Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: What annoys you the most in DF?  (Read 20277 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: What annoys you the most in DF?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2021, 03:28:47 pm »

Oh awesome, how didn't I know about that? Wish it was more obvious but still, thanks a whole lot!
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2021, 05:43:21 pm »

For me it's FPS death[...]
Same here, my PC is already trash, the way the game slogs at 300~400 dwarves is simply unbearable, yet I still do it. Must have complete set of 24 squads and all industries, or embark not completed.
Honestly half the bugs are already features in themselves and part of the mechanics. Let's all pray The Great One keeps on his work eternal.
In a time before time, I had a name.

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2021, 09:48:19 am »

What annoys me the most? That'd have to be the "two rules of burrows":
  • No, you haven't found a neat way to use burrows to solve that hauling problem.
  • If you think you've found an exception to rule 1, burrows don't work that way.

qualiyah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2021, 02:04:08 pm »

I think the issues with burrows might also be what annoys me most. Burrows sound in theory so promising for so many purposes, and they're really necessary for dealing with danger. But the way they work isn't ideal, plus there are odd bugs, like when dwarves start spamming 100 job cancellations per second because they want to pick something up that's currently located outside the burrow, or because they happen to be carrying a book.

The other main candidate is military issues. It's a huge hassle getting archers to actually practice, and then there's no way to get them to actually function as archers without locking them in a room with no possible way they can reach the enemy. There's no way to tell soldiers to stand their ground even after seeing an enemy. When you station a squad somewhere, then change your mind and station them somewhere else, they'll still insist on finishing their trek to the first place (which you decided not to have them go to for a reason!!) before heading to the new location. I just hate losing soldiers to stupid crap like that.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2021, 03:14:21 pm »

Other than FPS death, bin/container issues. Edit: Tasked items in general, really. Workshop completes a mechanism or furniture, but you've got to wait (or pause, forbid, unforbid) because your fort has stockpiles.

The game should differentiate between items tasked for use and those simply tasked to be hauled.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 12:58:26 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2021, 11:29:02 pm »

FPS death for me. After that, the trade window. After that, loading minecart shotguns is a dreadfully tedious affair.

Alternative third: There's a bug that's been in the game since syndromes were introduced that if any syndrome effect has less than a 100% chance of occurring, and the syndrome is still active when you save/load the game, it immediately increases that effect to 100% upon load.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 11:31:30 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2021, 07:02:19 am »

Tasked items in general, really. Workshop completes a mechanism or furniture, but you've got to wait (or pause, forbid, unforbid) because your fort has stockpiles.
Yes, furniture stockpiles nearly always lead to the "furniture double consumption" problem. Build one bed and two beds are tasked - the one you chose to build and the one to be hauled from the workshop to the space that the one you chose left in the stockpile.
The game should differentiate between items tasked for use and those simply tasked to be hauled.
Ideally, non-hauling jobs should be allowed to steal items from hauling jobs without restriction - one "Urist McHauler cancels store item in stockpile - job item misplaced" is better than a hundred "Urist McCarpenter cancels construct bed - needs logs".

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2021, 04:19:38 pm »

Old bugs that don't get fixed.
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2021, 01:32:11 am »

Teeth and digits being knocked out/torn off in combat. It creates the kind of mess that can be a bitch to clean up cause they can end up in all kinds of weird places (up in trees, in fortifications, in rivers...) and any corpse bit that belongs to a sentient runs the risk of causing problems either with your dwarves or with (primarily) traders, who might freak out at the sight of some elf's severed toe and scuttle their wagon for some mystical reason.

And using blunt-weapon militias doesn't help, since they seem to always be determined to make up for the lack of severed limbs, toes, heads, and fingers by systematically knocking the teeth out of every other enemy before killing them in my games.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2021, 06:50:44 pm »

It isn't a Dwarven Fortress (tm) unless it is sprinkled with severed body parts.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2021, 10:26:09 pm »

Ideally, non-hauling jobs should be allowed to steal items from hauling jobs without restriction - one "Urist McHauler cancels store item in stockpile - job item misplaced" is better than a hundred "Urist McCarpenter cancels construct bed - needs logs".
At first glance, I was thinking this sounds like a good solution, but what sort of FPS overhead would it add? You would have jobs that searched for a valid non-TSK'd item, didn't find one, then searched the TSK'd item lists for items that are TSK'd by "hauling" jobs. Also, it does not take into account that the cancelled "hauling" job might have been bringing the item from a long distance away (now your carpenter is walking far to get the log, or worse, your mason is walking far to carry some granite back without a wheelbarrow).

Rather than cancel a hauling job so the item can be TSK'd for a construction job, what about having the construction job recognize that "no valid items are available but I see one that is currently TSK'd"? So the job would generate a "this job is waiting for that hauled item" announcement and then the construction/craft job pauses until that item is available or some short time span expires. I think this is a lot of work to handle those "job cancelled because no item" announcements, because really the player;s planning is to blame, but having a job "wait" for another job seems better than having a job "cancel" another job.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2021, 02:07:15 am »

For me it's FPS death, my first time playing DF I tought this game couldn't be that taxing, I read that the game could be taxing, but I tought it was only if it was pushed to it's limits, I was so enamored with my vision of what this game could be, a game that doesn't cut corners and can simulate toughts with infinite worlds to explore just seemed like a dream, so I picked a large world with a large 5x5 embark and didn't even touch the init settings except setting the fps limiter to 0. I soon found out about FPS death and stress mechanics.

It isn't exactly a flaw that just how things are with videogames, any game will push your computer to it's limits if you push it, like spawning too much stuff on minecraft or wanting to place every tankyard in Oblivion in a single place, I didn't know what I was thinking would happen, it's just that most games try to stop you from reaching that boundary, DF didn't do that.
Yes, FPS death is the single worst thing about DF. For most games you have to really try, to get FPS at which the game is completely unplayable, but for worse desktops or laptops all it takes is a little breeding program or a decent-sized invasion to bring it to its knees, once you have 100 or so dwarves.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2021, 10:03:52 pm »

At first glance, I was thinking this sounds like a good solution, but what sort of FPS overhead would it add? You would have jobs that searched for a valid non-TSK'd item, didn't find one, then searched the TSK'd item lists for items that are TSK'd by "hauling" jobs.

It's probably not that significant. DF keeps a bunch of lists to narrow results down already.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2021, 06:35:12 pm »

Not being able to dock the DF window to the upper left corner of my screen, but having to use the mouse to drag it there is annoying.  It's easy to go too far and not far enough.  I play with 2 monitors, so I expand the view such that 1 monitor is the whole game world, with just the menu interface / mini-map spilling over to the right monitor.  Setting the window size is nice, but it always launches with it way too far down, not lined up with anything.  A fairly minor annoyance, yes, but it gets me every single time.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2021, 07:45:12 pm »

What annoys me the most? That'd have to be the "two rules of burrows":
  • No, you haven't found a neat way to use burrows to solve that hauling problem.
  • If you think you've found an exception to rule 1, burrows don't work that way.

Ah, good, you remind me of my 'big want' (being largely unbothered by all the UI/UX/FPS/etc complaints[1]), which is burrow-based.

Boolean recombination/set identity being possible to integrate defined subordinate burrows as part/the whole of further burrows....
If one could define (say) a sleeping burrow, once then AND/Union it into each job-based burrow, then it doesn't need editing again in each of those as you add/change bedroom layouts, just repaint the sleeping one.

Also painting the Caverns (as discovered) could be AND NOTted (Intersected only as its Complement) into further burrows like the safe-internal overall one (itself maybe derived from a composite) to re-exclude a gradually discovered area without so much fuss.

Just plain NOT/Compliment might be easier (even without the use in further ways) than burrowing corner-to-corner (X+Y+Z) and then unpainting the small bit to exclude from otherwise liberal policies on job locating.

There are various easy ways to disallow circular-dependencies, such as never allowing a child-burrow to be added that is already a known parent one/vice-versa. Or, perhaps with its own uses, quietly stop propagating (non-)membership just before any circularity produces paradoxical results. ;)

I've mentioned it several times, but not seen any sign of it being featured in. Maybe it'll get a Steam/non-Steam-version-of-Steam reveal, but until then I'm resigned to just doing it all myself, as now.

Truly, the lack of this is the closest thing to annoying I can think of (that isn't just a natural result of gameplay difficulty).

[1] But I didn't want to post just to say this, and someone else beat me to the "There is an Autosave" reply I might have made.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5