Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Long Description of An Adventurer Party Loyalty Cascade?  (Read 1647 times)

Ihtomyt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Long Description of An Adventurer Party Loyalty Cascade?
« on: July 11, 2021, 09:31:16 pm »

I made a new world and a full 5 adventurer party, and using multiple adventurers is not something I've tried before. All demigods, but I gave them civilian skills, and only cheesed their abilities to just "slightly" overpowered, not legendary +5 everything. The pickings in the fort were very slim for armor and weapons, only 2 steel items, about as many iron... almost all copper stuff.  No other fort for weeks of travel around. I intended to have these guys settle down after doing some heroics, build a fortress, and then have them join the militia there, to see how turning them into legendary craftsmen after retirement would go. One was immediately made a "Holy Cave" of his religion. Another would become mayor of a hillocks at some point without even trying.

Yet, since no one anywhere knew of any places whatsoever that weren't weeks of travel away (if at all) to do any heroic deeds, the only option was to make for the goblin pits for a spot of mass murder. After massacring 3 pits worth (looked in legends later, and I missed maybe 14 goblins all told out of a few hundred, along with all the dogs and trolls), the party found themselves pursued by patrols of armed goblins. The dwarves hadn't sustained any major injuries, just a few minor disfigurements (which were done by night-ambushing dingo packs, not the goblins) and some bruises. The patrols also barely gave our adventurers some bruised elbows, and our adventurers killed at least 50 armed goblins and many of their animals in open combat in the plains, despite being ambushed a few times.

Though not injured, the party suffered a loss... one of our troop vanished in the fray. The others searched for him in vain, but he seemed to have disappeared into the terrain. After a fruitless search, they decided to head back to dwarven lands. After waiting for a few weeks (retire and unretire) the lost companion seemed to have made his way back home at last, and all 5 were together again. Yet, there was something... odd about him. He was actually still the mayor of the hillocks, but he was saying some pretty odd things about our hero's deeds in the pits. He claimed that the killings were murderous and unjust. Still, the bloodlust of the party was such that they had forgotten about their plans to settle down in a frontier fortress, and headed back to the pits for more.

Halfway through the first battle with another patrol, still on alert after weeks of the party's absence, the traitor turned upon his friends. The goblins were no match for the dwarven heroes, but the traitor suddenly badly injured two of our number before being put down himself. Somehow many goblins also died in that battle, but it was no use at last due to the treachery. While fleeing, the injured two suffocated, paralyzed at last by complications of their injuries. And now two remained. With nothing but revenge in mind, they still sought more goblins to slay... yet, it would seem that one could not overlook the other having slain the traitorous mayor, even though it was self defense, and turned upon his only remaining comrade in mid battle. Both were slain in amidst a pile of broken goblin flesh on the Plains of Spattering, ending the adventure.

Perhaps it was all the goblin children being dismembered in the pits that had gotten to the mayor, his feelings of abandonment when lost in exile, or perhaps none can ever truly know what mystery and murder lingers in the hearts of dwarves--the true monsters of the realm.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
Re: A Long Description of An Adventurer Party Loyalty Cascade?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 09:18:54 pm »

No, it was just traitor taking party by surprise efficiently. Loyalty cascade works as domino effect in event of having multiple members of same side doing something condemned.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.