Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shield User skill not increasing?  (Read 1607 times)

Leviathan7

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Shield User skill not increasing?
« on: July 11, 2021, 04:31:43 pm »

So i'm trying to level my Shield User, starting at Novice. I noticed it didn't increase by even a sliver after passively blocking about six attacks, so I thought i'd actively train it for a bit.
I checked the wiki, which says "Another option is to beat an (preferably weak) opponent up with your shield."

I proceeded to beat two disarmed roaming bandits to death with my bronze shield. I probably hit them with it like fifty times total.
The skill didn't increase at all. I don't know what else to do to increase it. I don't really like the idea of using DFhack or other mods to increase it if the game isn't doing what it's supposed to, but I will if I have to.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shield User skill not increasing?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 04:48:21 pm »

Well, the wiki says here that Misc Object User is used when attacking with a shield. And here it says "both misc object user and armor user skills."

It can take more than just half a dozen times to see any change in the skill level bar. (You could use DFHack to check the number the game uses to track it.)

Also, what kind of creature are you using? (Some strange creatures may not be able to learn.)
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Leviathan7

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 05:02:37 pm »

Ahhh okay. I think you're right. My Misc Object User skill has gone up almost halfway into dabbling, and i've never performed any actions with misc objects that I can think of. I've only done some knapping and throwing stones, and moving furniture around.
It's unfortunate that the wiki page http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/40d:Adventurer_mode#Armor_and_Shield_Use under "Armor and Shield Use" is very suggestive that shield bashing levels Shield User/Object User (or rather, does not clarify that it may only level Armor User, and NOT Shield User. Which is quite silly imo).

I will try the dual shield vs a weak, punching enemy for a while and see if there is progress that way :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 05:18:51 pm by Leviathan7 »

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 05:18:30 pm »

So that page you linked is for a very old (2008) version of the game. There's box at the top of every wiki page that says which version it applies to and has links to other versions. This is the latest version of that page which is rather different and does not say anything about which skills attacking with a shield uses.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Leviathan7

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 05:32:59 pm »

Oh nuts, I didn't notice the old version warning. The wiki information is so varied and sprawling! I get caught up hunting for so many specific things that I sometimes forget to check the dates. I should also stop using google when looking up things for this game.