Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: The Colorless Home: Seaside Nightmare - Successor Thread  (Read 22381 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: The Colorless Home: Seaside Nightmare - Successor Thread
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2021, 11:03:15 pm »

Congrats and no clue.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2021, 04:58:27 pm »

The year is done. Now I need to find a chance to upload the save. I'll give a writeup with the save.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2021, 06:04:57 am »

Sign me up for a turn please
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2021, 09:44:00 am »

Sign me up for a turn please
Done!  Your turn is up when fatcat_25 posts the save.  Or were you looking for a later turn?

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2021, 07:26:38 pm »

Just waiting on the save from fatcat_25

Drunken scholar

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2021, 08:49:01 pm »

SAVE: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15766

Records of the Dwarven Colony, The Colorless Houses
Year 305
Glory and Honor be to the gods and King.

This year was begun under siege by the forces of those who would bring darkness to the world, and shame to the King, may he be Honored forever. Twisted creatures of goblin stock camped atop the mutilated bodies of those they had massacred at their first onslaught. Thankfully, their master bid them raise the blockade in early spring, before the elves came to trade. This year, few of our goods were fit for commerce with the tree lovers, and only a few goods of small value were purchased. Later in the year, however, the humans, and the caravan from the mountains both received much greater commerce, as truly tremendous quantities of goods were bought and sold, to the benefit of all. Worryingly, the King's liaison was absent from the caravan this year, and not a few of the citizens feared that some intrigue of the court had turned the King, may he be Honored forever, against the colony.

This suspicion merits no acceptance, particularly in light of the colony's faithful service of the Crown. In this year, this devotion was most obviously expressed by the act, undertaken by The Iron Fists, to rid the mountains of rebels.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A master of the dark arts has settled in an abandoned mountain hall, but had roughly refused to acknowledge the supremacy of the King, may he be Honored forever. His irreverence has received its just due at the hands of the soldiers of The Iron Fists.

Here in The Colorless Houses, two dwarves have distinguished themselves for the creation of a great artifact, two have taken new names, and one has quietly earned a place in ballads sung for years to come.
Spoiler: Artefacts (click to show/hide)
Early in the year, a quiet, cheerful peasant took the name Acipenser for himself. No scholar has been able to find a meaning behind this name, nor of Delphonso, adopted by Lolor Rushedgorge, the legendary cook.
Spoiler: Acipenser (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Delphonso (click to show/hide)
The dwarf most worthy of inclusion in these records, however, is one of the traders, who unarmed, and bereft of support of any companion, disabled a giant cave spider, and survived the potency of the monster's venom.

The Colorless Houses have seen several valuable new architectural endeavors over this year, which will serve well to enforce it as a bastion for the King's Honor. First, in light of the terrible losses suffered at the turn of the year, a pit was dug to dispose of the attackers, and the catacombs were vastly expanded for the dwarven fallen.
Spoiler: Catacombs (click to show/hide)
The next, and greatest, was an expansion of the great stockade. The enclosure stretches down to the sea, protecting the inner entrance, at least well enough to allow the citizenry to reach safety, and close the gates behind them.
Spoiler: Stockade (click to show/hide)
The last construction is viewed with very great doubt by the majority of the citizens. One of the citizens is known to be a dark wizard, and requested permission to attempt to revive some of the dead as the unnatural creatures known as Cold Corpses. He was grudgingly permitted to do so by the leaders of the fortress, and has thus far brought back two dwarves from whom the spirit had long departed.
Spoiler: Chambers (click to show/hide)

This year has ended much as it began. The Colorless Houses are beleaguered by unnaturally animated forces. Losses have been few, however, unlike last year, and except for one case, entirely due to one surprise attack, where the undead found a method by which they could launch themselves through or over the new expansion of the stockade. Now however, all is safe, and The Colorless Houses will survive another year as an outpost for the King, may he be Honored forever.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 10:27:34 pm by fatcat__25 »
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2021, 09:28:11 pm »

Amazing!  A truly glorious fortress!  My thanks to my fellow dwarves, fatcat_25 for taking over that wreck of a fortress and AvolitionBrit for taking over sight unseen.

And Acipenser for playing in the past, hopefully future, and giving us something to talk about.

And StrikaAmaru, whom has played in the past and also hopefully will be tempted in the future.

And of course Hedgerow, our inspirational founder.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2021, 09:22:06 am »

No worries, the fort will be in good hands. Looking forward to getting my hands on it at home. Hope I can complete my work in a year.

Drunken scholar

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2021, 07:39:09 pm »

Good job fatcat_25!

My apologies to Acipenser for any mean thoughts or words, as apparently the siege wasn't really that big a thing, and they did save a lot of dwarves with their quick action.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2021, 08:27:23 pm »

SAVE: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15770

Chapter 1 - Outside

The first of granite has arrived and I have been handed control of the fortress. I go up stairs and what do I see? We are still under siege outside.Great. Even looks like the lower western portion has been sealed off due to this siege. On the positive at least the ocean beehive is thriving over there. What is worse is just valuables and books just sitting out in the open. Extremely unacceptable, looks like i'm gonna have to kick some dwarven ass into gear. To commemorate this golden year i'm getting some gold coins made.

The Coins :

Update, news from the cavern. A forgotten beast has arrived. I got to look at it. Waste of my time. A steam blob. Its a fucking cloud. A child could beat it. Sent the captain of the guard to deal with it. Didn’t stand a chance. Additionally the first artifact of the year has been made. Sure it's a millstone but at least it's something.

Forgotten Beast Ana Snodub has come :
Artifact

Project Lebab is making great progress and most of this stage is complete.

Chapter 2 - Time Today

The first of Slate has arrived and as time progresses ive noticed we had muskmelon seeds, setting up a plot so we can capitalise on the melons. Might be useful to diversify our diets. Progress on project Lebab is progressing assigned a few more miners. Also it appears Kados Scarirons has requested to join our fortress as a full time citizen. ACCEPTED.

Chapter 3 - Only Acting

The first of Felsite and the near end of spring. Kubuk requests to join us this year. Perhaps after seeing Kados be accepted into our community. ACCEPTED. Currently the first stage of Project Lebab is behind. I'm acting to remedy this by assigning a few more miners. We are still under siege. I was hoping for elven guards to show up and deal with this but no sign of elfs. It has also come to my attention there are no places for the nobles. No bedrooms, no offices, no dinning rooms. No wonder they are stressed and unhappy. Will try and rectify this asap.

Stage 1 complete. Stage 2 underway.

Chapter 4 - Flyaway

Summer is here, 1st of Hematite, my thoughts have flown away from my current project and towards two things. Noble needs and ends the siege. Abok, a fort doctor was taken by a fey mood claiming a clothier workbench. Progress is far too slow on Project Lebab. Everyone who can is being moved on temporarily to speed up production. Looks like we got an artifact rope, very interesting.

Artifact

Chapter 5 - Dump

Malachite is here, It still looks like I have a lot of work to do with my little time as overseer. Spotted a lot of crap just lying around on the surface, teeth and managed corpses. Need to build a dump area. In other news convicting the gelder kumil for their various misconduct in the fortress.

Chapter 6 - Make Believe

We are in Galena now and still under siege. I think i need to get something done about this. I can’t pretend that they will go away any longer. Time to assemble some siege machines. The nobles' demands are being met. Success. The mass engraving for project Labab is going great, ahead of schedule and its giving these dwarves some much needed exercise. Sorry I ramble but my eyes are drawn to the night sky. Its so breathtaking, the calm sea breeze in the air. I just can’t help but relax up here looking at the stars. Maybe the zombies will be gone soon after all.

Chapter 7 - Dear Future Self

Well we are on the final push for project lebab. Onto engraving, everyone else can rest. Whilst our main engraver does his best. I need to remind myself to make a temple, look at the year coin, catapult and ballista construction. Future me, get on this please. Right i have looked through the squad lists and have found the dwarves most skilled to fill in the gaps in our crossbow squad. The squad throught the year so far has been whittling the siege down so making them whole and arrow production will help.

Seems that must the undead are well armored, atleast its training our squad and will eventually whittle them down. In other news Ezum is engraving masterpieces. Project Lebab is going well.

Chapter 8 - Visiting Hours

Well Another month another issue, accidentally opened the north door and now no one wants to close it. Guess its visiting hours for the undead, seems a miner is the only person wanting to close the gate. He needs to hurry before more die. Moving the crossbow squad stationed in the trap corridor, might give them enough time for this slow miner to close the god dam door. Quite a few have died, few more trapped undead, civillians are desperately grabbing bodys and ignoring my burrow. Meanwhile ticking timebomb miner is gonna likely lock some people out and even worse might crush someone.

He closed the door, trapping a good few. Well I know that I cannot let this dwarves' deaths be in vain. We need to clear these things out of here.

Shit one managed to get in. Going to deploy the necromancer. Hope this works.

Kinda worked. Keep bringing them back as cold stalkers. But it was too cruel, I had to let them go. This undead siege will end, the open part of the compound to the west is now clear. With a pull of a lever we now have control of it once again. The dwarves can at least let these long dead bodies be put to rest.

Something is wrong, some citizens have formed a semicircle and are doing nothing. Also a new artifact, an amulet.
Artifact

Forgotten beast has arrived. Another flying one.

Chapter 9 - If I’d Know

Well things are stabilising, project lebab has been successful and is just getting a polish up. Sending out the top engraver around to finish the grand library. So far only I have produced scrolls. I guess its cause i unassign everything else from me. If i’d only knew

Chapter 10 - Sometimes

The siege finally ended, i guess even the undead give up sometimes. Was about to send out a raid to test our broken squads but instead I'm sending most of them to explore. Axe dwarf squad will do. They did the join whilst the other squads explored Crestedstopped and various other abandoned monasteries that have books. More knowledge. More good news, sending the good old captain of the guard out and we have some of the lost back of cold ones. Joyous day.

Even better a migrant wave, there is hope sometimes

Chapter 11 - Swimming

The ice has frozen over as we hit the peak of winter, no swimming today. Unless you count swimming in books and scrolls from these abandoned monasteries. Glad we are saving all this valuable knowledge in the world. Also a note, a few undead stragglers in the trees need to be dealt with as they are causing panic.

Chapter 12 - Rest Stop

Just as my year is coming to close its really heating up, not just the temperature but the mood. Lots of stressed dwarves, then a wereelephant shows up. It killed more dwarves just turned back into a human. Well that makes this easier. All deaths, no bites. So future overseer will not have to worry about wereelephant infection. Ezum is but one engraver and wont be able to finish all this in time. I pray the future overseer doesn’t remove him from this duty. In other news, Urist Rockmine, just inherited the title of baron. Trying to rush setup everything for our new baron but it won't be completed in time. I wish my future successor the best of luck. Im going to return to the grand library, The Bastion of Gems.

Baron
Wereelephant
The Bastion of Gems

« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 08:38:32 pm by AvolitionBrit »

Drunken scholar

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2021, 08:33:21 pm »

Wow, good job AvolitionBrit!

New Overseer needed, defaulting to myself unless someone else expresses interest.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2021, 08:39:26 pm »

Thanks, need to spell check and edit it later. But yeah happy to throw myself back into the order.

Drunken scholar

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2021, 11:04:02 pm »

Dang, that is an impressive project. Makes my (suspended) surface tower look puny. I'm going to wait to do another turn until someone competent in getting the military arrayed in the correct outfit does that to our dwarves. I do have some starts of ideas for using the first cavern layer architecturally, though.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2021, 02:05:31 am »

Dang, that is an impressive project. Makes my (suspended) surface tower look puny. I'm going to wait to do another turn until someone competent in getting the military arrayed in the correct outfit does that to our dwarves. I do have some starts of ideas for using the first cavern layer architecturally, though.

Hm, that does sound like me.  I'm at least competent in equipping dwarves, and I've even got them to train.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2021, 06:35:33 pm »

Has anyone picked it up for another year?

Drunken scholar
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7