Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Conceptions Of Deity Interactions With Their Worshippers  (Read 1698 times)

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile

Ardent worshippers I mean. Currently ardent worshippers of death gods become necros.

AGRICULTURE
Performing prayer has a chance depending on performance quality to make nearby vegetation receive randomized bonuses to growth speed and durability. Has a randomized cooldown at pair with rolling a divine dice. Passively prevents worshipper from breaking vegetation if he doesn't have this trait already otherwise chance for growth will always be as high as if speech was masterful.

ANIMALS
[AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE] as long as you remain ardent worshipper and prayed in the last 12 hours. Creatures already having it will instead tame creatures much more easily.

ART
A deity MAY grant a slab with something of highest quality depending on it's parent sphere. In case of dance those are extremely clear instructions. In case of poetry there is no slab and instead there is a scroll. One gift like that per worshipper and per their entire existence.

BALANCE
Forces all creature's attributes to be above average (peasant), high (hero) or superior (demigod) for creature's standards but cannot be leveled up. Upon lowering faith or losing it attributes will reset to default values before worshipping and before grinding them as if creature started to exist again. Demigods are pretty much supposted to be overpowered.

BEAUTY
Worshipper appears highly attractive regardless of someone's beauty preferences. In some cases they may change someone's preferences to their own image. Makes it easier to gain spouses the higher is their LUST. In adventurer mode you can gain companions more easily this way and people will be more patient. Ardent worshipper must create a masterwork for this effect. One masterwork equals one week of effect. An artifact makes it last 6 months. Durations stack.

BIRTH
Worshipper's spouse or the worshipper become immune to miscarriage and unborned child is basically invincible. The only way to kill child is to murder mother. Worshipper's spouse or worshipper always borns randomly between 2-4 children if at the moment of impregnations one of them were an ardent worshipper. Faithful worshippers still have increased chance for multiple children but can still born just one and do not possess miscarriage immunity.

BLIGHT
Immunizes creature specifically to necrosis and makes vegetation around you forcefully receive poisoning. To prevent it from being overpowered it only happens on full moon. Very quickly becomes enemy of own civ if refuses to leave. Exile is nearly guaranteed. Capital punishment may also be tried to be landed but "convict" may escape. Weakening plants won't work on vegetation blessed by AGRICULTURE deities. Such creatures, if they still worship their deity responsible for it may try to wander around and spread the blight.

BOUNDARIES
Creature becomes capable of leaving outside the world map and may not return. If returns the result is highly random. Controlled adventurer can also have this ability and will forcefully retire upon doing this while either having [AMPHIBIOUS] or [NOBREATHE] or decent swimming skills and also is not in any way in critical condition. If done on land (if you ever get such a world) you won't need those traits. The more powerful, trained and equipped is the higher chance of returning but will never be immediately avaliable again (unless they have barely adventurous personality).

CAVERNS
All creatures who cannot spawn naturally on underground level 0 will be less hostile. Won't make [EVIL] creatures less violent. Now this token on them is no longer useless. You can even make a forgotten beast ignore you. Population members who are at least faithful (one level below ardent) worshippers of cavern deity won't count towards forgotten beast civilization members attack trigger. If forgotten beast attacks it will leave upon having only ardent worshippers left alive so it's cool to keep at least one of them. Yep, beasts still kill faithful worshippers but they have lower priority to be attacked.

CHAOS
If worshipper also has an intense need to cause trouble they will receive a slab with a spell to cause a creature without [NOEMOTION] to be enraged. Creature with 0 ANGER_PROPENSITY will also be immune. Rage will last permanently on creatures already prone to rage. If worshippers happen to accomplish a near-impossible goal of bathing world in chaos they will receive all possible interaction tokens of titans and their respective immunities (does not need intense need for causing trouble).

CHARITY
If bunch of things or a thing is given AT ONCE with high enough value a random positive dice roll effect will occur. Spawned items appear in same tile as worshipper if there is no free grasp or inventory space. Also works with donating animals. Has a cooldown. Will work even after offending a god of charity and being cursed but cooldown is increased to 2 weeks with larger amount of goods necessary for effect.

CHILDREN
All children of a worshipper receive better RNG rolls until adulthood if they go through a procedurally generated ritual. There may be sometimes no need for ritual at all depending on god.

COASTS
Receive much better RNG rolls near coasts while not being in water. Still receive slightly better rolls if you are only a faithful worshipper. Praying to a god near a coast very rarely results in a creature beaching for free food under condition that the god also has at least one sphere that would give summoned clown a specified reason to exist in mortal realm.

CONSOLATION
If worshipper is generally a non-sinful or barely sinful person a deity may directly speak to worshipper encouraging them not to give in which has a powerful stress reducing effect. Worshipper must also had consoled himself succesfully a lot of people, be stressed enough and must not be currently fighting.

COURAGE
A deity may share a recipe on a slab for a procedurally generated potion that temporarily grants [NOFEAR] token for a randomized period of time. Such potion can already be obtained by random experiments without deity intervention but there are always as many potion types as there are bravery deities. Those potions may have side effects.

CRAFTS
Depending on deity's friendly spheres creature will receive a slab with a random artifact
related to one of those friendly spheres. Said artifact will always be an artwork. Why? Because any attempt to recreate it or make a copy of it will result in maker being cursed even if they had no idea about that someone already made it. If that had to be a weapon of specified material that would mean for example that anyone who makes ANY quality adamantine axes would get cursed. This artifact can never be of divine metal or slade.

CREATION
As above but there are different spheres.

Ok, I am now too lazy to figure out more of them. You can make up your own ideas.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Conceptions Of Deity Interactions With Their Worshippers
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 04:21:19 pm »

There's interesting ideas in the following:
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 06:07:34 pm »

(Without refering to Azerty's links, so may be copying/restating things inadvertently...)

Initial additional thoughts of some of your initial items.
Ardent worshippers I mean. Currently ardent worshippers of death gods become necros.

AGRICULTURE
Performing prayer has a chance depending on performance quality to make nearby vegetation receive randomized bonuses to growth speed and durability. Has a randomized cooldown at pair with rolling a divine dice. Passively prevents worshipper from breaking vegetation if he doesn't have this trait already otherwise chance for growth will always be as high as if speech was masterful.
Could be, at a high level, even be "footsteps of flowers", (semi-)instagrowth of compatible vegetation (sporadically?) wherever they have stepped. Not trees, but otherwise harvestable of course.

BLIGHT
Immunizes creature specifically to necrosis and makes vegetation around you forcefully receive poisoning. To prevent it from being overpowered it only happens on full moon. Very quickly becomes enemy of own civ if refuses to leave. Exile is nearly guaranteed. Capital punishment may also be tried to be landed but "convict" may escape. Weakening plants won't work on vegetation blessed by AGRICULTURE deities. Such creatures, if they still worship their deity responsible for it may try to wander around and spread the blight.
Obviously I'd suggest "poisoned footsteps" as a counterpart of the above. Where paths cross/coincide might force evil-biome plants, even/especially where not usually possible?

BALANCE/CHAOS
- respectively create far less/more extreme variance in random physical (magnitude) stats, of some kind? (Either of self or of those persons/creatures encountered.) Although I'm not sure how to make this necessarily a worshipper 'bonus' of some kind, as they both should be (give or taken).

((PPE: Snipped a lot, probably not even as well formed as my above suggestions weren't. You don't want walls of text explaining why I think SPHERE_X and SPHERE_Y are directly complimentary to each other, just for the sake of it.))

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 10:51:40 pm »

(Without refering to Azerty's links, so may be copying/restating things inadvertently...)

Initial additional thoughts of some of your initial items.

AGRICULTURE
Could be, at a high level, even be "footsteps of flowers", (semi-)instagrowth of compatible vegetation (sporadically?) wherever they have stepped. Not trees, but otherwise harvestable of course.

BLIGHT
Obviously I'd suggest "poisoned footsteps" as a counterpart of the above. Where paths cross/coincide might force evil-biome plants, even/especially where not usually possible?

BALANCE/CHAOS
- respectively create far less/more extreme variance in random physical (magnitude) stats, of some kind? (Either of self or of those persons/creatures encountered.) Although I'm not sure how to make this necessarily a worshipper 'bonus' of some kind, as they both should be (give or taken).

((PPE: Snipped a lot, probably not even as well formed as my above suggestions weren't. You don't want walls of text explaining why I think SPHERE_X and SPHERE_Y are directly complimentary to each other, just for the sake of it.))

Balance causes character to be more versatile without being strongly specialized in a single purpose the player gave to them. If you give high agility with all stats average to peasant you can have super agility at peak and other combat attributes being superior. All of those will be forcefully set to above average.

Considering how overpowered are necromancers I am not afraid making certain people at least partially as dangerous for their own as titans in the world end-like scenario.

Poisoned footsteps are not a bad idea. They could be easily countered by wearing certain shoes and activated infinitely when desired.

Dwarf Fortress tends to generate tales of dread and I did not wanted AGRICULTURE worshippers to be overpowered. They do however do some job at shielding few critical strategically points from saboteurs.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.