Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Potential problem with layer opacity?  (Read 6820 times)

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
Potential problem with layer opacity?
« on: July 26, 2021, 09:21:09 am »

This is something I noticed with both screenshots from the recent work orders related post. There is a subtle pattern in the grey backround of both menus.

I played around with the image's levels, essentially turning up the contrast on the background extremely high, and this is the result:
Spoiler: original (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: tweaked (click to show/hide)

There are a number of interesting things going on here. Some part of the underlying world is visible through, or is drawn above the menu. It appears to be outline and shading information, but not the actual sprites.

Additionally, you can see that beneath the Amount of drinks condition, there are three more lines for 'Amount of divination adic'. Also, printed underneath the text "Brew drink from plant Restarts if completed, conditions checked daily" there appears to be another line of text ending in the word "shop."
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 09:31:25 am by Rekov »

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Potential problem with layer opacity?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 07:38:19 pm »

Looking back a little further, it seems this issue isn't isolated to the work order lists. It may in fact affect all menus.

Spoiler: Information hub (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hive screen (click to show/hide)

I've tested a few others with similar results.

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 05:18:45 am »

I’m gonna guess the menus are drawn with alpha set to 254. Or maybe it’s set to 255 but somewhere in the renderer divides by 256 by accident when converting to a float. The result is transparency that’s in invisible to the naked eye.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 06:58:56 am »

I'll let Tarn know. I don't think it's a huge issue, but damn... amazing catch. :)

The text behind the text comes from another open menu window that's behind this one.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::