Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: Uncontroversial ideas thread  (Read 12921 times)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: Uncontroversial ideas thread
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2021, 06:51:14 pm »

Cogito ergo sum (I think, therefore I am)

What do you mean by 'I"?  And are the two uses in the above quotation really equivalent?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2021, 07:04:37 pm »

Why is forum necromancy controversial
Mostly because it gives people false hope of meaningful new activity. It's a fairly major poke to the eye to see a well liked thread that had fallen off due to inactivity pop back up with a new post, and it turns out it's just some random asshole bumping it with nothing of substance to bring up. Folks tend to dislike that, some rather intensely.

Necros that do actually add something of substance -- news of a new development, actual discussion or non-trivial question, or whatever -- generally aren't nearly as frowned upon, and can often even be appreciated, but the other sort is very much disliked.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 07:07:39 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2021, 12:04:09 am »

Is dirt controversial?
LOAMY SOIL GANG GANG
Different plants grow better on different soil types, so if you could talk to plants, you might hear them talk about why their soil type is better than the other soil types.I do not know if this answered your question or not

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2021, 01:21:50 am »

Oh shit I just realized that if you try hard enough EVERYTHING CAN BE CONTROVERSIAL!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2021, 01:26:28 am »

Oh shit I just realized that if you try hard enough EVERYTHING CAN BE CONTROVERSIAL!

This may be the only uncontroversial thing in this thread.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2021, 03:32:44 am »

Not really...

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2021, 07:34:23 am »

Water is essential for life as we currently know it
If this is controversial, name a real organism that doesn’t require water. I said life as we know currently, fire type or ghost type pimemon are not counting since they’re fictional

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2021, 11:35:44 am »

There aren't any that we know of, right now, so far as I'm aware, yeah.

It's thought to be possible under certain circumstances (some of the moons further out in the solar system might have them, ferex), though, we just don't have access to said circumstances to, y'know. Check. Yet, anyway.

It's fairly likely to fall under a similar category of (un)controversy as "there are no egg laying mammals" used to, basically.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2021, 03:17:43 pm »

Water is essential for life as we currently know it
If this is controversial, name a real organism that doesn’t require water. I said life as we know currently, fire type or ghost type pimemon are not counting since they’re fictional

what about viruses :^)
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2021, 03:45:12 pm »

Most believe viruses don't count as living beings in and of themselves, because they do not consume nutrients or energy, reproduce, or react to their environment. If they're not in a suitable "host" organism, in contact with infectable tissues, they're effectively inanimate.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2021, 04:41:33 pm »

Cogito ergo sum (I think, therefore I am)

What do you mean by 'I"?  And are the two uses in the above quotation really equivalent?
I suppose "I" is a mind (or person?) described by the phrase "it me".  There are a lot of notable things the statement doesn't claim.  It doesn't claim that that the subject is human (or even capable of speech or any form of communication).  It doesn't claim that other minds exist (or are truly apart), leading to countless solipsists and omnisoul believers.

It is dependent on the subject actually thinking though.  A fictional character can speak the phrase, and be described as a great thinker, but they do not actually think.  (Lots of things exist without thinking, but fictional characters do not.  Characters who are thought to be fictional might exist, though, in which case they are not truly fictional)

Still, I thought (or did I?) of a less controversial version to satisfy the most pedantic solipsist:
You think, therefore you are.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2021, 04:45:16 pm »

I think... not.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2021, 04:54:20 pm »

This is a controversial idea: "This is a controversial idea."

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2021, 05:13:45 pm »

This is a controversial idea: "This is a controversial idea."

* A wild Gödel has appeared! *

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2021, 05:36:17 pm »

I think... not.
You're only proving my point!!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16