Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: The Colorless Home: Seaside Nightmare - Successor Thread  (Read 22513 times)

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
Re: The Colorless Home: Seaside Nightmare - Successor Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2021, 06:41:49 pm »

I am doing better overall. This time the game decided I needed even more trouble.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm going to make the infected a pen, and unleash them on a siege if it comes. Sadly, they include a legendary doctor.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2021, 06:54:11 pm »

I am doing better overall. This time the game decided I needed even more trouble.

I'm going to make the infected a pen, and unleash them on a siege if it comes. Sadly, they include a legendary doctor.

That should wreck most sieges.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2021, 09:47:54 pm »

Sadly the doctor died, I crushed one with a bridge by accident, and the last two killed each other upon untransforming the first time.  :(

So much for my grand plan to defend the fortress.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2021, 07:37:04 pm »

Sadly the doctor died, I crushed one with a bridge by accident, and the last two killed each other upon untransforming the first time.  :(

So much for my grand plan to defend the fortress.

And thus your dwarfy plan goes the way of most dwarfy plans.  :P

Best of luck with your next dwarfy plan To take over the world!

Or...good job exterminating the Heretics that infested your fortress.  The Emperor Approves, Loyal Commissar!  ;D

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2021, 10:23:39 pm »

Finally done with the year. I'm afraid I ran a few days over the first of Granite by accident. I'll try to write my story tomorrow, and post the save with it. I will not guarantee the quality of the story, but I can at least offer a save that doesn't crash this time.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2021, 12:57:53 am »

Our hero rises triumphant!  All hail fatcat__25!

Good job, especially considering the earlier time warp.

StrikaAmaru, you're up next.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2021, 01:06:57 am »

A warm wind blew from the North, rattling the branches of the dead crabapples, misting the land with spray from the ocean, and stirring the air deep into the mines as it roared over the stockade of The Colorless Houses. The Mayor, Stâkud Orbclasped, welcomed it joyfully. He had lived as an immortal for long enough that the days and weeks began to blend together. The changes of season still stood out, and the turn of the year, as Winter gave way to Spring, was his favorite. Each year seemed to fill him with new creativity and ideas, and give him new interest in is endless life.

Here, at The Colorless Houses, he had an entire village at his disposal, as its mayor, and his hope was to make this seaside outpost a center of learning for the world. Knowledge was one thing Stâkud's short-sighted fellow Necromancers could neither despise nor taint, as they had the land around their tower, a few hours walk north of the village. And so, with his goals set, the meticulous and short-tempered old wizard put his plans into action.

First, any proper center of civilization should have a network of streets, and Stâkud quickly designed an initial framework of broad roads, to be paved with split timber, to carry the traffic of The Colorless Houses.
These were quickly completed, aside from the interruptions of a Wereelephant and a Werelizard. Most of the victims of the the attacks died on the spot, but a few survived, and were consigned to a small shelter far from the rest of the settlement.

The unfortunate souls were so smitten by their fate that two of them threw themselves into the path of their shelter's gate as it closed, and the other two, while they handled their fate better, soon cracked and slew each other.

While the work on the surface progressed, the miners struck a great treasure.

Absentmindedly toying with the first nuggets in his office, Stâkud smiled, as he dreamt of the wonders the metalcrafters could shape from the yellow metal. Already other craftsdwarves were making their mark. One had already sunk into a strange mood, and produced a masterful stone crown, and two other citizens would soon seek to outdo his work.

Commerce, too boomed, as the elves,

humans,

and dwarves

all came to sell their wares. All left loaded with valuable goods, whether gems, or food prepared by Lolor, the village's brilliant cook. The human treasurer refused to meet anyone, much to Stâkud's anger, but the dwarven liaison delivered a list of requested goods, and told many stories of the outside world to the old Mayor.
Migrants came, too, hoping to make their mark on the frontier, and trailed in between banks of fog and days of rain blown in from the sea.

Throughout all of the bustle of day to day life, the wizard's grand project began to take shape. North of the stockade, a strong brick foundation was laid, a metal gate was built, and walls began to creep upwards. Here, overlooking the sea, Stâkud hoped a new center of learning would soon emerge.
The first floors would be devoted to halls for the various guilds established in The Colorless Houses, while higher up, his offices as Mayor would sit just below the library, which would crown both the building, and his dreams for the growing town. Only the fisherdwarves' hall would reside elsewhere, as a special hall was erected at the edge of the sea out of larch, to resist rot from water, with windows looking up and down the beach, to watch the tides and the surf.

Time flew over The Colorless Houses, and a dusting of snow over the incomplete second floor of guildhalls proclaimed the return of winter.

Soon after, the fisherdwarves' inlet froze over in a particularly cold spell, and vast packs of ice drifted in from the south, driven by frigid winds, and accompanied by sleet and freezing rain.

As spring approached, the seas cleared of ice, the coating of snow melted, and one day, a warm wind from the north once again proclaimed a new year, and a new spring. The mind of Stâkud Orbclasped once again filled with plans, both new and old, as he sought to find new interest in his life, as it stretched on into infinity.

Save:https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15642
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 12:58:48 pm by fatcat__25 »

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2021, 03:03:01 am »

Beautiful! Well done! I didn't know larch is moisture resistant, that's nice to know.

How's the hedgehog? ;P

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2021, 04:03:49 am »

Has the hedgehog become our mascot?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2021, 12:58:13 pm »

The hedgehog continues to watch all the goings in and out at the main gate from his pen.

Some technical notes: I labeled all the levers I built, I crudely automated brick production, and I sealed off entrances to all but the first cavern layer, which is guarded by cage traps. The fortress also has a ridiculous stock of cloth, so a clothing industry might not be out of place. I'll update my other post with the save now.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 06:29:25 pm by fatcat__25 »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2021, 12:43:17 pm »

Beautifully written play-through.

I've send a PM to our next Overseer, hopefully we'll here back soon.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2021, 10:16:18 am »

Oh hey, that's me! :D

Now to go re-read the whole thing and see what did I volunteer for a month ago...

[Edit] Not sure if the "ASCII and ASCII-like tilesets only" prohibition is still in effect; if it is, I'll be using Taffer's Tilesets & Graphics. If not, I'll return to Phoebus.

Also: Doren OiledWalls, the youngest member of the fort who's not an outright child, has been renamed to Amaru. He's been initially chosen because of age so I can play a wide-eyed idealist, but looking at his personality I may go on a militaristic bent instead: likes gauntlets, backpacks and does not care about fairness. Completing the militaristic lifestyle, he's also fond of horses for their strength; honestly, went around looking for Ghandi and found Ghenghis Khan...

I'm a bit surprised to find myself playing year FOUR, not three (300 was year 1, so 303 is 4). I am the third overseer after hedgerow and fatcat__25, so I guess hedgerow played 2 years? No, wait; year 2 was played by EuchreJack; sorry. As an aside, neither EuchreJack or fatcat have in-game avatars.

[Edit2] After looking at the screen for ~3 hours, I gotta admit ASCII is not working for me; ow my eyeballs. I'll go back to Phoebus...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 01:38:05 pm by StrikaAmaru »
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2021, 08:24:46 pm »

Neither of us dwarfed ourselves. I don't know EuchreJack's reason, but I decided I could do more interesting things without a specific character to my name.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2021, 04:13:18 am »

[Edit2] After looking at the screen for ~3 hours, I gotta admit ASCII is not working for me; ow my eyeballs. I'll go back to Phoebus...

Phoebus, or whatever tile set your eyeballs like, is fine.  We did away with the tileset restrictions.

And my misuse of the word "Here" instead of "Hear" is immortalized for all eternity.  Oh well.

Nice choice on the avatar StrikaAmaru.  Brief correction: Hedgerow didn't dwarf themselves, it was I that named our illustrious Overseer dwarf Hedgerow.  Back when there was an Overseer dwarf (the position was a rename of the Expedition Leader, so it went away when we got the Mayor.  The custom job title may still remain, however).

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2021, 05:53:21 am »

Year 4 (303)

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

Spring
Most overseers have reasons to aim for the position, and I’m no exception. Some have a project that won’t leave their thoughts. Others have a grievance with their fort, and aim to correct the perceived error. Others just want power and don’t have any kind of specific goal. And some don’t choose at all, being forced into the position by their peers.

Me, I guess I’m a mix of 1 and 2. To cut a long story short, we’re sitting ducks, and somebody needs to fix that; since nobody else took any significant steps, might as well be me.

There are multiple were-cursed around, with several different were-curses; they’re probably going to attack us. There are multiple towers around; they’re probably going to attack us. There are some goblins in weird positions -- maybe independent, maybe taken over by the towers; either way, they’re probably going to attack us.

If you’re expecting this work to be a masterwork of philosophy or rhetoric, you’ll be disappointed. I’m here to do a job, and to tell you how and why I did it. If you’re looking for some spectacular epic filled with gripping combat where champions face each other in honorable combat, you’ll also be disappointed; I’m of the firm belief the point of a fight is to win it, not win honorably by fighting ‘fair’, whatever that is supposed to mean.

This might be judged rude, and maybe not without reason. But try to see this from my own perspective: in all likelihood, you and I will never meet, and your opinion isn’t going to ever reach me. Do you know what will reach me? Burying my own. Half my extended family is here, if anyone thinks I’m going to sit around and get killed by undead abominations, they’re out of their mind.

So at the start of spring, here I am as overseer, poring over official documents.

The surface can be sealed from all enemies that don’t climb or fly. I question the wisdom of making a giant pit as the nexus of our fortress, but that’s for later. For now, I’d like to lay down a few cages. We have exactly 4 mechanisms, so a plan emerges -- I’ll build four emergency traps in the entry corridor. This means we’ll definitely need to move the trade depot by summer, but that’s all the way in summer.

The big project for my year is, of course, the military.

Luckily for us, we have a spectacularly large number of citizens with military skill; in a fort of 83 adults, there are exactly 13 who don’t know how to wield a weapon (funnily, two of them are enlisted in the current military squad, the Iron Fists). Here are the unfiltered numbers, with overlapping skills (meaning, if one citizen has skill with hammer, mace and sword, then s/he was counted 3 times):

Axe: 7 (3 overlaps)
Hammer: 7 (4 overlaps)
Mace: 9 (8 overlaps)
Spear: 19 (10 overlaps)
Swords: 29 (13 overlaps)
Bows: 19 (19 overlaps)
Crossbows: 20 (10 overlaps)

Right now, we are held back by the availability of weapons, not soldiers.

And weapons in turn are held back by the availability of metals. So far, the fort has only located galena and tetrahedrite as weapons-grade metals. There is doubtlessly some adamantine in the bowels of the earth, but no sane fort relies on it for all defensive needs.

At least for swords we can rely on obsidian; none was found ready-made, but it is surprisingly easy to create from magma and water, and geography makes things very easy for us too:

Level -6, the bottom of the third cavern:

Magma shouldn’t be much further down either; a staircase has previously stopped at level -10, due to finding hot stone underneath. A few exploratory tunnels later, and the magma sea is found. Its highest point is on level -11:

The obsidian farm itself will be made in the simplest way possible: a two-level room on levels -10 and -11, allowing it to be filled with both water and magma by sheer gravity. The only thing I really need to be careful with is to close the magma sea with a magma-safe grate, and two magma-safe mechanisms. The rest can be whatever.

(ooc: this is the point where I more or less went FUCK IT and changed back to Phoebus… I do NOT get along with ASCII tilesets, they make my eyes hurt. I tried, it didn’t work, I’m glad it was not mandatory).

Above on the surface, some sort of protective structures have to be made. At minimum, I’d want a palisade to surround our above ground buildings and farms. They’ll come in handy when goblins or towers pay us a visit.

Lastly, there’s all the minor issues inherent in running a fort: clothing is starting to wear out and should probably be handled better, drink stocks need to be replenished, two people are unhappy, we have three guild requests to honor, and so on.

The last one at least can be handled easily; not only do we have some statues ordered by my predecessor, but we also started accumulating artifacts; it would be simplicity itself to throw down a pedestal in each guild and display one of the fort’s treasures in it. In fact, I should do that right away.

303-01-12 Two new arrivals have ‘graced’ us today: the elven caravan and a mountain titan in the vague shape of a snail.

Surprisingly, the latter did not attack the former; instead, it picked on a muskox that was closer and started lobbing spitballs at it. Reasonably lethal spitballs, to be fair. The elves, who had front-row seats for the spectacle, did the sensible thing and fled.

This whole silliness allowed us dwarves enough time to rush indoors, and raise the bridge. The Iron Fists were allowed three days to assemble in front of the closed bridge; then the bridge was lowered back down, and our brave unarmored soldiers were ordered to intercept the beast on a bend, where hopefully its ranged attack would not be as devastating.

We won immediately. I should have had more trust.

Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7