Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: Uncontroversial ideas thread  (Read 13153 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Uncontroversial ideas thread
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2021, 11:06:39 am »

No individual should be allowed to have/control more than 200 man-years of median income as total wealth.  (That amounts to only about $12M US.)

Organizations can have more than that if it is controlled by a proportional number of people; that is, you need at least one person per $12M.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2021, 11:19:33 am »

So you want to abolish anything less than direct democracy? Your organization exception sounds like a giant loophole screaming abuse me.
let

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2021, 12:47:09 pm »

So you want to abolish anything less than direct democracy? Your organization exception sounds like a giant loophole screaming abuse me.

Nah, so long the workplaces are democratic (ie union-controlled and not beholden to outside stockholders) it'll work fine.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2021, 01:09:40 pm »

So direct democracy anywhere except not necessarely the ballot box?

I grew freaking tired of my favourite lefty youtubers gone haggled down to uphold unions as the bullwark of the working class, now that any kind of big change is out of the picture. Unions are a valuable institution, I'm not denying that. But when yankees talk about those "good paying union jobs" all of these have something other in common than just unions: high qualification levels and more often than not vital to the infrastructure.

Over here most people are"unionized",I pay union fees too. Once they got me back a few thousand bucks in salary from some conman who went bankrupt for like the fifth time. That's what they do over here: amend the worst kinds of abuses after the facts. But they're like the least probable to instigate real change, completly hinging on old labor law acquirements making them very myopic. Technocracy beats unionisation. And by technocracy I mean EU parlament style parlamentarianism that makes everything too complicated for those without armies of lawyers, not automatisation.

edit, a little bit more context: See over here there is parts of the national labor agency's work being outsourced to unions, unless you want to fill out more paperwork yourself to submit to a more hostile institution you are going to have the payments of your unemployment insurance handled by the unions, eventhough they take member fees of around 30€ a quarteryear IIRC, maybe halfyear. The unemployment service makes up the bulk of their work. It's why I came in contact with unions more or less as soon I turned 18. So in the last 12 years, not once that I went, the folks working there weren't talking to me from behind a mountain of official documents. One "franchise" closed a few years back, so now a 20km radius all flock to the same buro. And their opening hours kept constantly regressing, they now open 3,5 times a week: two times four hours one weekday, two times four hours another weekday but in the afternoon it's only legal services, unemployment service is closed. You can show up 20 minutes before the opening time, and still find yourself standing in line. If you show up in the waiting room 45 minutes before break or closure, you probably won't get your turn.

Also as to the actual topic currently in this thread: I'm actually for that kind of suggestion, 12millions is even about the amount I'd have suggested, if that happens to coincide with 200 years of median income that's actually neat. We can start with 100 years of median income and gradually adjust as things unfuck up. Just that the way you formulated it, I had like images of special management interest organizations popping up, where the CEO and his lackeys all have an organisation to themselves dedicated to their welfare, and everybody in that special club is just member of all of the other CEO&lackey welfare organisations.

re-edit: man I have weird idiosynchracies in what spelling I choose, sometimes spelling the same word both in british and in american in the same sentence.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 03:09:11 pm by dragdeler »
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2021, 05:05:44 pm »

re-edit: man I have weird idiosynchracies in what spelling I choose, sometimes spelling the same word both in british and in american in the same sentence.
If it makes you feel any better, sometimes I do that, too. It's usually an intentional thing, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2021, 05:59:17 pm »

Y'all talking controversial ideas in my thread? Shoo.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2021, 06:53:56 pm »

Incontrovertible
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2021, 03:27:00 am »

There are controversies in the uncontroversial thread and I feel this is controversial!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2021, 03:29:20 am »

then you should stop, because this is the uncontroversial ideas thread.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 16, 2021, 03:11:09 am »

then you should stop, because this is the uncontroversial ideas thread.

And that is a uncontroversial idea, too!
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #130 on: October 16, 2021, 05:53:36 pm »

Has anyone ever opposed sliced bread before?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 16, 2021, 08:38:59 pm »

The bread takes great offense at being sliced.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 16, 2021, 09:20:23 pm »

I can guarantee you that some bakers out there have complained about big bread putting small bakers like them out of business with this new fangled sliced bread.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2021, 12:29:48 am »

But it's the best idea since-!
uh
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2021, 01:22:55 am »

Egg!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16