Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rome : Caesar's Will  (Read 1305 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rome : Caesar's Will
« on: July 29, 2021, 11:17:03 am »

Rome : Caesar's Will is an old game that ran on Windows 95.  I got it working on my laptop, Windows 8.  It works in all ways but one.  I can't seem to pick up items.  Funny enough I think this was an issue when I ran it on my old PC and I think I found out what the problem was.  But that was a long TIME ago.  More than a decade ago.

When the pointer goes over something you can pick up it becomes a hand and all you need to do is single click.  But nothing happens.  Anybody better at computer games, understanding interfaces, or better at deep researching the old net to find the answer?  I really would like to record a Let's Play of this old mystery game for You Tube if I could.  It is a French game by Montparnasse, so knowing French might help.

In other words - HEEELLLPPP!
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rome : Caesar's Will
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 01:53:29 pm »

you must attempt all the various combinations of compatibility settings, and if possible run the game as windowed, or fullscreen if already windowed.

google search led me here:
https://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1112309/all/Installation_instructions_for_

I dunno, bay12 might not the best place to ask about specific game issues for a 21 year old game.

lastly, you can config dosbox to run it, that would likely work fine.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 02:19:16 pm »

you must attempt all the various combinations of compatibility settings, and if possible run the game as windowed, or fullscreen if already windowed.

google search led me here:
https://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1112309/all/Installation_instructions_for_

I dunno, bay12 might not the best place to ask about specific game issues for a 21 year old game.

lastly, you can config dosbox to run it, that would likely work fine.

Thanks.  Those instructions are how I got it to run.   It runs I just have that one issue that I need to figure out.  Also I don't know how to use dosbox.  As I said it is running fine but for that one issue - which if I remember right it had when it was running two decades ago. 

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 07:03:15 pm »

Also I don't know how to use dosbox.

It's a solvable problem. DOSBox is pretty user friendly these days, because it's so popular.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 04:17:56 am »

quickly checking the game is a window one, not dos, so unfortunately dosbox would not bring a solution there.
googling a bit more about that item pickup problem, on a french abandonware website there is :
Lorsque l'on prend un objet en cliquant, vous êtes renvoyé auprès des personnages. Aller dans le menu faites une sauvegarde, puis charger une ancienne sauvegarde ou recommencer le jeu. Après, retourner au menu et charger votre dernière sauvegarde. Si vous ne pouvez toujours pas prendre l'objet (mais cette fois-ci votre personnage ne fait rien) recommencer l'opération d'avant (sauvegarde, chargement d'une ancienne sauvegarde, puis chargement de la dernière sauvegarde). Cette fois-ci le héros peut prendre l'objet en cliquant dessus.

that google translate into
When you pick up an object by clicking, you are referred to the characters. Go to the menu make a save, then load an old save or restart the game. After, return to the menu and load your last save. If you still cannot take the object (but this time your character does nothing) repeat the operation before (save, load an old save, then load the last save). This time the hero can take the object by clicking on it.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 12:38:43 pm »

quickly checking the game is a window one, not dos, so unfortunately dosbox would not bring a solution there.
googling a bit more about that item pickup problem, on a french abandonware website there is :

that google translate into
When you pick up an object by clicking, you are referred to the characters. Go to the menu make a save, then load an old save or restart the game. After, return to the menu and load your last save. If you still cannot take the object (but this time your character does nothing) repeat the operation before (save, load an old save, then load the last save). This time the hero can take the object by clicking on it.

Thanks.  I will try that.

Edit - That seems to do the trick.  A little weird but it works.  And this will allow me to now record and upload a Let's Play of a game that nobody has ever played on You Tube before!  Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 01:31:26 pm by callisto8413 »