Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Opinions on my history generator  (Read 2443 times)

Gunroar:Cannon()

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Opinions on my history generator
« on: July 23, 2021, 05:19:34 pm »

Hey, all!
I'm working on a simple history generator for a simple binary-choice management game, like Reigns. (More info here).
It has no graphics for now and just prints out log output to a file as it's just supposed to be the backbone of a game, and I don't mean for it to be as complicated as dorf's one(no chance). :)
If there's any opinions on this or ideas that could be added please say.
(Do I even need something this complicated?)
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

tweet...

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions on my history generator
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 10:16:12 pm »

Looks interesting. Is there source code or a program that we can download and run for ourselves? I like history generators, so I'm okay with just reading log files. :)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 09:45:40 am »

Thanks,

As for the source code, sorry, but I don't have any place where it's downloadable(yet?). Anyway there are still errors(a separate log file for errors also gets filled up), bugs(I got elephants eating elephants but I fixed that one in exchange for more :) ) and all/most of the features I wish to add haven't been added yet.

Added
-Travelling on a simple 1D array
-Mating, including being cheated on and marriage for less primitive creatures
-Hunting
-Simple occupations, like healers and conversationalists :P
-Crafting of basic items
-Equipping and enchanting itens
-Stampedes
-Leaders of respective clans/species
-Falling into "The Dungeon"
-Escaping "The Dungeon"
-Picking up dropped items
-Death by old age and injury
-Memory for actions
-Sharing knowledge

Still to go
-Wars
-Disasters(e.g. disease)
-Tracking/hunting down an item
-Feeling sad for people close(like family) dying
-Going on a rampage(?)

There's still probably more I forgot, but if anyone has more I could put in the todo list it's welcome!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 05:19:14 am by Gunroar:Cannon() »

tweet...

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 08:35:10 am »

Yes, thats very interesting indeed. (Just PTWing)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 10:27:31 am »

I have a bookkeeping suggestion--which might help both you and anyone who wants to have fun with this!

Primarily I think some additional context is important. Every... idk hundred events you can print what region we're in and the geographical relationship between sites where things happen. I.E. We are in Lusitania, whose capital is Lisbon, Amadora is North of Lisbon, and Setubal is East of Lisbon--or something like that.

But that might tied to the development of the game you want to make so idk, just yea--the more context the better
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 06:03:16 pm »

Thnx!

What does "PTWing" mean ???

Hmmm... bookkeeping? Like keeping records of the world to be more viewable in player's eyes. This also can allow people like scholars and meisters to write history books. And capitals and countries, nice, I'll get to adding that.

And do you mean printing out where the current actions are happening? The iteration is
    for each clan:
         for each creature in clan:
              updateLineage(creature)

so I can only really print where the creature currently moved to to keep track of their positions. If I iterate using locations with the way I built it I would get concurrent editting errors, or something of the like. Anyway, this is just the log output and not the polished output so far :) :P . Hopefully polished output will be more readable.

The world is based on a song of Ice and Fire( Game of Thrones) and Tolkien except less serious. Meant for a game where only 2 choices are presented (yes/no) and your job is to manage a dungeon, I call it Dungeon Rollcall, though I may use the history gen for other purposes.

Anyway to post files from storage here?
Love the suggestion(s)!

tweet...

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 06:34:49 pm »

PTW stands for "Posting To Watch" it both tells the OP that someone is interested in the thread and by default adds the thread to the posters notification list so that they get notified when the thread is updated..
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.