Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Starting Character Skill Ratios  (Read 3306 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Starting Character Skill Ratios
« on: February 26, 2008, 03:55:00 pm »

I've been trying adventurer mode two or three times a day lately, and he is always killed by the first semimegabeast he fights.  Is there a recommended skill ratio for Weapon/Armor/Shield I should use?  I usually go Adept or Expert weapon, and Competent Armor/Shield.
Shoes...

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Character Skill Ratios
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 04:00:00 pm »

If I recall correctly, Wrestling affects your chance to dodge an attack. Without it, your chances are: the attack being prevented by your armor, or your shield.

However, I may be wrong. I could of sworn that this is how it worked in the last 2D version.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 04:55:00 pm »

I usually forego armor, and have Talented Weapon, Talented Shield, and Novice Swimmer. Uses up all points and perfectly playable. The shield provides ample defence, I was once incapacitated (leg and sword arm broken), and a cyclops was standing over me and trying to bash my skull in, and I held him at bay for some 50ish turns with just a shield. The damn bugger succeeded eventually, though, 'cause I couldn't harm him.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 05:04:00 pm »

I've been trying all sword lately, it's not very good, I can get a few but the first archer kills me, even with a massive ranged weapon nerf.
Shoes...

Romantic Warrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 05:35:00 pm »

I've found wrestling a useful skill for all my characters but it's too easy to train. I wouldn't put points in it. Attack a wolf until it passes out, then strangle it. Repeat over and over again.
Dwarf Fortress and the Abstract Truth.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 07:05:00 pm »

One adventurer I just had jumped out of the way of an arrow, and he had a fairly good skill in wrestling. (Sadly; the second and third arrows did not miss!)

Anfold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 07:12:00 pm »

I use the same set up as the OP.  Maybe you should try starting from a larger civilization, as you tend to get better gear, like a two-handed longsword (and yes, you can still use a shield with it.)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 07:14:00 pm »

Ohh, the starting location determines the quality of your equipment? I've been playing a lot of Pocket Worlds and none of my equipment is improved in any way.

Anfold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 07:21:00 pm »

That seems to be the case anyway.  If you are doing a pocket world, try to sneak up on a goblin guard at their tower, they seem to carry them occasionally (beware of archers, as all it takes is one.)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 07:31:00 pm »

My greatest successes (*multiple* successful quests -- an hour or two of cautious play before they died!) have been as accomplished sword or axeman, with no other skills.  If you get attacked by something weak, you can train armor and shield by just letting them attack you.  Unless you get very unlucky, they won't actually hurt you.

Just beware of carp.

Romantic Warrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 09:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>Just beware of carp.</STRONG>

ALWAYS beware of carp. But even more so if you can't swim. I lost my second most successful adventurer that way.

Dwarf Fortress and the Abstract Truth.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 03:53:00 pm »

I actually had a guy last three days back when there were teammates.  He got hit in the head by an Archer, and I was so pissed.
Shoes...

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 03:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Muffles:
<STRONG>I actually had a guy last three days back when there were teammates.  He got hit in the head by an Archer, and I was so pissed.</STRONG>

My latest adventurer got shot in the head, passed out, AND LIVED!

Later on though, he got speared in the head, passed out, and died.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 08:24:00 pm »

I was once slautering my way through a town because the mayor annoyed me (his quest to a snakeman-infested cave had led to the deaths of more odventuers than people in the town). My adventurer for this had full points into axe-skill and was wearing nothing but a loincloth.

While I was making my way into a house I got shot in the back of the head but carried on fighting. In one of the houses a child grabbed me by the arrow and proceeded to bruise my arm... and until I went into the pub that bruise was the only damage done to me in close combat. In the pub I threw a stolen whip at the mayor and shredded his face, but the drunks pounced me and by the time I escaped I had broken legs, broken arms, messed up face and one of the drunks had stolen my loincloth. Then a passing guard stabbed me in the foot and twisted his spear until I bled to death and took all the credit for the kill.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 12:20:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Bricktop:
<STRONG>I was once slautering my way through a town because the mayor annoyed me (his quest to a snakeman-infested cave had led to the deaths of more odventuers than people in the town). My adventurer for this had full points into axe-skill and was wearing nothing but a loincloth.

While I was making my way into a house I got shot in the back of the head but carried on fighting. In one of the houses a child grabbed me by the arrow and proceeded to bruise my arm... and until I went into the pub that bruise was the only damage done to me in close combat. In the pub I threw a stolen whip at the mayor and shredded his face, but the drunks pounced me and by the time I escaped I had broken legs, broken arms, messed up face and one of the drunks had stolen my loincloth. Then a passing guard stabbed me in the foot and twisted his spear until I bled to death and took all the credit for the kill.</STRONG>

What really amused me is I read

I went into the pub that bruise was the only damage done to me in close combat

as

I went into the pub that bruise was the only damage done to me.

So it produced the impression on me that you really didn't consider being shot in the back of the head as a serious injury (What purpose does it serve an adventurer anywas?   :D )

I was kind of expecting the child to pull the arrow out of your head and for you to anti-climactically die bleeding  to death while the drunk tries to wrestle you.

Pages: [1] 2