Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Starbase: Space-engineers type MMO  (Read 3248 times)

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbase: Space-engineers type MMO
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2019, 08:19:34 pm »

Looking on YouTube and it seems they're already taking steps to have an actual economy this time through. You can rent plots on stations or even build stations and rent plots out. I have no reason to be hyped already over this but it's promising. There's even talk already of kidnapping people with programming experience to build ships, or people selling ships with lots of cool automation features, which is cool. I've always wanted to play the role of spaceship engineer in a MMO like this.

I think my favorite bit is the damage and how tactile it is along with the frame-based construction. I've always thought space building games should use a frame and panel approach like Starbase uses, and so it's thrilling to finally see it. Full voxel based games were just in their own ways spiritual successors to minecraft, and barring oddities like Interstellar Rift it was wierd ever seeing a break from the formula, so this is refreshing.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2019, 09:13:35 am »

PTW, count me as interested but skeptical

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2019, 10:06:17 am »

Finally watched the trailer.

Why do the robo-people, who are capable of crafting a spaceworthy vessel using only their hand-held paint sprayer, have to leave said vessel to mine an asteroid using pickaxes?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2019, 01:23:43 pm »

Finally watched the trailer.

Why do the robo-people, who are capable of crafting a spaceworthy vessel using only their hand-held paint sprayer, have to leave said vessel to mine an asteroid using pickaxes?

iirc, there ARE mining lasers--I believe the picks are A.) the equivalent of punching that first tree in Minecraft, and B.) a stopgap tool to mess around with before more proper tools and weapons are introduced by the devs.

Y'know, I did a good amount of research on this game because of the hype and its sudden appearance on my dash and its seemingly expansive feature list. I'm really not sure what to make of it. It seems much further along than other any previous game in the genre(s), but it does also seem too good to be true, and the pre-release player base in the official discord is... strange/toxic/unappealing.

I can't help but think that the game is gonna get min/maxed to hell and back, and unlike EVE--if we can really consider this an MMO--there is not going to be many of the soft protections against asshole gankers.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2019, 01:09:50 am »

i wonder why these type of games always go for the mmo genre which it's the hardest to which deliver a fun and balanced experience.

with a damage and combat system as detailed as the trailer showed this would make an unbelievably good Deathmatch type of thing, with prefabs spawned out of a point pool at the beginning

most other these game end up with mad type of equilibrium where interesting stuff seldom happens and combat ends up always being loopsided because nobody would commit unless having preponderant force
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 03:55:25 am by LoSboccacc »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2021, 02:10:38 pm »

So this is in public alpha/beta now. Just an FYI. Ive only played a little, but I would recommend holding off buying unless you want to support the development team. I can't offer a specific review on what is or is not there, but the kinks are still being worked out.

THAT SAID. First of all the technology on display is pretty awesome, they can... do quite a bit in terms of volumetric rendering. There is a little lag, but I think that will get better with time. The only thing I've done so far is the tutorial and mining (which is terrifying enough by the way), but the ship building system is super intense. The potential here is insane, and IMO they are already in a much much better position than Skywanderers/Starship EVO ever was.

EDIT: I dont want to overhype, but this is interesting as it very much what I imagined a 0x10c made by an actually competent team and fulfilling its potential would look like--I think that's an old enough of a reference to make a fair comparison.

EDIT2: Having played slightly longer, the issues are these: long ass time to mine ore, but maybe that improves (in efficiency if not time) later, a lack of QoL features, and no NPC or PVE stuff (which is a major detractor in my book, and im not sure theyll ever add that stuff)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 05:13:33 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2021, 05:23:14 am »

I've played since release, I really like it but there are definitely bugs and overall jankiness and missing stuff (well, you just have to look at the roadmap to understand why). On the plus side, they are patching issues on a daily basis.

EDIT2: Having played slightly longer, the issues are these: long ass time to mine ore, but maybe that improves (in efficiency if not time) later, a lack of QoL features, and no NPC or PVE stuff (which is a major detractor in my book, and im not sure theyll ever add that stuff)

Ore mining is faster once you plop down a station (or join a faction that has one in the belt), since you cut down travel times to almost 0. As for the mining itself, it will also get faster when you get a ship with mining lasers (and after that by adding more mining lasers).

There is an NPC market where you can sell pretty much everything (called "Marketplace") on the origin stations and a player-driven auction house. IMO the game is a good balance of PVE and PVP, with the option to do more of one or the other to your preference. The safe zone ensures that you don't have to deal with PVP at all in the beginning, and even after that, the world is so huge that you can just avoid danger by flying anywhere but in a straight line from the safe zone through the belt.

Right now I've been having a blast designing my own ship for the last few days, can't wait to fly it out in the real world once it's ready.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2021, 05:48:12 am »

Was very pessimistic but somehow this game hooked me. It seems that there is a lot of content further down and probably you need to have friends/company for best experience. But i love hacking together a ship that i can call my own (will probably cry when i leave safezone and be destroyed/crash into asteroid)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2021, 09:19:55 pm »

Built my first laser miner yesterday. Every piece assembled manually by myself. It's alright, but there are definitely some things I'll do different next time.

Firstly, I put my lasers below my pilot seat. The thing is, lasers don't have much range, so I have to get really close before I can use them, and my control panel ended up obstructing my view so I can barely see what I'm lasering. So, lasers above the seat next time.

Also I should have used a lot more of all the parts that only consume cheap safe zone elements, like thrusters, storage, and frame. It would not have taken long at all to gather those extra materials, and I could have given my ship a lot more oomph.

However, I'm really questioning the value of using a laser ship at all. Sure, I can tear apart asteroids in half the time compared to doing it with a pickaxe. But the lasers very quickly fill my storage crates with ice and the various other asteroid crust materials. Then I have to dump them all one by one, which ends up taking longer than if I had just picked the asteroids and only picked up the good stuff.

My next ship might just be a small hauler with a lot of speed so that I can get out to the pvp zone quickly and grab some rare ores, and little expense if I end up losing it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2021, 08:37:14 am »

This looks really interesting and I'll keep an eye on it but I've been hooked and fooled one too many times by perpetual early access titles that never actually release. Going to wait and see how this looks once it's finally finished

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2021, 09:04:35 pm »

I will say that I'm encouraged by the fact that they've been doing daily updates since launch, rapidly addressing outstanding issues. Also they have an ambitious roadmap of expecting to do major feature releases every 2 weeks for the next couple of months.

But yeah, right now it is rough around the edges and missing some major features. So I can understand the wait-and-see approach.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2021, 12:26:56 am »

I mean my trepidation doesn't really stem from the Devs themselves, theyre in the 99th percentile in terms of productivity and updates IMO--mostly I'm just not sure what the game is going to look like in a year or two. Big player stations? Cool places to inhabit? Fun events? or just PVP wasteland and miner's paradise?
Pages: 1 [2]