Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: The Colorless Home: Seaside Nightmare - Successor Thread  (Read 22383 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
The Colorless Home: Seaside Nightmare - Successor Thread
« on: August 03, 2021, 09:38:47 am »

The Colorless Home
A Seaside Nightmare
Successor Thread

Previous topic here

Your Mayor:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My thanks to my fellow dwarves, fatcat_25 for taking over that wreck of a fortress and AvolitionBrit for taking over sight unseen.

And Acipenser for playing in the past, hopefully future, and giving us something to talk about.

And StrikaAmaru, whom has played in the past and also hopefully will be tempted in the future.

And of course Hedgerow, our inspirational founder.

Current Save: End of Year Seven

Year One

Year Two: First Half
Year Two: Second Half

Year Three

Year Four: The Beginning
Year Four: Spring Part 2
Year Four: Part 3
Year Four: End of a Successful Year

Year Five: Part 1
Year Five: Part 2

Year Six

Year Seven

World Trivia Regarding Goblin Civs
Animal Preferences for some of our Dwarves (totally optional)

Code: (Current Players List) [Select]
EuchreJack [Active Overseer???]
fatcat__25
AvolitionBrit
Acipenser

RULES Suggestions:
Ideally, the turn would be completed in 14 days, although I didn't follow that one.  Let's say roughly two weeks?

EuchreJack's Rule: If anything happens to the Tame Hedgehog, you have to report on it.  I don't care if you butcher and eat it, keep it as a pet, put it in a Tome with Coordinator Hedgerow then drop the ceiling on them both, or anything else, you have to tell us what happens to it.  You should also prioritize acquiring more.
Breaking this rule means very little however.  :P

Now accepting new Overseers in the waitlist!  Step up and take command of an ambitious little fort!  We survived our first Goblin "Siege" and everything!
Blut und nicht Eisen!

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
Re: The Colorless Home: Seaside Nightmare - Successor Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 12:33:51 pm »

PTW, also I'd like to apologise for the backseat gaming wrt pets

You know what? Add me to the player queue, I should have time to play a year and do the write-up by then. :D

Is there anything to keep in mind regarding init.txt?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 02:19:27 pm »

Added!  Glad to have another player!

Uh, not aware of anything regarding init.txt

I actually enjoyed the advice regarding pets, which is why I included it.  It'll be out of date with the newest save, but I thought it worth documenting "for now".
Might even inspire some purchases of pets for some dwarves, I dunno.  Assuming most of them survive...

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 12:43:13 am »

Minor, non-story update:
1: The hedgehog seems to be fine.

2: There is somehow a hive of wild bees out in the ocean. Don't ask me how that works.

3: I have taken colorless in the sense that everything is going to be the color of soil or dead grass, so it blends in to the surroundings. Lots of wooden and brick construction, or perhaps I should just use unbaked clay for the surface structures. Not sure yet.

4: I'm going to attempt to write a bit of a story about my year, at the end of it. This world is a mess. Necromancers everywhere.

5: WEREBISON!!

This will be rather !FUN!
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 04:52:59 am »

PTW
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 04:58:41 am »

Ptw too

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 01:30:04 pm »

This world is a mess. Necromancers everywhere.
Indeed. I added a picture of our illustrious Mayor to the OP...

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2021, 11:31:19 pm »

Are werebeasts traveling while transformed known to cause crashes? The game is currently crashing reliably about 5 seconds after my latest save, about when I would predict two dwarves I sent out on a raid just as they were transforming into werebeasts should return. I'll try upload the save, if people interested in troubleshooting are interested.

EDIT: Here is the bugged save:https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15631
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 09:06:29 pm by fatcat__25 »
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2021, 08:39:31 am »

Are werebeasts traveling while transformed known to cause crashes? The game is currently crashing reliably about 5 seconds after my latest save, about when I would predict two dwarves I sent out on a raid just as they were transforming into werebeasts should return. I'll try upload the save, if people interested in troubleshooting are interested.

I could not get the game to produce any error message (including errorlog.txt and stderr.txt), nor otherwise narrow down the issue.

Amazingly, Retire/Unretire also results in a crash upon unretiring. I'd guess it's a military/equipment corruption but supposedly those show up in errorlog.txt?

Acipenser

• Bay Watcher
  • "I love the smell of magma in the morning."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2021, 08:43:33 am »

Are you still open for players? I’m interested in joining the queue, it seems like a fun fort.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2021, 06:52:30 pm »

Are you still open for players? I’m interested in joining the queue, it seems like a fun fort.

Absolutely, assuming we can get a working save... :P

I could not get the game to produce any error message (including errorlog.txt and stderr.txt), nor otherwise narrow down the issue.

Amazingly, Retire/Unretire also results in a crash upon unretiring. I'd guess it's a military/equipment corruption but supposedly those show up in errorlog.txt?

Some brief research on bugs with Missions revealed crash as a corruption of military equipment, might be related?  But yeah, sending off werebeasts while transformed sounds like something that would break the game.

Any ideas on how to "fix" this? I'm thinking killing the offending dwarves in adventure mode, or would that lead to another crash?

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2021, 09:52:49 pm »

Absolutely, assuming we can get a working save... :P

If I have to, I'll just restart, to keep the fort going. I would much rather get the save to work, though, if possible. I'm no good at troubleshooting these kinds of things, so I won't be much help. It might be good if I put this one on the bug tracker.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2021, 04:07:55 pm »

Experiment #1: Start as Adventurer at The Colorless Houses.  Crash.

While experimenting with retiring, creating an Adventurer and goofing off elsewhere, then unretiring, I started playing as this fine chap:

This save MUST continue...

Experiment #2: Retire, play as Adventurer somewhere else, then Unretire. Crash.

Only option left is to try Abandoning then reclaiming.  Unknown if it will work.

Experiment #3: Abandon, play as Adventurer somewhere else, then Reclaim. Crash.

I'm afraid the save is unsalvageable, far as I can determine.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2021, 12:25:21 am »

Experiment #1: Start as Adventurer at The Colorless Houses.  Crash.

While experimenting with retiring, creating an Adventurer and goofing off elsewhere, then unretiring, I started playing as this fine chap:

This save MUST continue...

Experiment #2: Retire, play as Adventurer somewhere else, then Unretire. Crash.

Only option left is to try Abandoning then reclaiming.  Unknown if it will work.

Experiment #3: Abandon, play as Adventurer somewhere else, then Reclaim. Crash.

I'm afraid the save is unsalvageable, far as I can determine.

:(
I guess I'll have to restart, unless someone else is impatient, in which case I can move down a turn. I reported the crash on the bug tracker.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2021, 01:25:37 pm »

Thanks fatcat__25.  It's a shame, but appears unavoidable.

Whatever you want to do is fine with me.  It can be soul crushing to lose all that work, but maybe you can do "better" the second time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7