Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Revenge is a dish best eaten without utensils.  (Read 3948 times)

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Revenge is a dish best eaten without utensils.
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 07:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Muffles:
<STRONG>Phail, goblin hit me in the spine with an arrow while I was choking his friend.  I'm going to have to nerf arrows again, this is ridiculous.</STRONG>

Aw, I know how you feel. Oftentimes I've been walking around outside a goblin fortress, slaying hordes of goblins and feeling rather mighty. Then an arrow strikes me out of nowhere, completely crippling me and leaving me on the floor, bleeding. I crawl one space, another arrow strikes me and I'm dead.

quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>No, I want my own personal stalker!    ;)</STRONG>

Wow. Really? I suppose that is a little creepy, but I don't mind. Just as long as I don't scare you.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 07:46:00 pm »

I love the instakills, where you don't even know what happened.  Said Goblin Axe Lord from the OP attacked me, and it looked like he was painting the ground, took off every limb before finally killing me, but I was stunned, so there was no break in the evisceration, I just had to lol, I wasn't even mad at death anymore.
Shoes...

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 07:57:00 pm »

Axe-Goblins are bloody insane. One just popped out of nowhere and hit me in the chest, mangling my upper body and one lung. I was propelled away by the force of the blow into a stone wall. "Mortal Wound!" "Bleeding!" told me I only had a second or two of life left. My pikeman ally tried to attack while I got to my feet, moved a bit closer and put an arrow straight through the goblin's chest, killing it instantly.

Sometimes, revenge is a dish best served instantly. As in, less than three seconds after its conception. In this case, I managed to escape with my life, too.

Edit: Dwarf Fortress. If you expect to die by the blade, you'll die by an arrow. If you learn to expect the arrow, you'll die by an axe.

[ February 26, 2008: Message edited by: Keiseth ]

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 07:59:00 pm »

I ran into an axelord recently... I think it went something like this-

Adventurer- Hello Mr. Axelord
Axelord- Prepare to die!
Adventurer- Wha-
*Adventurer's head flies off in a bloody arc*

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 08:01:00 pm »

Yeah, the only person who lasted five turns in combat with her was the one who killed her, the rest just ran up and blew apart.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 12:25:00 am »

So I'm not the only one who's getting obliterated by these axe lords?  Well that's a bloody relief.  I thought that slimy little bugger was taunting me.

I still haven't killed him yet, but I've only sent a couple adventurers at him.  He'll die soon enough, though...  I've just got to last beyond that first strike with his exceptional-quality halberd.

But then there was the time I fought a centaur axe lord!  Now that was an epic battle!  Well, a few of them, actually.

I'd modded in centaurs along with Norse giants.  I had set out as a giant who ended up with no equipment (goddamn wrestling skill), and happened to be just wandering around and picking up small rocks.  Eventually, my size 16 giant came across the size 9 centaur axe lord, and I thought "Hey, this should be fun.  My own personal chewtoy!".

I threw a few stones at him, all of which missed, and then I notice that I'm dead.  First strike, my massive frame is sent flying away, leaving a bloody streak behind it.

Now, this insolent little donkey needs some schooling!  So I send giant No. 2 at him, fully armed and armored with a big axe of his own!

quote:

First strike, my massive frame is sent flying away, leaving a bloody streak behind it.

This was starting to get ridiculous.  Giant No. 3, go!  Spearman this time.

I managed, somehow, to get the axe out of his grip.  He, however, managed to get my grip out of me.  One arm useless, and not a scratch on horse-boy (aside from having lost his axe).

So, I try to smack him with my shield.  The shot is blocked.  He tries to hit me with his shield.  The shot glances away.

This continues for a day or so, nobody making any headway (except for giving the axe lord legendary shield user skill), and then some random guard comes over and plants a spear through my gut.  

Giant No. 4 also meets his maker at the hands of this highly troubling centaur.

Finally, Giant No. 5, after losing his hammer (the centaur was sitting on it), banging his shield into the centaur axe lord between blackouts (for some reason, the centaur was not passing out.  At least he couldn't stand up for any length of time before falling back to the ground), I land a lucky hit.  His head.  Stunned slightly, the centaur opens the way for my second strike, bringing down the fury distilled in generations of giantkind by the freezing cold of the tundra, the centaur axe lord is struck down in a very satisfying fashion, having had all his organs squished to a meaty pulp.

And then someone shot me and I died.  But hey, not only did I kill the axe lord, but I also managed to mortally wound the elite bowman who shot me down.  He bled to death before I did.

It was a testing world, but I couldn't just leave it with an unsettled score.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 12:47:00 am »

I know how you feel, Kagus! I've lost about eight adventurers (some of them hired by other adventuers) to my pocket-plane's only Goblin Fortress. Everyone is killed by the Demon or Elite Bow-goblin. I've long since been ready to make a new world but I *will not* let them get away with this.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 03:21:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Keiseth:
<STRONG>I know how you feel, Kagus! I've lost about eight adventurers (some of them hired by other adventuers) to my pocket-plane's only Goblin Fortress. Everyone is killed by the Demon or Elite Bow-goblin. I've long since been ready to make a new world but I *will not* let them get away with this.</STRONG>

I had a very beefy (scripted to legendary) swordsman slaughter every goblin in sight.  Then, a lowly guard pops out from behind a tree, and puts an arrow through *both* my swordsman's lungs.  One arrow.

No problem, I went and decapitated the goblin, then walked a ways away from the fort in hopes that the next adventurer would be able to pick up my armor.  You can walk a long way without lungs when you're unbelievably tough.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 09:01:00 am »

Just think of it as a few extra windpipes.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 [2]