Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 169

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 146819 times)

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Future of the Fortress
« on: August 27, 2006, 09:45:00 pm »

Once the bug reports die down, the next step will be to make Adventure Mode more fun, laying a foundation for more progress in both modes.  Plans include fleshing out the human villages.  Peasants will move about on daily schedules, locking their stores at night, eating with forks and spoons, and sleeping in their beds at night.  They will deck themselves out in stunning new clothing, dyed in vibrant colors or painted with intricate designs.  They also dangle new coin purses ready to be snatched by greedy adventurers.

The keep with also be more interesting, possibly surrounded by menacing towers and a wide moat.  Guards will patrol the fortress in bright new uniforms.  These servants of the peace will not join you on quests, but they will hunt you down if you break the laws of the town. (and kill you)  Once inside you will be able to marvel at flowing tapestries and chests filled with treasure, all illuminated by flickering torches.  There the lord will be, wearing his new crown, surrounded by diplomats, bards, and other hangers-on.

Back at the mead hall you will meet the good old drunks, gulping intoxicants from their personal steins.  They will be armed with primitive weapons and eager for adventure.  There too you will meet mercenaries, ready to follow the right leader.  

Later, every person in the land will be affiliated to their own town and family.  New quests will allow you to settle grudges between warring clans.

Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 10:15:00 pm »

My heart is bursting with joy and love!  Furthermore, I dig your stories and have printed some out to read when I'm away from the house.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 01:27:00 am »

Hello source of inspiration, and maniac toad partner !

So does the bug report seems to die down, or would you believe that it is still a soft beginning befor the actual wave of reports strikes the forum ?

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 12:29:00 pm »

You must strive to control your negative waves.  The process will continue.  The relative 'importance' of the bugs being reported has already diminished like a boil under soothing lotion.  For fortress mode to be complete, adventure mode must begin!
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 02:33:00 pm »

Your lucky numbers are 12, 14, 34, and 74.

Learn Chinese!  Dwarf.  矮人.

[ August 29, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 10:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aquillion:
<STRONG>Your lucky numbers are 12, 14, 34, and 74.

Learn Chinese!  Dwarf.  矮人.

[ August 29, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]</STRONG>

I am tempted to replace the dwarf face symbols with 矮, now. (Then again, if tilesets are ever added, I'll probably make a  Kanji or Chinese Ideogram tileset; what better way to learn the characters than by associating 象 with "OH SHI-! ELEPHANTS!")

Aphix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 02:32:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Gakidou:
<STRONG>

I am tempted to replace the dwarf face symbols with 矮, now. (Then again, if tilesets are ever added, I'll probably make a  Kanji or Chinese Ideogram tileset; what better way to learn the characters than by associating 象 with "OH SHI-! ELEPHANTS!")</STRONG>

*giggle* Oh that'd be funny.

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 03:15:00 pm »

Being a big fan of Adventure mode, I'm glad to see that, from the latest developments, work on this project has progressed; however, I have a few questions that I would like answered OR considerations for further development, which, because of spoilers, need no answer (take it as you will).  Now, I have not seen it in the bloats projected; however, the inclusion of diseases seems like something that fits in well with the game, considering we have been given zombies, vampires and werewolves (and other nasty critters).  Its notable that, when wrestling with zombies, the player character often gets bitten and I would expect a future release which causes the PC to get infected with the corpus disease and, without getting the cure, turn into a zombie eventually.

I'm really liking the ultra-violence of combat in Adventure mode and I would expect that wild animals that go through the trouble of killing the PC would also eat the corpse instead of wonder off.  (I pictured a losing fighter with a pack of wolves having his corpse torn up, dragged around, and fought over, even).

EDIT (almost forgot):
The main question here is if such diseases will be implemented in the future.

[ September 03, 2006: Message edited by: ravensword227 ]

EDIT 2:
Thanks for the prompt reply.  I do believe that answers my question.  I also found out what I needed to know about the other feature  from Threetoe's stories.

VVVV

[ September 04, 2006: Message edited by: ravensword227 ]

Dumed Zustashlorbam, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Skeletal hammerhead shark.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 05:35:00 pm »

"Bloat144, DISEASE AND INFECTION" handles the very basic diseases, not the magical ones, although the original armok future pages go into curses a bit (it's a bit easier to search using the Single Dev Page, although this won't be updated as frequently).  The old armok pages are at the bottom, and they are more rant-based than organized.  A text search for "Curses:" (including the colon), "disease" and "disease:" should take you to the relevant parts.  Note that much of the old armok stuff is based on that game rather than this one, so might be out-moded/irrelevant, but we're still using all these notes as a basis for future work.

[ September 03, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 02:17:00 pm »

Four days since the last update or word from Toady. I'm frightened and agitated! I set the developments page to by my homepage (!) because I love reading the progress and I cannot wait for each new build. This four day gap is like some dark hole in me that I can't fill...

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 04:44:00 pm »

Probably just means the update this weekend will be really good...

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 04:52:00 pm »

Patience is a virtue.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 07:02:00 am »

What you've got in your hands is a 4 year development job. With 2 intensive ones. So, I guess that most of the items in the project list won't be implemented befor 1 year or 2.

Yes, patience is a virtue !

[ September 18, 2006: Message edited by: flap ]

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 07:46:00 am »

quote:
Once the bug reports die down, the next step will be to make Adventure Mode more fun

Considering the latest dev log entry - the process has begun. Hovewer, from my POV the absolutely first thing needed is not "beefing up" the Adventure Mode, but adding the actual stuff to do.

Just one quest type "go there, kill that" gets old fast. At least a couple more occupations for a resourseful adventurer, like adding actual digging in Ad.Mode to look for those elusive diamonds Mayor sent you for, or maybe someone needs an exquisite (and whole, no chopped off limbs) bear rug, or maybe the ability to built your own small forest hut ?

Just one or two of some things like this will be enough for the time being.

[ September 18, 2006: Message edited by: karnot ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 01:28:00 pm »

The elements in the OP are foundational, mostly.  If the towns make more sense, more sensible things can be built up around them.  A lot of the game development has worked this way.  For instance, I didn't add bugs on the ground and images to coins just for flavor, but to facilitate future collection quests, etc., and I'll add those at some point.  I'd also like to have better quests, but it's not time yet, because the people you meet need to have proper motivations.  All of the quests should make sense.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 169