Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: What annoys you the most in DF?  (Read 20247 times)

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
Re: What annoys you the most in DF?
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2022, 08:41:32 am »

No fast travel in underworld despite terrain potentially having similair traversity difficulties to surface world. Basically underworld exploration takes so long. Openess 100 and 0 density caverns do not enable fast travel.

At least fast travel could be restricted to not occur between caverns due to different depths between 1 and 3.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

TheYeIIowDucK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2022, 05:24:52 pm »

As someone who enjoys the storytelling aspect of the game, especially in Adventure Mode, I have a few things:
  • The sheer level of randomness to names of sites, objects, groups, civilizations and even hisfigs.
    Like, a massive castle by the sea should be called something like Bayprotect, Stoneport or even Hard Rock Keep. Maybe it should be named after the individual who named it, so Urist's Citadel or something. Whatever the case, it should not called Gravelshields.
    I understand the world is procedurally generated, but surely there must be ways to limit the randomness to something that makes a bit more sense? Book names actually sound pretty good (and I seem to notice them being at least somewhat related to their contents), so can't we retroactively impose that sort of system to worldgen stuff and artifacts?
  • The names are all random, but they are not very varied. As it stands right now, the game throws way too many names at you, and all the names are uniformly nonsensical and follow the same boring structure of [FIRST WORD][SECOND WORD] or The [X] of [Y]. Doing something to curtail the sheer quantity while adding more interesting name forms would go a long way towards making DF worlds feel more natural.
  • The dialogue system is just awful, for any one of numerous (both technical and aesthetic) reasons. It's awkward to use, the text is all very stilted, the options often make no sense in-context, people have no real sense of personality or emotion to them, etc. It's hard to imagine this being a living, breathing fantasy world when it is inhabited solely by lifeless automatons who don't even really do anything but stand around (often away from where they logically should).

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2022, 12:48:30 am »

Stealthed units (notably many necromancer minions) being completely undetectable and therefore invincible to the player in Adventure Mode.

It's been an outstanding bug for over two years and kind of seems like it would be important to fix for the Steam release.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2022, 06:42:19 am »

Stealthed units (notably many necromancer minions) being completely undetectable and therefore invincible to the player in Adventure Mode.

I've been lucky and avoided this one, but then again I mostly play fort mode.

Which reminded me that it's annoying to switch between fort and adventure mode with all the issues retiring/unretiring causes. The biggest being: overflowing magma tubes & volcanoes (essentially making volcano forts unplayable if you plan to retire/unretire), and all the numerous visitors/merchants listed as hostile who don't leave the map.

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2022, 01:10:10 pm »

Undead Cave Crocodiles.     

Just as the last of the wall is about to be finished:

Urist McFisherDwarf cancels Fish.
Ñ
Still an active reader of the forums.

The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2022, 04:16:27 pm »

I ask to you all a single question. What annoys you the most in Dwarf Fortress. It may be a mechanic, an issue, a flaw you percieve. Anything.
  Here's my list of game flaws which should be a top priority:
1. The dwarves NEED their AI programming improved so players are not wasting time in DFHack:
A) Dwarves should be smart enough to equip military gear even if it means the dwarf removes the weakest clothing currently worn which is stopping them from completing this action.
B) Players should not be micro-managing the replacement and disposal of clothes.  Add a new "trash can" into the game which can be built where dwarves drop off old clothes which are burned at the end of a season.
C) The creatures and nature itself should naturally eat (destroy) remains of dead animals or creatures on the map.  Stealthy thieves should naturally take any weapons or armor left by the dead enemies which have been ignored by the player.  Players should not be spending their time as the cleaning maid for *everything* on the entire map.
D) Military dwarves should not be dropping their food inside their bedrooms which eventually rots and causes miasma.
E) Maksdwarves climbing over fortifications or Maksdwarves not standing against fortifications during battles.
F) Dwarven citizens trying to collect items outside the gates above ground and below ground when one or more dangerous enemies exist.  The game should estimate a danger level of any threat... wandering alligators should be a threat level 2 whereas a pack of undead elephants should be a threat level 8.  The player then can choose how normal dwarven citizens behave and how dwarven military behave for this at the start of the game and modify later if desired.

2. The game is called dwarf fortress where the main game has dwarves building fortresses and castles... yet siege attacks from enemies do not bring siege weapons?!??
Let us see the enemies break our gates with battering rams or shatter the walls with catapults!!  How a game could brilliantly provide so many great features yet miss something so basic is baffling.  If this exists as a MOD then I would be very interested in the name.

3. The evolution of weapons and armor in Dwarf Fortress is brief and limited.  Dwarves start the game building crossbows, but that's where it ends since siege weapons really can't be carried.  Players can buy bows and find blow darts which are overall weaker but no real incentive for them.  The only additional depth is what metals will the player need to pickup from trading. The time for crafting better quality is not very important.  I should probably ask around on the forums what MODS will provide more interesting options for my dwarves and for my enemies.

4. The game needs more world events, for example:
A) Earthquakes, Meteor showers (many small flaming metals(super_rare) and rocks), Volcanic eruptions, Hurricane, Tornadoes, Tsunami, Asteroid(One Giant rock with random metal inside).  These should be very rare such as once every 30 years.

B) World Champion Arena Event:  Each city will send a good warrior (not the best & not the worst) to compete for a special reward and title.  The reward might be a piece of land or an artifact or a random war animal, etc., etc., .

C) Some method or way of seeing where large armies of allies and enemies have been traveling.  Let the player send out multiple scouts which provide this information.

D) Joining allies to attack a common enemy and also enemies joining forces to attack the player.   The player should be allowed to at least watch battles from far away.

etron

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2022, 01:55:21 pm »

Bins, sometimes  ;D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 01:58:33 pm by etron »
strange mood

DrudeFiegler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2022, 07:43:36 am »

Re-doing orders and uniform from one fort to another. At some point, I know that i want all my gems cut, all my metals ore smelts, an ongoing production of pot/bin/crafts and so on. I'd very like being able to copy my orders from a previous game, and tweak them ^^

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2022, 08:06:01 am »

Re-doing orders and uniform from one fort to another. At some point, I know that i want all my gems cut, all my metals ore smelts, an ongoing production of pot/bin/crafts and so on. I'd very like being able to copy my orders from a previous game, and tweak them ^^

Have you tried Macros?
Still an active reader of the forums.

The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2022, 06:38:59 am »

Okay it's probably not my biggest annoyance, but it's something that I keep running into quite frequently and feels like it could be more intuitive. It's annoying trying to find my few handfuls of masterful chests in the ocean of bags. It'd be neat if it had a split path, kind of like Meeting area ones, e.g. b-h-c for chests, and b-h-b for bags.

And that's not the only problem caused by bags and chests being the same item type. When you start creating job manager orders to make bags because you're setting up milling and glassmaking, chests can interfere with the conditions for those orders. There's a workaround of adding the sewn-imageless trait - always false for chests - to the available items that the condition is counting, but it's not perfect. There's always a possibility that you could end up with some bags that do have sewn images - usable for milling and glassmaking, but not included in the count so the job manager order will make more bags than you wanted.

DrudeFiegler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2022, 07:08:49 am »

Have you tried Macros?

Nope. I'm always forgetting this functionality exists. Guess I'm still too traumatized from my early Excel days to use this in a game ^^.  But yeah, it should solve a bit of the problem.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2022, 12:19:57 pm »

A macro has a limit of being repeated 99 times at most if I realize correctly. It could be extended to unspecified. Would greatly help with crossbow training in adventure mode (I never use it but killers of some titans or clowns would find it a life saver).
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]