to come up with a fake claim on the spot? I haven't played short games in awhile, but I imagine forcing scum to claim early could trip them up, at least in the first round.
I'm game...care to go first?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2021, 06:09:55 am »

Best of luck all, and apologies in advance for any questionable plays!

Does this strategy have anything to it other than the hope that the scum panic? Because if they don't, I think an early massclaim would probably be quite scum-sided. Is there something I'm not seeing?

Some questions, in case the mass claim discussion falls flat.

Metruption: how much mafia have you played? Just trying to get an idea of where everyone is experience-wise.

EuchreJack: would you be more scared of a mafia with a standard mafiakill or a nonstandard lethal ability?

TricMagic: If you had a vigilante ability that let you townkill someone night one, would you be likely to use it? Why/why not?

Vector: how suspiscious are you of Day 1 rolefishing? As in, where do you place it on the spectrum from "Highly Reliable Scumtell" to "Not Indicative of Alignment"?

ToonyMan: do you have any particular order in mind if we do massclaim? I.e. who goes after Roden?
One wheel short of a wagon

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2021, 06:23:26 am »

Quote from: NJW2000
ToonyMan: do you have any particular order in mind if we do massclaim? I.e. who goes after Roden?
I can go second unless someone really wants to go before me. I don't think we need a particular order besides those that volunteer first.

An immediate massclaim could be beneficial for town. It is unlikely with this amount of players for there to be duplicate roles (I also feel FoU would find that boring for a setup), so if scum fakeclaim an existing role that could make them suspicious. This could make mafia less willing to claim early rather than later.

We also don't know what we're up against except that it's at least one mafia. Personally, I would expect two mafia with nerfed kill power or one mafia plus one mafia ally.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2021, 08:04:43 am »

I see all. Quite simply, I can confirm someone's action on me. So anyone who targeted me couldn't have done the kill. Unless of course they killed me, but protective roles would prevent that.

So~. Don't bother claiming quite yet. Day 2 will reveal the truth.

Roden, why do you want a massclaim? It's not even the good type where you state your role, are you vanilla?

As for a VG skill, depends as always on what other abilities are in play. Right now, no. I can gain more info for town simply letting people target me. And no, not a were-something.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2021, 08:59:46 am »

That's perfect Tric, since now you can confirm which players weren't killing anyone if you see them tonight. The only downside is if mafia just kill you tonight instead, however we can play around this.

I like Roden and Tric's first posts. They feel town to me.

I'm ambivalent about NJW.

I'll vote Vector, is Tric worth killing N1?

Metruption and Jack...how serious will you be in this game?

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2021, 12:48:59 pm »

Metruption: how much mafia have you played? Just trying to get an idea of where everyone is experience-wise.
I'm very familiar with forum mafia.

I expect this to be a game with lots of low power roles. Scum probably has either a delayed night kill with unlimited uses and MAYBE a one shot vig nk.
I expect poison to be the delayed night kill and I assume it works like they target a player at night and that player dies at the end of the next day, whether or not they KNOW they are poisoned I don't know. There might even be a town role that can tell if people are poisoned, but it wouldn't be me.

I'm a commuter and you can expect me to be dabbing out each and every night so that I don't get stabbed, shot, poisoned, etc.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2021, 12:50:59 pm »

@mod, what sort of private scum communication is allowed?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2021, 01:19:51 pm »

The Mafia is also guaranteed to appear. A small-ish minority of players will be Mafia, and will have the benefits of private communication during both the Night and Day (potentially enabled by an Encryptor) and a factional Mafiakill ability which can be used by any of their players to kill a target once per night. They are undoubtedly anti-town, and will win once their membership count is greater than or equal to the number of other players in the game, at least one of them is still alive, and it is not possible for them to be opposed. For example, if there were four players left - two town and two mafia, but the town had a Bus Driver, it would be possible for the mafia's own kill to be redirected onto one of their own members and leave the game in a two-town one-mafia situation.
Aside from the 'factional Mafiakill ability' statement (which has been modified as per my earlier note), the remainder of this still holds true.

In Bay 12, private communication in mafia games is typically enabled via a Quicktopic, which is a free disposable private chat service. For any and all private chats in this game, that's what I'll be using. By default the mafia's chat will be fully available during both the Night and Day.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2021, 01:35:12 pm »

thanks =]

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2021, 01:37:45 pm »

Didn't you already know that though? A commuter isn't a role I can confirm Metruption. It's a very convenient fakeclaim. But one you shouldn't have revealed. Now Mafia would know not to waste a kill action on you, and there is no way to confirm who you are other than lynching you.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2021, 02:04:01 pm »

I'm Bulletproof, so the only way scum can get rid of me is either through poison or end gaming me. Met sounds like he's basically untouchable, and Tric's role will essentially reveal who poisons him if he has a delayed death. So far, this narrows down who can get shot or poisoned, giving scum less choices and town roles a better shot at investigating and protecting successfully.

This also implies scum could have a 1-shot Ninja or Strongman though, since we have multiple roles that make it difficult for scum to do anything.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2021, 03:48:31 pm »

@Metruption:
I expect this to be a game with lots of low power roles.
This sounds reasonable and matches what I have.

I expect poison to be the delayed night kill and I assume it works like they target a player at night and that player dies at the end of the next day, whether or not they KNOW they are poisoned I don't know. There might even be a town role that can tell if people are poisoned, but it wouldn't be me.
Hmm, poison is possible but I don't think mafia actually have it.

I'm a commuter and you can expect me to be dabbing out each and every night so that I don't get stabbed, shot, poisoned, etc.
So you can just self-hide every night to save yourself? I find this more suspicious than Tric's claim.

@Roden:
I'm Bulletproof, so the only way scum can get rid of me is either through poison or end gaming me. Met sounds like he's basically untouchable, and Tric's role will essentially reveal who poisons him if he has a delayed death. So far, this narrows down who can get shot or poisoned, giving scum less choices and town roles a better shot at investigating and protecting successfully.

This also implies scum could have a 1-shot Ninja or Strongman though, since we have multiple roles that make it difficult for scum to do anything.
The amount of passive roles is a bit staggering to me right now. I was willing to throw down my role this morning, but I'm hesitant now as my ability is not passive and one that I would rather scum didn't know since every player so far has reactionary powers.

The fact you're just Bulletproof and not One-Shot Bulletproof does implies that mafia may have a way to circumvent your armor, I agree.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2021, 03:57:30 pm »

Armor wouldn't work against poison.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 153