Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Colorless Houses - A Seaside Nightmare  (Read 8329 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: The Colorless Houses - A Seaside Nightmare
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2021, 08:23:20 am »

Howdy Fellow Dwarves!  We're going to have some !!FUN!!

PART 1 OF ??, First Half of Year 2

Let's see what we've got to work with...OH MY ARMOK!
Nah, haven't even looked yet.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Plenty of able bodies!

My predeceasor did a good job setting up farms.  We probably won't starve.

Most of the fortress is one story, for now.

Apparently, our leader has decided upon a more honorable and worthy name for themselves.  All hail Hedgerow, Coordinator of The Colorless Houses!

We have a lot of trade goods for the Elves, but most of them are wooden goblets and other woody items.  So I settle for selling the clothing of the fallen and some food.

*Drools*
MUST BUY HEDGEHOG!

...and we offend the Elves by offering prepared foods in a WOODEN barrel.  Can't win sometimes.

But watch this!

We're HAVING the Hedgehog!

I let them leave with everything else.  We don't need their shoddy wares anyways!

We breached the aquifer!

Curses!  Foul luck!  How dare they!

It was about this time I also realized we only have like 5 beds.  Time to convert some of our newly-accessable stone layer to living quarters, I think.

I decided to reintroduce Quads from my college days.  Four person individual rooms with common living area.  Except no walls to divide the bedrooms.  Cheap EJ.

Should probably also set up a hospital somewhere.

I celebrate our migrant wave by sacrificing a Water Buffalo calf.  They usually can't find enough food to survive anyways, and all those new people want to eat.

IMPORTANT: I created a lever for the bridge into our Fortress, and linked it to the bridge.
The lever's location is below:

Uh, aren't you supposed to be hidden, Mr. Necromancer?

Strange mood time, and it's the lousy Possession one.  Maybe we'll get a decent artifact, if they survive...

They claimed a Craftman's shop and want bones.  I'm hoping for some bone armor, but I smell an Artifact Totem in our future...

Probably not the most useless artifact, but can the fortress use it if it's a family heirloom?

There is a new sheriff in town!

More migrants.  Not worth the picture. Turn is halfway done, we're in the middle of the Summer. Posting what I have so far, as it will probably be more enjoyable if I break it up.

hedgerow

• Bay Watcher
  • You're Thunderclappin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2021, 08:53:19 pm »

Bury the hedgehog with the coordinator.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2021, 11:56:57 pm »

Ptw

hedgerow

• Bay Watcher
  • You're Thunderclappin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2021, 07:31:12 am »

Make sure you send the save to the next player.

First off, that's a defamatory kind of turn.

If someone is playing another turn, you should use the first file.  He didn't follow the rules, obviously.

Someone get that man a cigarette dipped in bloodwine.

I'll delete the game.  I don't have anyone to run the game.

I gotta admit, I'm pretty good at reading for someone stuck in the schizo.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 08:02:27 am by hedgerow »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2021, 12:58:16 pm »

Hedgerow, sorry about the confusion.  I thought splitting up the narrative would make it easier to understand.  Instead, it seems to have irritated you.  My apologies for that.  I'll work on completing the turn.  Below is the list of players so far, we've got a stable future to this fortress.

The players are:
hedgerow
EuchreJack - [IN PROGRESS]
fatcat__25
StrikaAmaru

As you see, I think we can still keep going. fatcat__25 is on deck, followed by StrikaAmaru.

Since the rules have been deleted, nobody can prove that I'm delinquent in completing my turn.  But I'll work on it promptly.

As you see above, I'm half done with my turn, and I can upload a save when I'm completed.

@Hedgerow: Would you like me to start a new topic? Then you would be free from all responsibility.  Otherwise, I'll post here. No trying to usurp, just offering to carry the load.

Going to strive for turn completion later today.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2021, 02:18:37 pm »

We can keep going if you want. I have no clue what just happened. A new topic might be in order, though, if Hedgerow doesn't want to run the organizing anymore.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 02:22:48 pm by fatcat__25 »
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2021, 04:17:55 pm »

We can keep going if you want. I have no clue what just happened. A new topic might be in order, though, if Hedgerow doesn't want to run the organizing anymore.

Glad to see you're still interested!

Sneak peak: With the stone layers being mostly Dolomite and Quartzite, it looks like "The Colorless Houses" is a fitting name indeed!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2021, 09:57:26 pm »

And now, for the thrilling Part 2 of The Year of The Jack!
Save File for end of year at bottom of the page.

Thoughts:
1) Hedgerow requested that the Coordinator be buried with the Hedgehog.  So we need a Tomb for their eventual demise.
2) We have abundant Dolomite and Quartzite, perfect building materials for Colorless Houses.
Building a few on the surface would be quite fitting.
3) Best to build a Hospital before we need it.
4) More/better rooms would be nice.  Below the surface for now, maybe above later on?
5) I'd like to breach the Cavern. I always like to breach the Cavern.

Aquifer water is fresh water, from what I can tell, so a well and placing the hospital nearby would be optimal.

Now let's see if I follow through with any of that, or go off into a completely different direction!

Folks, we got Lead!  More exciting, we have Silver, so we can make at least some weapons!

Found a bunch of starved animals.  Told you so.  Should probably just butcher those still alive.  But the only survivors are either pets, or the Stray Goat Kid I'd like to keep for breeding with the Nanny Goat Pet.

And then the Stray Goat Kid was found dead.  Not sure how to feed animals in this biome.  All the grass is dead.  At least the dwarves seem capable of feeding their pets.

The Dwarven Caravan Arrives!  Just in time, we really could use more Seeds.  Hedgerow did a good job setting up the farms, but I might have cooked all the seeds in a panic.

This is embarrassing.  I had a craftdwarf shop set up to make stone crafts, but it appears among our 40+ dwarves, none of them are set to stonecrafting.  Or they had more important things to do.  Sigh, I guess I'll see if I can get some stuff from a couple of those masterwork prepared meals...

I've put in a request for Billy goats, Pig Tail Sheets, Pig Tail Seeds, and Tetrahedrite Stones, all at low priority.

Included below is the Trade Agreement for goods to export.

Looks like Rings are our winner!

As for what we have, Food is a clear favorite of our homeland.  Our exotic Seafood is undoubtably quite popular back home.

So I traded two Prepared Meat barrels for bars of weapon-grade metal, a couple ropes, three instruments, a couple copper weapons, an iron cap, a set of bismuth bronze gauntlets, pig tail and cave wheat seeds, quicklime, three of the cheaper leather bins, 25 copper bolts, various food (including Hedgehog meat), plump helmets, some berries, pigtail thread, and a partchment sheet.

And the latest attempt from the Mountain Homes to destroy us: Migrants have arrived.

Attention migrants: Know that I hate each and every one of you. 
If it wasn't nearing the end of my turn, I'd come up with some way to start killing them off.

I was going to start making some surface houses with stone, but we have so much wood on the surface, I'm probably just going to make a few wood houses instead.

So the migrants bought some animals to die.  Might as well slaugther them for the meat and leather...

I made sure to shear the Alpaca before slaughtering it.  Wish I could figure out how to keep it, oh well.

So the Peasant that I told to start with the crafting stone finally got their credentials as a Stonecrafter.  Congrats!  Now get back to work!

I created a general-purpose Temple underground, grabbing the altar from the main floor.  Suddenly the dwarves rushed into the room, before I had even got instruments into the place.

I'd pray a lot too if I was one of the dwarves in dwarf fortress mode...

Also fiddled around with the military for a bit.  Kept Hedgrow's theme of axes, but changed my axedwarves to people actually capable of using them.  Set the remander to Weapon Only, invidual choice melee weapon.  We certainly have a decent number of dwarves with at least some weapon skills.  Noticing a trend of everyone being "Competent".  Hm, not a lot of wars in the homeland these days, eh?

And the fortress elects its first Mayor!

Why am I not surprised to see the Necromancer elected?

And our new Mayor starts getting all uppity.  I'm "building" your rooms as quickly as I can.

At least it's earrings and not rings that are banned for export.

Hm, our Sheriff is gone, and the Captain of the Guard is vacant.  While I could use this to solve our Mayor's housing situation, I'd forget who was our Justice Enforcer Candidate, so I'll instead promote the former Sheriff to Captain of the Guard. I gave the recently-bought armor to the new Captain, along with the Chainmail that I made with the two bars of Bithmus Bronze.

A Miner undergoes a Strange Mood!  Withdrawing from society, I'm hoping for Good Things!

A Grate Artifact!

Plus we've now got a legendary Mason...Miner, even better!

Hm, someone went missing.

So I decided to clean up the water in middle of our Fortress entryway by mining the ice, and found our dead Planter, froze to death.

Spring has arrived, and I bid you ado!

And the Save File Here

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2021, 12:05:17 am »

Looks good. I'll see what I can do. I'm in the middle of a busy period, but if I can't play this week, I'll make up for lost time next week.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2021, 01:51:21 am »

Breaching the caverns results in growing of moss in the fortress, which might be the answer to the animal starvation problem, though I am not sure about it working in 'The Colorless Houses', but it might.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2021, 02:24:21 am »

At least the dwarves seem capable of feeding their pets.

[...]

I made sure to shear the Alpaca before slaughtering it.  Wish I could figure out how to keep it, oh well.

I believe if there's a dwarf who likes alpacas, you can offer the alpaca for adoption and they'll bond the next time they meet. Then the dwarf will regularly feed the alpaca vegetables from the farms. Can't slaughter pets, but shearing and milking is fair game.

Let me check if there are any in the Houses right now...

There are three cow-friends: Cerol Mistêmalak, Kel Istamber, and Kol Alåthrìthar;
There are three goaties: Aban Logemamem, Kel Idmâtzang, and Moldath Konoszim;
There are two horse-girls: Hedgerow, and Etur Erushudib;
There are two alpaca-adorers: Dakost Otileral, and Vutok Dasëlstinthäd;
There are two llama-fans: Lolor Sashaserib, and Tulon Såkzulastesh;
There are one yak-enjoyer: Udib Oshurducim;

All of these people will promise to keep the afforementioned animals alive if you give them enough free time, and if you promise not to butcher the animals.

Honorable mention: The same Kel Istamber mentioned earlier, the chief medical, also "likes nightmares for their unfathomably horrifying nature". I have no idea what this means but it can't be good.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 02:26:09 am by Mobbstar »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2021, 04:40:24 pm »

Honorable mention: The same Kel Istamber mentioned earlier, the chief medical, also "likes nightmares for their unfathomably horrifying nature". I have no idea what this means but it can't be good.

It just means they voted for our illustrious Mayor...

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2021, 08:46:16 pm »

Finally picking the game up. It might be wise to repost the rules somewhere.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2021, 10:00:39 pm »

Finally picking the game up. It might be wise to repost the rules somewhere.

There are no rules!  :D

Ideally, the turn would be in completed in 14 days, although I didn't follow that one.  It's what broke Hedgerow.  Er, maybe 21 days?  ;D
Hedgerow and I used the Lonesome 20x20 tileset, but it was optional before Hedgerow's turn.

I will add the following rule: If anything happens to the Tame Hedgehog, you have to report on it.  I don't care if you butcher and eat it, keep it as a pet, put it in a Tome with Coordinator Hedgerow then drop the ceiling on them both, or anything else, you have to tell us what happens to it.  You should also prioritize acquiring more.
Breaking this rule will in no way break me, however.

Should we have a new topic?

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2021, 10:54:51 pm »

Yes, we should have a new topic. I'll keep the hedgehog in mind. I'm using the vanilla tileset, because I don't want to confuse myself. I will attempt to keep in a floating 14 day deadline, but being flexible will be a help.
Pages: 1 [2] 3