Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169]

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 146650 times)

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2520 on: September 20, 2007, 04:01:00 pm »

Socks! In my experience my feet stay pretty warm while wearing proper boots, even walking in snow. Unless you get snow in them, and your socks get soggy; in that case it's not long before your toes go numb. Snow boots or gaiters would prevent that. (However, I admit I don't live in a cold climate and haven't spent that much time in snow.)

I think I'll have a little channel that pumps water out over my entrance, sealing the doors shut as the water freezes. We'll be iced in, never to emerge. Thank goodness the ecology doesn't depend on sunlight!

[ September 20, 2007: Message edited by: Turgid Bolk ]

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: September 20, 2007, 04:14:00 pm »

Hm. Waitaminute....   Will water freeze if exposed to outside air, or if it simply leaves underground? Because in the former case there's a really nifty way to make ice houses - rewall a volume of rock, then hollow it out to the size of your house, then fill the empty space with water, then mine out the rock shell starting from the roof. The water will freeze, and a standing cube of ice will be made, free to be mined out into whatever form you need.

Also, Toady, how'd you set up the water movement if it doesn't allow overflowing? Any system I can think of would allow water to pump excess water from a cell upwards due to pressure...

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Havlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: September 20, 2007, 05:50:00 pm »

Judging from the last paragraph in Toady's last post, he pulled the overflow code because it was causing problems with water "piling up" in waterfalls. I think that means that the water wouldn't flow straight down, but would make a "mound" instead, behaving more like loose sand than water. He'll get back to it eventually.

BahamutZERO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: September 20, 2007, 05:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>Hm. Waitaminute....   Will water freeze if exposed to outside air, or if it simply leaves underground? Because in the former case there's a really nifty way to make ice houses - rewall a volume of rock, then hollow it out to the size of your house, then fill the empty space with water, then mine out the rock shell starting from the roof. The water will freeze, and a standing cube of ice will be made, free to be mined out into whatever form you need.

Also, Toady, how'd you set up the water movement if it doesn't allow overflowing? Any system I can think of would allow water to pump excess water from a cell upwards due to pressure...</STRONG>

I think it does overflow into the cell above, as shown in the mule drowning movie. Or was that different because the water level wasn't increasing due to flow, but due to water being dropped down into the cell? Is there even a difference? I thought he was just talking about reproducing the seasonal flood behavior of the current version's cave river, not overflowing in general.

edit: Actually, now that I think about it a little, the "water pressure in a U-shaped area" movie is a much better example of overflow happening.:P  Assuming the dynamics in that movie haven't been changed since it was made.

[ September 20, 2007: Message edited by: BahamutZERO ]

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: September 20, 2007, 06:49:00 pm »

In the movie of the water pressure in a u-shaped tube the water did overflow to higher cells but not until the lower cell was at 7/7. So water will overflow to higher levels.
If the water piling up is a problem why not make the water spread out faster? In the movies it seemed to spread very slowly. But since I don't know much about about the programing I can't really comment but just out of curiosity is the slow spread of the water designed to let the game run faster, to serve a quasi realistic function(the water is flowing up over the banks of the river?) or is there another reason?

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: September 20, 2007, 08:28:00 pm »

Hey quick recomendation... It might be an idea to add a "do last action" key to make things a bit easier.

EDIT: Ok... top of the page... unexpected...

[ September 20, 2007: Message edited by: Pnx ]

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: September 21, 2007, 08:27:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady in the Dev page:
[QB]I dug a hole in a yard for a tree today,QB]

Toady cancels Dig: startled by a deer.

I keeed.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: September 21, 2007, 08:41:00 am »

Hm seems like this thread is still working.

Exasperation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: September 21, 2007, 11:15:00 am »

I have to ask...after so long without sunlight, did cave adaptation cause you to vomit while planting the tree?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2529 on: September 21, 2007, 03:54:00 pm »

The water flowing slowly is a CPU thing, yeah.  Speeding it up wouldn't help with the water piles -- water piles shouldn't happen at waterfalls at all.  Something like an overflow is different, and would involve stacking water unevenly, but it has to be able to tell the difference.

The sunlight is actually nice and warm, though there was a swarm of (2) bees attacking me.

edit: the posts are taking a long time to update for me too.  We'll go over to the thread that somebody made here.

[ September 21, 2007: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169]