Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Most peculiar cave  (Read 2846 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Most peculiar cave
« on: March 29, 2008, 08:41:00 am »

Empiresgutter was it's name.

It was the opnly cave in this pocket world that was avaiable to me, the only other cave, home to a dragon was inaccessible due to the high cliffs

anyway, I learned of this cave from the major upon asking him about the surroundings. When I asked him for a quest, he told me that they were currently untroubled. Surely the result of me slaying not only the demongod, but also the high priest, the crossbow lord and over 100 other goblins in my previous quests.

As I begin to sneak my way through the cave, I notice something strange. The cave is completely empty. 9 Z-levels with nothing but bare grey flint, only to be seldomly disturbed by the blood red sardonyx clusters.
I searched for what seemed an eternity (bringing me up from proficent to adept ambusher and costing me all my water), when i find a stairway down, to Z-level -10.

It lead me to a looong hallway, which ended in a small chamber. In it there were only 3 things. Agolden coin of the dwarven civilization far to the south, a stack of 8 silver coins of the elven civilization far to the south east, and a guardian that would not allow me this treasure.
A single groundhog.

I took the gold coin and threw it at him, exploding him into gore.

This gold coin is now my secret weapon and has killed several harpies so far:
Always in one shot

(maybe that is because I am ultra migthy)

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Katawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most peculiar cave
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 09:38:00 am »

I am at once and instantly intrigued.
att has been attacked by a dead and still annoying acquaintance lately.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 09:54:00 am »

This sounds like Hidden Fun Stuff.  I, too, am intrigued.
Also, the Dragon in the mountain cave is epic-ly awesome.
Shoes...

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 10:25:00 am »

All you gotta do for the dragon cave is mod whatever race this adventurer is to be [FLIER]
Then you can press the up/down Z level buttons at will and get up to where the cave entrance is.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 10:28:00 am »

not hidden fun stuff, most likely a little bug during world gen that caused the cave to be empty

where the groundhog came from is still a mystery tho.

also, the coin is not that beastly, some of my victims survived later on.

I managed to get into that dragon cave, simply by jumping down 2 Z-levels (only light grey injuries, nothing bad) and it was empty as well. I am now legendary ambusher.

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

N35t0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 11:58:00 am »

I spent several waterskins exploring a cabe full of random monsters but supposedly inhabited by a dragon, until on my 5th time out to get water I decide to take a nap before going in again, only to wake up to a gust of flame.

I did survive the encounter, but killed myself jumping off a cliff to try to get to my former fort's location (and bugger me if I know how the merchants got there...)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 05:27:00 pm »

If the groundhog was named it probably killed somebody Wilderness creatures typically cease to exist when the area is unloaded or they leave.

However when they kill something they become a historical figure, the game doesn't like deleting historical figures.  So instead of deleting it it tosses it into some random cave somewhere.  

While goblin slaying did you ever see a groundhog fighting goblins?  If so, that is that groundhog.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 06:00:00 pm »

Maybe it killed a kid who tried to wrestle it.  I don't know how the coins got there though.
Shoes...

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 06:29:00 pm »

mighty groundhog's loot!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 08:19:00 pm »

If you can best him in a wrestling match, the treasure is yours.  Many have tried, few have survived, none have won.
Shoes...

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 08:23:00 pm »

Few can survive the mighty miser-hog!

>>Miser: Someone who counts their money constantly.  (Not *quite* literal definition, see www.dictionary.com  for that)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 08:52:00 pm »

Are you suggesting I don't know my words?
Shoes...

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 09:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Muffles:
<STRONG>Are you suggesting I don't know my words?</STRONG>
No...  I was just including that in case somebody didn't.