Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Shadows of Forbidden Gods - Grand Apocalyptic Strategy Game  (Read 25695 times)

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadows of Forbidden Gods - Grand Apocalyptic Strategy Game
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2022, 12:20:30 am »

The development has been long-running and consistent from what I've seen so far, and I wouldn't be surprised if 1.0 is reached within a year for better or worse.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2022, 01:11:20 pm »

Is this game worth getting?

Or will it be similar to Ruinarch with barely any development and stuck in Early-Access hell? I've been very paranoid about games like this since Towns. Ruinarch was the straw that broke the camel's back for me, in terms of taking Early-Access stuff seriously.
I wouldn't be worried about them not finishing, a lot of progress has been made.

What I am worried about is the dev just abandoning the game and saying its done and going to work on the "sequel" because that is something that they already did. This (and being annoyed at them for it) is the reason I haven't gotten it myself despite having gotten the "previous" game.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2022, 12:02:04 pm »

Hopefully it won't come to that. If nothing else it's doing quite well.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2023, 03:33:38 am »

Picked this up. Played about 270 turns as She Who Will Feast.

It's a cute game....but I found myself often going "Well, what now?"

I just kept expecting to have more options. Which seems weird given how many you're offered with your agents. But so many of them seemed pointless, or loaded behind so many other requirements that they weren't worth pursuing. The only consistent thing I found myself doing with my time is making money and laying low.

And once the AI dialed in on me, the cities I was targeting would just throw up Wards every time they could. So my guys spent a lot of their time knocking down Wards just to have them come right back up.

I get the game, at least for that God, is basically stalling as long as you can. But it made for a lot of turns where I just didn't feel like I was doing anything. Magic is cool, I guess....but again, there's so many front-loaded requirements on doing anything with it. First you need an arcane source. Then you need to study it. Then you need to study the magic. Then you need more arcane sources. To do more studying. So you can use a spell, that maybe requires something else or does something mildly useful....

Even the God Powers were pretty underwhelming. There was exactly one that came in useful often to speed things up. But the rest were passingly useful.

I might get more out of a second playthrough. It's not a bad game. There's just a lack of variety in a lot of places. From gear to minions to just options that feel useful. There was some mildly amusing narrative playing out but most only came to fruition in the latter half of the game once the crusades were declared, but for all the heredity and bloodline and getting mad you killed so and so...so little of it actually seemed to matter beyond it being flavorful.

It took me almost all 200 turns to finally Enshadow a Capitol City, but at that point I had no agent slots left to recruit the Monarch, so GG Dark Empire. Not that it would have mattered, once the Alliance was formed they threw like 600 HP worth of armies at the Enshadowed Nation. Even with the Chosen One slain there wasn't much to do but just watch them roll in and start wiping out cities.

That was the point at which I was like "What exactly should I do now?" The game implies there's all these ways to slow down or inhibit your foes but none of them really seem to matter. Can't increase unrest without it being crazy high to begin with. Arming Bandits just damages heroes a little before they sort the problem. Devastating the countryside builds menace crazy fast. Villages and cities near Enshadow territory get warded out the wazoo. Your cults get revealed. You can't do shit to an army without an army, or some high level magic. There just didn't seem to be anything proactive to do that would actually slow down the Alliance. Devastation seems like the only thing you can reliably do and it brings the hammer down fast. Plague would have been nice, except it never showed up anywhere near me.

Likewise, influencing the religions of the land is a cool idea....but for how long it takes to build influence, and how fast your changes get counteracted, it also seemed like a lot of options that couldn't amount to much. I got it to the point where nobles started donating to my agents, but not much else.

So yeah. Cute game but after a few hours I suddenly felt like playing Dominions instead. Sitting there for turn after turn waiting for challenges to complete doesn't feel very fun. Especially once you realize that your options are actually pretty limited. That's what I'd point to as what the game needs most: more ways to actually affect the places you infiltrate.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 03:53:49 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2023, 11:48:25 am »

She Who Will Feast is kind of the tutorial god: her powers are unimpressive until you awaken her and then it is game over.

Try the other Gods:  Vinerva is designed to facilitate the Dark Empire, for instance, if you wanted to try that out.

You don't need armies or manually enshadowed capital cities, sometimes corrupting a weak religion will get that city for you, and all the armies you need are already on the table--you just need to position them into a civil war (which, for instance, Iastur, is really good at, if played carefully).
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2023, 02:33:10 pm »

Vinerva was certainly interesting during development when she had like two abilities that actually functioned more or less as intended, and everything else was either nonfunctional or so pathetically weak/niche as to be meaningless.

The two that worked were hilariously powerful if you gave it a little nudge though. A couple raids with a throwaway orc to cause starvation and *pop*, suddenly half the map's under your thumb.

That said... I still haven't played the full release yet. I dunno, I still kinda miss 2. Hell, I miss a lot of the ideas from 1.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2023, 02:02:00 pm »

Finally got over being butthurt over picking up the last game awhile back only for them to cancel development within the week to work on this instead.

I am enjoying this version so far, though I had to restart when my CPU (Oldie from 2011) died mid-game, and discovered to my annoyance the cloud save never uploaded so I had to run the snake again on my gaming pc as I couldn't find a way to skip it.

The second snake game was far more intense, especially since I started it literally moments after the elves update, and my god the devastation was crazy. I also turned on Divine Beings to give that a try.

So I got (World War = 60% of human nations at war at once) along with killing the chosen one (2 achievements since I used The Cursed), and the elves literally handed me the victory with ( Forever Night = Win with your highest score contribution being "Enshadowed % population")

Essentially the elves got involved in the many wars and sailed to the largest continent where they proceeded to murderbone raze 9 cities and pretty much everything else between them on the northern part of the continent, while ignoring the Deep One cults I spawned in the south end. They must have killed around 25-35% of the world population as my score sky rocketed and I won ten turns before the snake was even summoned!

Crazy. I also banished two of the divine beings but frankly I never really had much problems with them even when they were mad at me.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2023, 09:00:28 pm »

Version 1.0! It's OUT of Early Access!
(Let's hope this means it gets developed for another year or so, and not what happened last time, LOL)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]