Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: The Colorless Home: Seaside Nightmare - Successor Thread  (Read 22377 times)

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
Re: The Colorless Home: Seaside Nightmare - Successor Thread
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2021, 01:23:55 am »

The Hedgehog is alive and well, sitting in its cage built in front of the bridge. It could be pastured somewhere, but I'd seriously recommend against it -- as long as it's in the cage, it's practically invulnerable to all things (except fire, come to think of it).

As for the crashes, the problem may have been some arcane bug inside DF, or just competition for resources on my laptop; I've had random crashes before when I was running DF and some other programs, which is why when I start playing I keep only DF on. But since this is a work laptop, it has policies that aren't under my control; if the antivirus, for instance, decides to rise from its slumber and hog all resources for a few minutes, I can't just tell it to please fuck off. It's been a problem in other cases -- demos especially.
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2021, 03:59:19 am »

Hooray!  Mighty spires shall pierce the pale dead brown.

I just noticed I'm next in the turn order.  Unfortunately life is getting busy for me, thus I'd rather surrender my turn, thereby passing it to Acipenser.  I'm sorry for the short notice.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2021, 09:33:45 pm »

Hooray!  Mighty spires shall pierce the pale dead brown.

I just noticed I'm next in the turn order.  Unfortunately life is getting busy for me, thus I'd rather surrender my turn, thereby passing it to Acipenser.  I'm sorry for the short notice.

Alright, I sent a PM to Acipenser.

Sorry about the crashes StrikaAmaru, but glad to hear that its more likely your computer than the save.  I'm pretty sure I had the save crash once on me during my playthrough, which is typical for DF saves.  Let us know if you decide you'd like a turn in the future.

Fatcat__25, up for another turn? After or before me, doesn't matter.

Mobbstar, assuming Acipenser takes over your turn, would you be interested in being placed at the back of the line?  Maybe you'll have time then.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2021, 09:49:51 pm »

I'd be up for a turn after you. Perhaps I can build the library I had planned then.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2021, 10:09:00 pm »

I'd be up for a turn after you. Perhaps I can build the library I had planned then.

Great, I've added you to the list.

I got confirmation from Acipenser via PM that they're going to play the next turn.

Acipenser

• Bay Watcher
  • "I love the smell of magma in the morning."
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2021, 02:48:33 am »

Hi guys! I'm sorry for my delay in posting, real life got in the way a bit. I'll have the first half of the year posted in a few hours. Thank you for your patience.

Acipenser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2021, 06:14:10 am »

I'm having some trouble linking the screenshots. Is there a guide for posting images on this forum?

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2021, 06:51:06 am »

I'm having some trouble linking the screenshots. Is there a guide for posting images on this forum?

Simply put a valid image file URI into the image tags like so:
Code: [Select]
[img]https://example.cdn/images/0123456789abcdef.png[/img]
The tricky part is uploading the images somewhere. The forum offers no upload, so you need to use an external provider. For example imgur or Discord.

Acipenser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2021, 07:00:32 am »

Simply put a valid image file URI into the image tags like so:
Code: [Select]
[img]https://example.cdn/images/0123456789abcdef.png[/img]
The tricky part is uploading the images somewhere. The forum offers no upload, so you need to use an external provider. For example imgur or Discord.

Yeah, the hosting is the issue I'm having. I've never hosted an image online before. I'll see what I can do.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2021, 07:19:08 am »

I use the below site.  Have to make a free account, but that actually helps with keeping things organized.
https://imgbb.com/

Acipenser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2021, 07:28:46 am »

I use the below site.  Have to make a free account, but that actually helps with keeping things organized.
https://imgbb.com/
Thank You! I'll have the post up in no time.

Acipenser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2021, 09:27:45 am »

Year 5

Spring

Ah, Spring. And with it, a new year and new possibilities. We've had little need of a justice system so far, but you never know when it'll come in handy. Ether way, I’m setting one up. I have found a wonderfully useless dwarf (Medtob Zuntîrlek) to serve as our new Captain of the Guard. She seams pretty happy with the job. I am building her office and the fortress guard’s barracks down in the caverns next to the looms. That way she and her lackeys can provide some protection for our weavers while also dealing with crime. Two birds with one stone.

In other news, elves have arrived. I’ll be honest, they didn’t bring much. Not even a hedgehog. I bought some hazelnuts and sent them on there way.

Isn’t this a bounty! We got tame bear cubs. Three of ‘em! Oh, the horrifying things we will do to our enemies when these guys get older. I'm hoping we'll eventually be able to give each fortress guard a war bear mount. But that's in the future and we have more pressing issues at the moment.

We have a chronic housing shortage. Some of these dwarves haven't slept in a bed in nearly half a decade. I have ordered some quick housing to be constructed immediately. It will serve for now, until we can get better housing. After that, We'll turn it into a storeroom. The traffic is an issue as well. This fortress is a maze of small winding passages. In an attempt to tame the madness, I have designated a project for a large shaft to be dug, connecting the whole fort and streamlining traffic. It'll go from the surface all the way down to the looms in the caverns. Protecting it will be an issue since it allows access to the rest of the fort. I'll look into covering it with traps. Also, Medtob, our new captain of the guard, has been complaining about her dining room not being valuable enough. I told some engineers to build a screw pump in there to raise the value. It actually worked.

I had no clue we even had a dead baby. It's floating around the trade depot and scarring the bejeezus out of everyone. A memorial is being carved as we speak.

The shaft is finally complete. Traffic flows much more smoothly now. I decided to decorate the top entrance of the shaft by covering it in golden hatch covers. In addition, on the central pillar, a statue of our mayor in solid gold has been erected, so that we may always be reminded of his wise leadership. In other news, our mayor has mandated the construction of 3 more earrings.

to be continued. . .
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 09:31:35 am by Acipenser »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2021, 04:44:53 pm »

Good job!

War bears.  What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...except Bears, they'll just kill you.  The perfect weapon to use on our enemies!

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2021, 05:12:03 am »

Bear cubs! Finally!

Their father is our resident war bear, and their mother is a wild grizzly bear that stumbled into one of our traps last spring. She was tamed, and chained in the grazing area. Here's to a full-blown bear cavalry!
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Acipenser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2021, 03:48:45 pm »

Summer

With spring behind us, I thought the rest of the year was going to be easy and hands off. This was a big mistake that would come back to bite me in the ass, repeatedly.

3rd of hematite, Captain of the Guard Medtub gets possessed and claims a craftsdwarf workshop. At this exact same time, one of our fisherdwarves that has become haggered by the nightmare that is her and life throws a tantrum in the tavern. She calmed down eventually, but punched many a respectable dwarf in the face. I’m glad I set up the justice system when I did. Unfortunately our captain of the guard is possessed so we’ll have to wait a bit until she can deal with this.

A few weeks latter a human caravan arrived with enough ore to sink a ship. Our smiths will be vary happy with this stuff. Medtob just finished her artifact (a wooden figurine) so she’s now off to sentence our tantrum prone fisherdwarf. The sentence was a beating and a month in prison. Unfortunately, Medtub didn’t have a hammer so she delivered a brutal beat down with her fists.

Spent most of the rest of the summer building bins to improve our storage. The Mayor also mandated one more earring.

After that just some minor house keeping as we coast into fall.

Autumn

Another moody dwarf. They just keep coming don’t they? He was caught by a fey mood and sized a carpenters workshop. He made pretty nifty little crutch.

The dwarven caravan arrived. We used them to unload some of our old socks for more ore. In moving our goods to the depot I may have accidentally released a cave troll. No worries though, It was struck down almost immediately by a macedwarf. Mayor banned the export of earrings again.

I’ve started construction on the new war bear pen. This will be a living and training area for our prospective army of war bears. It's situated near the entrance of the fortress so the bears can alert us of any intruders that try to enter the fort. Nothing will be able to stop us with these bears.

I'll be honest, there wasn't much this fall with the exception of a vary special surprise

And what do you know! Two more cubs. I swear armok has blessed this place.

Winter

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As the first snows of winter fell, they brought with them a host of vile darkness. Three dozen nightcreatures silently approached, their footsteps muffled by the newly fallen snow. These were Silvercastle’s Soldiers, vile four horned humanoids covered in sparse charcoal feathers. Before we even had time to pull the lever they were past the first gate. A few poor dwarfs were caught outside. They tried to run but were chased down and killed.

We managed to close the vary last gate before they got into the heart of the fortress, but at a terrible cost. Many civilians were killed, most tragically our mayor. He was surrounded and cut down on the spot. Not even his powers over life and death could save him. Almost our entire military has been slaughtered. They even breached the war bear pens. All the adult bears are dead, only 2 cubs survived. They are hiding out in an above ground tavern where the Silvercastle’s Soldiers haven’t found them yet.

Population is now 106. We are sealed off from the outside world until the siege lifts. Another necromancer was elected mayor and immediately mandated three spears. The Hedgehog is fine.

The remainder of the winter has been spent cleaning up the gore and massively expanding our catacombs. It is like a nightmare in here. Corridors choked in miasma, the floor slick with blood. In the midst of all this, a fisher dwarf has been possessed. He made a mitten.

But now it’s the 1st of granite and I’m off. I’ve managed to clean up most of the indoor miasma but we’re still under siege. Also, a forgotten beast made of snow wandered into the caverns but it got killed by a giant cave toad. Whoever takes over this god forsaken fortress next, you have my sympathies.

And with that, Here's the save: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15674

edit. I fixed the url
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 04:18:08 pm by Acipenser »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7