Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unferat: I Require More Shrooms  (Read 3765 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Unferat: I Require More Shrooms
« on: July 17, 2021, 02:59:21 am »

Unferat is, by its own description, a "Warlock simulator". You play the role of a young man working under his father, a librarian and scholar in a small coastal town. The local miners uncover a strange scrap of metal, and after some examination and research your father manages to work out that this is in fact an ancient and terribly powerful artifact; the dagger "Unferat".

However, word spreads quickly in small communities like this, and your father quickly comes under scrutiny by the church. Not trusting the militant order to adequately respect the power held within the blade, your father resists handing it over to the anointed thugs and for his defiance is struck down on the spot. In his last moments he sends you away with the unholy artifact, and through its awakening power manage to escape the violence, eventually landing upon and laying claim to the abandoned lighthouse which was said to have once been inhabited by a powerful warlock in ages past. Frightened and enraged, you curse the township for selling your father out to the church and plot your revenge...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And it's at this point that the game really starts! How shall you go about taking that revenge, exactly? With Unferat gathering strength and binding itself to you, and the old warlock's ramshackle facilities available, you have several options at your disposal.

The game is predominantly split into two main mechanisms: Spellcasting and alchemy. Spellcasting is performed by bringing up a three-tiered wheel of arcane phrases, and then correctly selecting the appropriate words of power in order to align the wheel. The very first spell you learn, for shapechanging into a crow (and back into a human when you're done), is a succession of the words "Vita", "Orma", and "Atur" (and by this point I've heard that chanted enough times to recite it from memory). Failure here doesn't really mean a whole lot other than having to try again, but time doesn't stop when you're chanting and you can't move while focusing on the wheel, so you have to be careful about it. With rare exception, spells require you to have the appropriate spellcasting reagent available in your inventory, which will be consumed as a focus point for the spell's energies.

Alchemy requires a large brewing cauldron, of which there are two in the game. Luckily, you just happen to be the proud owner of one of those! Inserting the proper ingredients into the cauldron interface along with cauldron commands such as "Heat", "Mix" and "Filter in the correct order will allow you to brew potions and transmute materials into other states. Now, this bit is somewhat finicky, as failure here means not only that you lose all the ingredients put into the cauldron, but you also end up *damaging* the cauldron and will need to repair it using somewhat rare lumps of iron ore.

How sensitive is it to incorrect order? The recipe "Rat tail + Ungus + Mix" will infuse the rat tail with pestilent energies, meaning that when used in the appropriate summoning spell it will call forth enhanced plague rats that can poison your opponents, rather than weaker mundane rats. However, inserting "Ungus + Rat tail + Mix" will result in losing both ingredients and putting a sizeable dent in your cooking apparatus. This could probably do with some tweaking, in my opinion, but the gist of the matter is: Be careful and pay attention

And, really, that's more or less the main philosophy of the game. Be careful. Pay attention. Plan ahead. As a warlock, you have some very powerful energies at your disposal, but they're generally not great at helping you out of a sudden bind. Spy on the villagers, make note of their routines, prepare potions and enchantments ahead of time, and pick your battles.

It's a very slow-paced game, as there's generally a great deal of waiting involved. Also a lot of busywork running around and harvesting the specific herbs you need to enact your plan. And your little human legs move you sooooo sloooooowly... Crow form is generally the best way of getting around, but you need to either manage your crow feather usage carefully or invest enough skill points into the spell that you don't need them anymore.

Speaking of skill points: Skills! Through the death of named characters and a couple other means (sacrificing to old gods, conducting dark research, eating berries etc.), you earn skill points which can be invested into any of the four main schools of ability: Necromancy, Witchcraft, Alchemy, and Demonology. Each school has 6 skills to pick from, and three levels of mastery in each.

Necromancy is, of course, mainly about summoning various types of minions who will heed your command and can either follow you around or be set up to guard important locations. These vary from skeletons conjured from alchemically-treated bones, zombies raised directly from fresh corpses, and giant hulking monstrosities patched together from large amounts of various remains (and taking on different statistics depending on which components get used and in what amounts).

Witchcraft is mostly about transformation and utility. You start the game with one point in the crow spell, and there's also a book right in the tower that gives you a free point in Rat Master so you can summon a few rats by expending a rat's tail as a component. Other abilities include: Changing trees into giant evil flytraps, short-range teleportation, and turning into Sauron's war form.

Alchemy is, well... Alchemy. It's all about creating and improving various types of consumables, from healing potions to poisons, to lumps of chalk that you can inscribe deadly traps with. Potentially very powerful, but it can get rather expensive as far as herbs go and you need to use the concoctions carefully to get the best effect. That said, those rune traps have saved my bacon on a few occasions.

Demonology is a quirky one, and what I mostly focused on during my first run. Demonology is based around opening demonic portals, which do not require reagents but do take some of the warlock's current health in order to open and will close again if he ventures too far away (roughly a screen's length). With a portal, you can transmute certain items into cursed versions that are used in infernal spells, or sacrifice materials in order to summon forth fiendish allies. Demonology takes a lot of waiting and planning ahead in order to get to work, and it doesn't *really* come online until midway into the game when you have enough skill points to invest at least three into the school... But once it opens up, you have access to the strongest defensive emplacements/roadblocks in the game.

Now, I say "roadblock"... This is because it can occasionally be desirable to stop up a road and block anyone from traveling past that checkpoint. Not just in order to catch named targets that are patrolling the roads or to harvest some poor peasants for their juicy flesh and bones, but also because the game features a logistics system for the village itself.

The villagers aren't just meandering around aimlessly; the farmers are actually collecting food, the woodcutters are actually gathering lumber, and the herbalists are actually high off their asses on mushrooms that rightfully belong to you! They then venture back to the village in order to drop off their harvests in the square, where they get cooked, forged, or distilled into resources that benefit the townspeople and confer statistical advantages to them.

Plonking down an ambush at the mine doesn't just kill off those annoying miners, it also prevents the town from getting more iron ore. Without ore, the smith can't create new equipment. Without equipment, the village watchmen can't have their armor and weapons enhanced to become far deadlier than they otherwise would be.

Now, this is all very interesting in theory... But the issue is that, first of all, you cannot feasibly prevent certain resources from being harvested/utilized. Even if you *did* dedicate your entire day to hunting down the herbalists (they, unlike other professions, will just scatter and go frickin' everywhere), by the time you have the capacity to reliably kill them like that the village will already have an herb stockpile in the thousands that can be converted into scores upon scores of healing potions for the townsfolk to use. It'd be better to just kill off the healer himself, who has a much more reliable schedule and tends to spend a lot of time by himself in the back end of the village. But even then, due to respawns you'd have to dedicate a portion of just about every day in order to kill off each replacement as they come through, and that can get pretty expensive for you.

In addition to all that... Any death, whether it's a named target or some hapless villager, goes towards the kill count. The kill count is effectively the game's progression, and will unlock new named targets, new routines for the townsfolk, and other special events. Supposedly, this is meant to be a measure of how much influence you've pushed on the surrounding area, making it safer and more profitable for you.

This is a lie. There are exactly two milestones that I could list as being predominantly beneficial to you, and they both come with caveats. Outside of that there are things like increasing the number and quality of guards around the village, setting up patrols to scout the roads day and night, secret order assassins plonking down next to trees and camping there until you show up so they can snipe you, high-powered hero bands that rove the countryside, and angry torch-and-pitchfork mobs that assemble to try and knock over your tower themselves.

It's a niche little game, and while there's some definite room for improvement (beyond the aforementioned hiccups with supply and whatnot, the UI is... Not great. Almost as bad as the character controls), it's a compelling little title that has some absolutely fantastic potential to it.

The dev is Russian, as are most of the posts in the Steam forum, and with as little attention this game has received so far there aren't a lot of useful English-language resources for it. I'm trying to collect enough screenshots from my current playthrough to put together a map of all the Tricea berries (there are 30 in total, eating 15 will grant you a bonus skill point), but I'm honestly a teensy bit burned out after just having finished my first run in a pretty marathon gaming session...

I think this thing has some serious future to it!  The dev is still quite active (pushed out a new update just yesterday), so even though he's being modest and trying to not promise anything grandiose I do believe that there are improvements and expansions in store. With any luck, the rougher edges of this title can get rounded off and we'll have a very nice little gem on our hands.

If anyone does decide to give this thing a go, I'd be happy to try and assist with what experience I've managed to accrue thus far. There are a bunch of little tips and tricks that can make life for an aspiring dark sorcerer easier, and frankly... We need all the help we can get.

Until then, keep calm and Char Orma Reda

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Unferat: I Require More Shrooms
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 08:40:27 am »

The price is certainly right, and it doesn't take up a lot of space either.

Makes sense that the best strategy is to build up your forces in the dark rather than letting the villagers adapt.

Purchased and playing.  I commend the game's creator, I was afraid I was walking into a long a$$ tutorial, but it was actually quite short.  And the dialog of the villagers has me read to kill them, they're all (except maybe the blacksmith) colossal dicks.  Here I was afraid that I might actually sympathize with them!

Since I was going the Necromancer route anyways, I found this guide to be quite helpful.

Have you found any use for armor pieces yet?

Also, I swear that my kill count is going up without me doing anything.  I murdered like one person, have 3 dead.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 01:43:57 pm »

Being intrigued, I decided to watch 30 mins of the game on YouTube. Since this is an indie game though, I didn’t have many options for who is doing let’s plays. The guy I picked spent the first 15 minutes whining about the tutorial because he wasn’t “being evil” in the first 5 mins of the game, and proceeded to skip though dialogs then be confused about what he needed to do.

No actual comment on the game, but man, are some youtubers whiny impatient bastards with the attention span of a gold fish.

Will probably check this out at length later.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 03:07:14 pm »

Just an FYI, it seems kinda short.  I figure that I'm about halfway through my play-through, and I've put in 5 hours.  The diversity comes in playing different starts I imagine.

I think I've killed all the outlying named people, so I need to start planning to assassinate deeper in the village.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 03:11:05 pm »

Have you found any use for armor pieces yet?

Also, I swear that my kill count is going up without me doing anything.  I murdered like one person, have 3 dead.

Armor pieces can be used (holding the item and then left-clicking on the critter you want to armor) on certain minions, such as skeletons/demons, in order to slightly change their appearance and--presumably--buff their armor and maybe also damage. It'll give them the "Equipment Improved" status effect when mousing over them at least.

Curiously, it's also possible to click on *yourself* once with the armor piece, which will go through the motions of applying it and will indeed remove that chunk, but... No idea if it has any practical effects on your stats.

Additionally, two armor pieces + Heat + Heat will grant you an iron ore. Generally wouldn't recommend this though, unless you don't use anything that could benefit from extra armor.

It's entirely possible that you aren't involved with those extra kill counters, I think it just counts every villager death on the map, regardless of whether you killed them or a wolf/bandit did. Also there's a secret skill point you can get that doesn't involve killing anyone, but I think still counts as a death for... some reason.

Being intrigued, I decided to watch 30 mins of the game on YouTube. Since this is an indie game though, I didn’t have many options for who is doing let’s plays. The guy I picked spent the first 15 minutes whining about the tutorial because he wasn’t “being evil” in the first 5 mins of the game, and proceeded to skip though dialogs then be confused about what he needed to do.

Hah, I'm pretty sure I know the video you're referring to :P Yeah, whiny little git that one... And hilariously, he completely disregarded and ignored the point that EuchreJack brought up, which is that he really really wanted to kill those asshole villagers now.

Not just that, but the fight with Modo also goes to show how weak and ineffectual you are as a mundane human, and how it's your magic and minions that will carry the day.

Speaking of... If you want to hunt down raw meat and rat tails, it becomes MASSIVELY easier if you invest a point into the Enchantment skill. Getting that extra range on your attack is incredibly helpful, and the extra damage+stun doesn't hurt either. Additionally, the Sulphurata from the Demonology school is quite good at teleporting behind wildlife and giving them a good stabbing, but she'll only target them if you get a whack off on them first.

However, be aware that there is a very limited number of skillpoints in the game. To the point where if you want to max out a school (which I'm fairly certain is what's required for getting the "Mastery" achievements), you can only afford 2-3 points in a different school over the course of the entire game. And as I can verify, having a very broad selection of skills rather than a few specialized and synergized ones will bite you in the butt during the lategame.

On that note... Try to invest in skills that utilize different resources. Algant and Ungus in particular have a lot of very good skills that use them, but you absolutely will not have enough for all of them. And while there are several skills that use human flesh/ptomaine, finding a good use for bones is generally a bit trickier. And there will be a lot of bones (if anyone hasn't noticed yet, so long as there's a gravekeeper alive, he'll refill 3-4 graves per day that you can come back to raid in peace at night).

I think I've killed all the outlying named people, so I need to start planning to assassinate deeper in the village.

Ahh yes, and those are the tricky ones... Especially since they become even trickier the farther you've progressed in the game. Brend the Superintendant is my nightmare, and so I try to make a point of killing him off early so that the bastard can't entrench himself in so well :P As a plus, nobody ever fills his position again so far as I can tell, so it opens up that cauldron for poisoning efforts.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 05:42:00 pm »

Picked it up, seems interesting. Definitely an unusual take on being the bad guy. And you might not even be the bad guy here.

Is there a way to heal minions? Put my first two skill points into Demon Gate and Sulphurata, and took her to assault the mine. Killed the named guy there, plus several miners and a couple hunters, but the last hunter managed to kill her as he died. On traveling back home, I was attacked by a Hand and had to summon another Sulphurata to kill him. She survived, but she has about 1/3 of her health left.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 06:09:18 pm »

Picked it up, seems interesting. Definitely an unusual take on being the bad guy. And you might not even be the bad guy here.

Oh, you're TOTALLY the bad guy.  Your own father told you to DESTROY the dagger.  Instead, you use it to seek revenge on the villagers.  You're totally gonna grow up to be a real evil bastard.  But I'm sure the last Evil Warlock started out in a similar way, so its the circle of life death.

finding a good use for bones is generally a bit trickier.

I'm a Necromancer, so I'm probably ok on that front.  Bone Golem if nothing else is a good dump for bones.  Don't even bother sunscreening or increasing the level if you'd rather spend the skill points elsewhere.

Also, Spice is used to upgrade meals.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 02:48:31 am »

You don't actually need a point in Demon Gate in order to call it up, it just makes it slightly cheaper. If you're going to be using imps though, two levels of Gate are necessary. And imps are indeed pretty snazzy.

No way of healing minions that I'm aware of, which is odd because there *is* a part of the game where you heal something other than yourself, so it's odd that it wouldn't let you do the same thing for your own dudes.

Yeah, while you're definitely not the good guy in this situation, you're... Understandable, sort of. And then things just kinda keep spiraling out of control and building up even more. Which is honestly really clever storytelling for such a little game!

And yeah, goliaths are an awesome bone drain. I ended up grabbing a point in them during my main playthrough for pretty much that purpose, which... Probably wasn't my smartest move, being honest. Runic chalk is also nice as there's generally a lot of mud pepper lying around, but it sorta trails off in usefulness if you don't upgrade it. And again, there'll never be as many mud pepper plants as there are bones to pick.

Speaking of... Runic chalk lasts for 10 (real) minutes, an in-game day is 24 minutes split evenly into night and day halves. Just in case folks wanted to work out that timing. Personally I feel like chalk duration could be bumped up a little bit, but that's me. Do note that there's nothing stopping you from laying down multiple traps on the same pixel of earth, causing a sequence of blasts to all go off at once.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2021, 10:53:08 pm »

I think I'm going to have to progress the story, because I'm pretty sure I've ran out of named characters to kill.

Hopefully, I'll be able to pull off Master Necromancer with my playthough.  I put 2 points into Demonology, otherwise everything into Necromancy.

Note, there are difficulty settings.  I've been playing on Middle difficulty.

Strongly suspect Master Alchemist would be the hardest of the Masteries to get.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 02:48:15 am »

I think I'm going to have to progress the story, because I'm pretty sure I've ran out of named characters to kill.

Hopefully, I'll be able to pull off Master Necromancer with my playthough.  I put 2 points into Demonology, otherwise everything into Necromancy.

Note, there are difficulty settings.  I've been playing on Middle difficulty.

Strongly suspect Master Alchemist would be the hardest of the Masteries to get.

Yeah, several new named characters show up over the course of progression. Just gotta go out there and kill some hapless bystanders!

The various difficulty settings were actually just added in the update a couple days ago, before that there was only the one. Middle is supposedly identical to how it was before (despite there being a listed Steam achievement that required hard difficulty, which didn't exist yet)

Yeah, I imagine alchemy would be a tricky one... It's important to remember though that poison stacks, so you can just rapid-throw a bunch of plague flasks on a group of people and overload them with poison. The problem ends up being health potions, but there's technically sorta a way around that too... You'll have powerful rune chalk that you can just keep assassinating the healer with. Demonology would also have a very tricky start, as you kinda need a heavy point investment in it before it really starts taking off... But once you've got those points placed, it's pretty dang powerful.

I'm curious about Witchcraft, honestly. That one at least has a couple extra points you can use elsewhere due to the freebies you get early on, but trees are tricky to use effectively and rats will kinda always be rats. I've never tried the ghost armor so can't speak to how powerful it is, but... I don't have huge hopes. Still though, it means you get all three points of crow form, and honestly that's just such a freeing experience that it's difficult to go back to the standard.

Curiously, rather than a specific minion spell, I'd kinda miss the white plague flesh from Necromancy. That stuff is seriously powerful and combines *beautifully* with poison.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2021, 08:48:06 pm »

I actually can't justify spending 2 skill points just to avoid collecting the super-common Crow Feathers.  Sure, its kind of a pain, but just not worth it in my opinion.

Same actually for Health Potions.  Meals are practically unlimited, and you can upgrade them with spice, plus find meals + health potions lying around.  While useful, arguably not worth the skill points.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2021, 02:11:54 am »

Interesting game, I played a while and restarted because A. I killed the magic fox and B. You all made necromancy sound fun, and I totally ignored it.

So I made my first skeleton, but how do I make it follow me?  Is it just bound to where ever I summoned it?

*Nevermind: shift+click and ctrl+click and it is left click, not right click as the instructions say.

Also, in my first run I made great use of witchcraft trees:  if you plant two by the healer at night, you can lure them and a lot of other townies to their doom, it also easily took care of the bandit leader.

Does anyone know if killing the gravekeeper has an effect on the graves refilling?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 02:18:48 am by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2021, 03:17:12 am »

Hi !

I actually can't justify spending 2 skill points just to avoid collecting the super-common Crow Feathers.  Sure, its kind of a pain, but just not worth it in my opinion.

I think Crow *** also gives a nice speed boost, not just free morph. The movement speed is quite bothering me, and the controls in general are not very responsive nor precise (ie, the character easily walks to the other side of the wall when i simply click on a furniture inside the tower), but gameplay is fun and uncommon enough to forgive that.

I’m very unsure what i want to be, and i’m pretty certain i won’t play the game more than once and half, so i’m sad i cannot be everything if i spend enough time grinding stuff. The map is too small and daily actions too much similar to justify replaying the game, IMO.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2021, 06:53:25 am »

Same actually for Health Potions.  Meals are practically unlimited, and you can upgrade them with spice, plus find meals + health potions lying around.  While useful, arguably not worth the skill points.

The thing about level 3 isn't the limitation of a fairly common resource, it's that you no longer have to stock several of them in your inventory in order to get around/away effectively. I could fly out of the tower, swing down to the shore for some algant, fly over to the swamp for ungus and mud pepper, then stop off at the graveyard to harvest some flesh 'n' such before flying home. A trip that would have otherwise cost 7 feathers that I can just zip out and do whenever I feel like it, while having the entirety of my inventory available to me. Additionally, if I happen to fly over a sneaky tricea on my way somewhere, I can just pop down, snag it, and flap on my merry way again without a care.

And yeah, the +75% flight speed does make a difference as well. Part of what makes it such a terrible habit to get into, because it's so painful to not invest those points in other runs afterwards...

Does anyone know if killing the gravekeeper has an effect on the graves refilling?

Dave will be replaced by a generic "Undertaker" in short order, but I honestly haven't checked to see if they're as effective at filling graves as ol' Dave was. They definitely will do the same work though, so no worries. I tend to leave Dave alone for a bit early on so I can focus my killings on the harder nuts to crack, since Dave stays just as soft and vulnerable a target throughout the whole progression.

I’m very unsure what i want to be, and i’m pretty certain i won’t play the game more than once and half, so i’m sad i cannot be everything if i spend enough time grinding stuff. The map is too small and daily actions too much similar to justify replaying the game, IMO.

Yeah, it's the slow pace and grind that got to me when I started my second run... Looking back on all those nights spent harvesting and preparing vast amounts of ungus, algant, flesh and raw meat just to spend all of it on taking out one of a few remaining priority targets... Eeep. I started a witchcraft run only to get a couple days into it before the weight of progressing all the way back up, finding all the tricea, gathering all the bones and flesh for the unsleeping god, murdering Brend... It's a lot, man.

There should be some sort of quick start or new game+ option, I feel, to help motivate replays.

Interesting game, I played a while and restarted because A. I killed the magic fox and B. You all made necromancy sound fun, and I totally ignored it.

How did you manage to kill the fox? I infested him with parasites at one point, but even when he was running around at half health I never worked out how to deal enough damage to take him out. I just gave him some healies and left him alone.

Also, I almost completely ignored necromancy my first time through, because I'm just too much of a hipster and the game is clearly geared for a lot of necromancintg goodness... Never played with either zombros or skeletonnage!

EDIT: Speaking of inventory space, there's a usable handcart at the merchant camp along the king's passage. It's a bit slow to lug around, but it can serve as a nice custom storage space. And it keeps meat off the ground so foxes/wolves won't eat it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2021, 09:57:11 am »

EDIT: Speaking of inventory space, there's a usable handcart at the merchant camp along the king's passage. It's a bit slow to lug around, but it can serve as a nice custom storage space. And it keeps meat off the ground so foxes/wolves won't eat it.

I'd actually suggest leaving it, unless it respawns.  When you get the event
You'll want the extra carry space right there in order to haul off everything.
Pages: [1] 2