Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giant Cave Spider's Special Attack Deserves Extremely Long Cooldown  (Read 2008 times)

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile

Otherwise logically speaking they should spread their web absolutely everywhere they go outside of combat and become feared by many underground creatures.

Their low cooldown also means that it could be exploited in fortress mode to produce silk on massive scale.

I understand that this current cooldown may exist to encourage the player into using different ways of defeating opponents such as rangered weapon but it does not justify [DIFFICULTY] of 3.

I like to interpretate giant cave spiders as being able to produce web inside of their bodies for few days before making a single shot at a creature moderately smaller than them. Does that mean there should be a token in the game for a random chance of encountering creatures shooting webs to already have them in the state of random cooldown remaining?

The only bugs I forsee would occur in adventure mode where fast travel would trigger cooldowns or completely cancel them if this won't be dealt with.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

crundle_bone_earring

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Cave Spider's Special Attack Deserves Extremely Long Cooldown
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 11:57:40 am »

perhaps instead of increasing the cooldown, certain creatures could have a separate "storage" stat, that tracks how much they have of the substance. That way the spider can still rapid-fire webs, but if they do it non-stop they eventually run dry and have to grow more. Something like this would fit well with dragons, snakes, and maybe even fire imps, i feel.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 01:20:05 pm »

perhaps instead of increasing the cooldown, certain creatures could have a separate "storage" stat, that tracks how much they have of the substance. That way the spider can still rapid-fire webs, but if they do it non-stop they eventually run dry and have to grow more. Something like this would fit well with dragons, snakes, and maybe even fire imps, i feel.

+1 to this

Though i assume fire imp's fireballs may indeed be magical though, I could be wrong and there's some sort of sulphurous slits on their wrists that fire out like bombardier beetles as per a legitimate reason for the ability.

Otherwise logically speaking they should spread their web absolutely everywhere they go outside of combat and become feared by many underground creatures.

Their low cooldown also means that it could be exploited in fortress mode to produce silk on massive scale.

I understand that this current cooldown may exist to encourage the player into using different ways of defeating opponents such as rangered weapon but it does not justify [DIFFICULTY] of 3.

Though keep in mind, unlike the dragon, its more than likely not the webs that actually kill the adventurers but rather the large mandibles the GLS pushes through the poor-sap's cranium while they're held perfectly still to try and guratee a bite, which can be blocked by a simple iron helmet & bringing companion friends to micromanage your party. I dont think every DF monster should be fought alone without least comprehending the risks to going alone in adventuremode (something bogeymen gently coax people towards even if they've recently took a backseat) but i can see the frustration such a early monster as a GCS can give new players.

Its like being beaten up by your first Hovertank/Mi-Go/Jabberslythe in CDDA and other roguelikes, its certainly "doable" alone if prepared ahead of time.

Storage makes more sense to me though, with some added logic it could be added to the bodypart organ logic, as at the moment emission is only (sometimes) dependent on something arbitary like saying "it comes from the mouth" and nothing beyond that as most emissions just culminate out of thin air. Being able to butcher the web out of a giant spiders abdomen with tokens for a retrievable resource would be good, add more extracts by having a storage for their venom so we can finally have a "big animal dissector" draining off the contents, or yank the dragon's firebreath organ whole from the butchery station as a alchemical ingredient would be much appreicated.

Though i guess the simplest would be not storing things like milk in a cow's body-detail on a purely animal token based level and moving it moreso internal. No-drop, embedded lower body, milkable udders being a simple tag combo to keep things as they are.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 10:20:55 am »

Though keep in mind, unlike the dragon, its more than likely not the webs that actually kill the adventurers but rather the large mandibles the GLS pushes through the poor-sap's cranium while they're held perfectly still to try and guratee a bite, which can be blocked by a simple iron helmet & bringing companion friends to micromanage your party. I dont think every DF monster should be fought alone without least comprehending the risks to going alone in adventuremode (something bogeymen gently coax people towards even if they've recently took a backseat) but i can see the frustration such a early monster as a GCS can give new players.

GCS can web multiple units and pull off helmets.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 05:15:33 am »

This makes a lot of sense, for the spiders and snakes at least (I'm less sure about the fire imps, because their thing is likely magic, and possibly dragons too).

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2021, 02:24:41 pm »

Oh man, custom resources along with interactions that could add or remove them...the potential that would open up is tremendous!  You could pretty much write your own coded behaviors with that, because a custom resource is basically just a custom variable.

The syntax could be like this:

Code: [Select]
[RESOURCE:VENOM]
    [RESOURCE_MAX:1000]
    [RESOURCE_REGEN:1] --could also be negative, for resources that gradually drain and must be replenished with interactions

And for an interaction
    [REQUIRE_RESOURCE:VENOM:100] --resource must be at least this amount in order to use the interaction
    [MODIFY_RESOURCE:VENOM:-100] --could be positive or negative

Maybe syndromes could add or modify resources as well.
SO MUCH POTENTIAL.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 01:53:45 am »

Oh man, custom resources along with interactions that could add or remove them...the potential that would open up is tremendous!  You could pretty much write your own coded behaviors with that, because a custom resource is basically just a custom variable.

The syntax could be like this:

[RESOURCE:VENOM]
    [RESOURCE_MAX:1000]
    [RESOURCE_REGEN:1] --could also be negative, for resources that gradually drain and must be replenished with interactions

And for an interaction
    [REQUIRE_RESOURCE:VENOM:100] --resource must be at least this amount in order to use the interaction
    [MODIFY_RESOURCE:VENOM:-100] --could be positive or negative

Maybe syndromes could add or modify resources as well.
SO MUCH POTENTIAL.

Nice.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.