Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: What annoys you the most in DF?  (Read 20239 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What annoys you the most in DF?
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2021, 03:19:36 am »

Or else as per pinnipeds.

(Like I didn't say before: -ped relates to feet, leg relates to supportive[1] limbs, so you could argue centaurs as six-limbed (but four-legged) quadruped... So long as you group hooves as feet, which might depend upon how much you're a lumper or splitter at such a technical level.

[1] You may argue over sloths, now, whose limbs are adapted to be suspensive for so much of their life; thus four-armed (or some other classification) even beyond the most brachiating of omnigrasping primates.

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2021, 09:34:24 am »

Cooking and how food preferences are handled.

1. Cooking
It is possible in theory to make dorfs actually use 4 different ingredients, but it needs rather extreme measures to guarantee this. 30% of my dorfs are hauling food all the time.

2. Excessively specific food preferences without any chance to satisfy them properly.
Or do you have were-orca-liver-gills lying around? Well, good for you!

I really wish we could have a noble profession like "chef", who oversees kitchens and gives you the ability to specify exactly what is getting cooked or letting you specify meals in a meaningful way, like "1. ingredient: liver; 2. ingredient: any crocodile eggs; 3. ingredient Giant Alpaca fat 4. ingredient: any alcohol".

I really love the thought of my dorfs eating only the very best stuff.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2022, 07:35:50 pm »

The list of artifacts is not searchable or sortable, and grows too long because named weapons included.

Beds don't show if they are assigned or free unless you query them individually.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2022, 11:58:13 am »

Maksdwarves climbing over fortifications. I know that you can build fortifications in a way that prevents climbing, but that should not be necessary.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2022, 06:48:48 pm »

That goblins build these annoting ditches around their towers. Making it to the tower is harder than killing the goblins when you finally get there!

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2022, 11:59:30 am »

FPS loss. Feeling pressured to build around minimizing performance loss instead of being more individualistic.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2022, 12:34:28 pm »

Not to disregard your own feelings about this, but you really don't notice decreasing FPS when you spend most of your time with the game effectively paused whilst micromanaging stuff... ;)

(Not sure I ever did anything to mitigate the issue. In fact, my default archetecture probably causes significant routing slowdown, from what I've heard from those that notice these things...)

victor11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2022, 11:08:06 pm »

The most annoying thing is the issues with Burrows. No matter what you do, you won't find a neat way to use burrows to solve that hauling problem.

Shazial

• Bay Watcher
  • *hic*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2022, 01:23:28 am »

To many it's probably just a minor thing, but when you want to build individual bedrooms to your hundreds of little Urists, bags and chests being in the same build category is quite frustrating. To me, it doesn't even really make sense when it comes to over all mechanics of the game, since the chests are only used in something if they are built first, and the bags are one of the most used commodities2, going around the fortress in multiple industries. Okay, both are containers, but cages and cabinets are also containers and have their own designations.

Okay it's probably not my biggest annoyance, but it's something that I keep running into quite frequently and feels like it could be more intuitive. It's annoying trying to find my few handfuls of masterful chests in the ocean of bags. It'd be neat if it had a split path, kind of like Meeting area ones, e.g. b-h-c for chests, and b-h-b for bags.
I'm surrounded by lunatics who don't even need a moon.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2022, 08:12:57 am »

Okay it's probably not my biggest annoyance, but it's something that I keep running into quite frequently and feels like it could be more intuitive. It's annoying trying to find my few handfuls of masterful chests in the ocean of bags. It'd be neat if it had a split path, kind of like Meeting area ones, e.g. b-h-c for chests, and b-h-b for bags.

Fully agreed. Can't count the number of times where I had furbished 10 or so rooms with sand bags.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mouthiest of Breathers
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2022, 08:52:10 pm »

The same thing that annoys me in any game with workflows...

Logistics.

Granted, Dwarf Fortress is one of the better games at handling logistics, but it's still super annoying.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2022, 09:47:15 am »

On slabs, when a dwarf has died from NOT completing an artifact, it still says "creator of <Artifact>".  WTH?  They died from going berzerk or depression because it DIDNT happen! Why lie?  Easy enough to just leave that off the slab altogether.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2022, 06:19:22 pm »

Maksdwarves climbing over fortifications. I know that you can build fortifications in a way that prevents climbing, but that should not be necessary.
I stay away from marksdwarves for that reason.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2022, 05:01:21 am »

Giving up the creative freedom and development speed of pure ascii. But maybe i'll be wrong with that. We'll see.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2022, 05:35:39 am »

...well, fake ASCII(ish), in the default circumstance.

Based on that, what annoys me most (apartbfrom anything else legitimate that I may have previously mentioned) is that it apparently needs to be upgraded this way. Why can't it both have a mass-appeal and be a niche product?

...but the reasoning behind the current aims and the path it leads us down isn't much to do with the core game.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5