Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 153

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (Game Over): Lessons Of Mob Mentality  (Read 91109 times)

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R1, Day 1): Seven In The Lounge (7/7)
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2021, 04:03:49 pm »

I'm Bulletproof, so the only way scum can get rid of me is either through poison or end gaming me. Met sounds like he's basically untouchable, and Tric's role will essentially reveal who poisons him if he has a delayed death. So far, this narrows down who can get shot or poisoned, giving scum less choices and town roles a better shot at investigating and protecting successfully.

This also implies scum could have a 1-shot Ninja or Strongman though, since we have multiple roles that make it difficult for scum to do anything.
My pronouns are they/them.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2021, 05:09:57 pm »

So there's a bullet-proof claim (Roden) and a commuter claim (Metruption). That's two completely passive roles claimed. A third passive role (claimed by Tric) as well. Unless 1+ of these three is lying (probable), there are only 4 possible actors tonight. We could narrow things down nicely if we had a way to confirm actions that DIDN'T depend on Tric. Hm.

Roden: you're bulletproof, or claim to be, and also suggested a massclaim right out the gate. I find this a little odd for several reasons.

One is that a bulletproof town player is stronger if the scum don't know about them, as there's a reasonable chance that mafia will attempt to shoot them at some point. So a bulletproof townie would not particularly want to claim, all else being equal.

Another is that the presence of a town player with a passive bulletproof ability makes a massclaim weaker, as they would not be able to give town information of any kind in the night, and it would require some kind of investigative ability to even partially confirm their claim. If you are bulletproof town, you suggested doing something only you knew wouldn't be as useful to town as it might seem to other players. Odd.

So... any explanation, Roden?

On similar lines:
I expect this to be a game with lots of low power roles.
I'm a commuter and you can expect me to be dabbing out each and every night so that I don't get stabbed, shot, poisoned, etc.
You claim to have bulletproof-on-steroids and you expect lots of low power roles ???
Why do you expect this, if your role is so strong?
One wheel short of a wagon

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2021, 08:28:25 pm »

I'm Bulletproof, so the only way scum can get rid of me is either through poison or end gaming me. Met sounds like he's basically untouchable, and Tric's role will essentially reveal who poisons him if he has a delayed death. So far, this narrows down who can get shot or poisoned, giving scum less choices and town roles a better shot at investigating and protecting successfully.

This also implies scum could have a 1-shot Ninja or Strongman though, since we have multiple roles that make it difficult for scum to do anything.
My pronouns are they/them.
Whoops, sorry, I'll keep that in mind.

@Roden:

The amount of passive roles is a bit staggering to me right now. I was willing to throw down my role this morning, but I'm hesitant now as my ability is not passive and one that I would rather scum didn't know since every player so far has reactionary powers.

The fact you're just Bulletproof and not One-Shot Bulletproof does implies that mafia may have a way to circumvent your armor, I agree.
Honestly, I'm hesitant to believe the Commuter claim myself. Having a player with complete intangibility in a seven player game feels a little out there. If scum, it would be the easiest fake claim to deter investigative roles from targeting them so they don't "waste" their night action.

@Met: Do you know how or why you became a Commuter?

Roden: you're bulletproof, or claim to be, and also suggested a massclaim right out the gate. I find this a little odd for several reasons.

One is that a bulletproof town player is stronger if the scum don't know about them, as there's a reasonable chance that mafia will attempt to shoot them at some point. So a bulletproof townie would not particularly want to claim, all else being equal.

Another is that the presence of a town player with a passive bulletproof ability makes a massclaim weaker, as they would not be able to give town information of any kind in the night, and it would require some kind of investigative ability to even partially confirm their claim. If you are bulletproof town, you suggested doing something only you knew wouldn't be as useful to town as it might seem to other players. Odd.

So... any explanation, Roden?
I think my suggestion makes perfect sense. First off, scum have to choose whether or not to believe me, since for all they know I'm really just a Cop faking BP so I don't get shot. Second, protective roles and/or the Vig know to stay off me now, if any exist, increasing our chances of blocking the NK/shooting scum tonight. And third, it reduces credibility for anyone else who claims BP or similar roles.

For your second point, what scum suggests to mass claim and then claims BP? I'm only suggesting it in the first place because days will be quick and our information is low. Forcing scum to fake claim early in a quick game would very likely trip them up and back them into a corner, as opposed to just random wagoning somebody Day 1 and hoping for the best.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2021, 08:45:42 pm »

I think I trust TricMagic here although I don't have much to go on today besides past experience playing with them and having a feel for how they'd start a game as town or mafia. So I'm putting them as town.

I think it's possible there's one mafia inside Roden/Metruption, but no more.

I'm unsure of NJW.

I don't have anything to go on for Jack and Vector currently.

@Met:
Armor wouldn't work against poison.
How confident are you that mafia have poison in this game?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2021, 09:55:14 pm »

EuchreJack: would you be more scared of a mafia with a standard mafiakill or a nonstandard lethal ability?

I'm definitely more scared of a standard mafiakill than a nonstandard lethal ability, since most nonstandard lethal abilities don't work right away.
For example Poison and Bombs keep us around longer.  And there might be ways to defuse either of those.  So Town has more "time" with nonstandard lethal abilities, at least from my limited reading of mafiawiki.

However, Town probably benefits more from a standard mafiakill.  We get immediate feedback at End of Night, rather than waiting to see if mafia did something "later".

GLHF! Should we mass claim to panic scum and force them to come up with a fake claim on the spot? I haven't played short games in awhile, but I imagine forcing scum to claim early could trip them up, at least in the first round.

Hm, but we don't know the setup.  I think the mass claim strategy only works when we have at least some hint to the setup.

Not voting Roden because Town Roden seems to like the mass claim.  Hell, I'm not even suspicious, I just think its bad strategy.

Jack...how serious will you be in this game?

I'll try to apply the lessons that I have learned for the good of Town.  Time permitting, since I have 2 DF playthroughs pending, and I should probably try and work for a living.  I just got time now to look at this.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2021, 10:04:28 pm »

I'll vote Vector, is Tric worth killing N1?

While cruel, voting Vector for not posting makes sense, as the failure to post is by far the most suspicious thing.

FOS on ToonyMan until I get an explanation as to why Vector and not me.

Question for Tric: Does FOS even make sense in such a small and fast setup?

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2021, 11:48:35 pm »

@Met:
Armor wouldn't work against poison.
How confident are you that mafia have poison in this game?
I have no reason to believe it, but the supposed presence of a bulletproof implies scum have a way to kill a bulletproof.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2021, 11:57:51 pm »

It was just in my role PM, not sure what you mean.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2021, 01:18:53 am »

Am exhausted, sorry folks. I forgot that this was starting this evening.

Don't like Roden's call for a massclaim, and think that doing this with the bulletproof claim is scum-sided but perhaps NaI for Roden. Also feel ambiguous about Metruption's jumping on it + claim. Leaning Metruption scum.

@Toony: As usual I struggle to read Tric. Null.

@EuchreJack: If the vote on me is so obvious, why softpedal it with "regret?" FoS.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2021, 01:25:52 am »

Vector: how suspiscious are you of Day 1 rolefishing? As in, where do you place it on the spectrum from "Highly Reliable Scumtell" to "Not Indicative of Alignment"?

At this point I see scum rolefish successfully so infrequently, and have seen games die so explosively from Town being unforgiving, that I consider it more concerning when the bulk of conversation focuses around the rolefishing/massclaiming invitation. So: D1 rolefish NaI without other evidence, directed bandwagon to rolefisher fairly reliable scumtell.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2021, 01:27:52 am »

If I had a fairly good sense that this would mean that a. we wouldn't have to LYLO with Tric and b. it was unlikely to end the game D1: yes. No LuckyOwl means that Tric has become prime PoE real estate.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2021, 01:31:54 am »

This is a good post, NJW town equity ++.

For your second point, what scum suggests to mass claim and then claims BP?

WIFOM... I don't like the points about "not wasting the town vig's time" either. Just doesn't smell right.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2021, 01:33:59 am »

Hm, but we don't know the setup.  I think the mass claim strategy only works when we have at least some hint to the setup.

Not voting Roden because Town Roden seems to like the mass claim.  Hell, I'm not even suspicious, I just think its bad strategy.

This seems specious. Overexplaining. What does Town Roden seems to like the mass claim mean

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2021, 01:54:18 am »

It was just in my role PM, not sure what you mean.
Essentially, what is your flavor for why/how you're a Commuter? This is a themed game, sort of, so we should all have a flavor wrt our role.

This is a good post, NJW town equity ++.

For your second point, what scum suggests to mass claim and then claims BP?

WIFOM... I don't like the points about "not wasting the town vig's time" either. Just doesn't smell right.
That's fair I guess, but it sounds like you already assume I'm scum.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2021, 07:55:19 am »

While cruel, voting Vector for not posting makes sense, as the failure to post is by far the most suspicious thing.

FOS on ToonyMan until I get an explanation as to why Vector and not me.

Question for Tric: Does FOS even make sense in such a small and fast setup?
What do you mean? I wasn't voting Vector for not posting, it was still the morning and I wanted their thoughts on Tric. I don't like your vote here as it's backed by false reasoning, do you agree?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 153