Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19

Author Topic: [50.01][Class+Prem] Highfantasy Mod System 1.5.08: The True Names of Things  (Read 59477 times)

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [47.05] Highfantasy Mod/Pack 1.3.00: Spawns and Disguises (Major!!)
« Reply #180 on: November 17, 2021, 04:23:26 pm »

Hello all,

I've added a link on the homepage to a development version of Highfantasy. The dev version will always contain the newest balance tweaks and adjustments, while saving me from posting new updates except when there are major bugs to address or content additions that warrant a new release. So anytime you're ready to start a new save file, it's worth checking out.

There continue to be no major bugs or features to fix and 1.3.00r is a great time - I'm enjoying my own little aboveground fortress for the past couple weeks. Cheers!

Heya man, I like the Mod but I've had two sieges show up now with no attackers ever showing up. I can send you the save if you want.
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
  • , who choked on [PRO_POS] own ambition!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 28, 2021, 05:23:20 pm »

Hey Paranatural, sorry for the late reply and happy holiday if you just celebrated!
More so than the save, help me by providing the following information:
-What version of HF are you playing on? (the version of the zip file you downloaded)
-What civilization are you playing as? (Dwarves, etc)
-What civilization/s were the seigers? (Goblins, etc)
-How did you know it was a seige? Only by the "siege!" announcement? You said no attackers showed up, but did anything else show up - other NPCs, etc?

Let me know and hopefully I can get it fixed up :)
The Highfantasy Mod/Pack. Civs, Creatures, Systems, Balance.

Ramiel.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 30, 2021, 05:18:00 pm »

Looking forward to trying this out, seems to have a lot of content from mods I usually smash together for personal use.

Regarding the tile display changes - I've seen these changes before, but I don't remember where.  I think it was in one of Splint's old works, but I'm not sure, and even if so I don't think it originated there.  Either way, while a lot of people don't seem to mind too much I personally find it literally unplayable (not an exaggeration, I've tried and I just can't stand it for more than a few minutes).  So I took a few minutes and reverted all the tile changes for soil/rock/etc.  Uploaded to dffd in case anyone else wants it as well.
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15759

Files edited are inorganic_stone_layer, inorganic_stone_mineral, inorganic_stone_soil, inorganic_stone_gem, inorganic_other
Note that the only mod changes in inorganic_stone_soil and inorganic_other were the tile display changes.  I included the files, but they're just copies from the base game.

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 02, 2021, 10:42:59 am »

Thanks Ramiel. Did you preserve the other changes in those files? Off the top of my head, I think there are mineral value changes and things that work with the poison-ore-disaster system used in those files.
If so, I'll add these to the "optional files" within HF to make sure others can always use them.

Cheers

Ramiel.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 02, 2021, 02:56:27 pm »

Absolutely.  As I said, the two I mentioned were identical to the vanilla files aside from the tile changes.  The other three had lots of little changes - nosiest were actually all the material changes in the gem file, I assume to allow stone/gem weapons.  Anyways, I mostly just copied the tile numbers from vanilla files over to the modded ones, so nothing should be altered modwise.  Notepad++'s Compare plugin is such a godsend.

And I'm enjoying the mod so far.  First fort was an absolute failure; overcame several challenges with river drakes at spawn torching everything and part of the map turning out to be reanimating.  But at some point my Shoveldon who'd been protecting us decided to just stop fighting and watch from the sideline as foul blendec corpses tore everyone apart.  Had no problems trampling newly-risen citizen corpses, but left the blendecs alone.  Tried to reclaim, but the Shoveldon had himself risen from the grave, so that quickly proved to be a terrible idea.  Ah well, on to the next outpost!
Part of me kinda wants to gen a new world, but the dwarves in this one have tamed Giant Bison, and that's just too cool to give up.

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 07, 2021, 11:41:01 am »

Great work on the changes. I'll get that into the next dev version as noted (Edit: it's done). I know a lot of folks wanted this, haha.

That fort sounds like a beautiful disaster. And wow, you actually got foul blendecs! That means all these spawning distribution changes are finally paying off. Meanwhile, the fort I've been running since November 1 is at a standstill with a bunch of regular, vanilla intelligent undead lietenants. I've been save scumming like a dirty cheater trying to see if it's recoverable, but I'm pretty sure they've got me good and beat! But my beautiful fort layout D:
Your dwarves taming giant bison is indeed pretty heckin cool. It sounds like that shoveldon decided it was not being paid enough. "I've had it with these heckin drakes in this heckin floodplain!"
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 10:50:51 am by kiiranaux »

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 21, 2021, 06:33:00 pm »

Update: there's been another "light" (yet hundreds of hours of work?) "non-essential" release over on the development version downloads, bringing us up to development version v1.3.14d.

The features here continue to be high-labor, low-player-impact, but I want to knock them out before premium and before another main 1.4.00 release. There are only two such features left!: DIFFICULTY (which impacts adventure mode) and NATURAL+ (which impacts age names). Truly low reward, yet they have to be done. Then finally I can move onto indexing language files.

Current Development version: v1.3.14d    includes the following existing development branch features:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and adds the following additional new development version features:

Chbost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 26, 2021, 12:29:13 pm »

Hello again!

Long time since i wrote anything here, have been playing as the Naga civilization again. I have noticed two oddities.

First the value of the components to build Airguns seem off in some instances, for example a steel stockīs value is 30 whilst one steel matchlock was about 4500 (both normal quality). The problem begins when you have a good metalsmith or whoever it is that forges them, in that if you produce good quality or masterwork  items the value increase becomes very high, and since the reaction produces about 3 matchlocks of steel it leads to very large sieges with only having produces and later assembled 3-5 airguns.

(masterworks value is 12x leading the value for one matchlock to be 54 000)

The airguns themselves when assembled are of "normal value".

Another is with the attach bayonett to airgun/spring-gun. It takes the bar and the gun as it should and then when the reaction fires, the ingredients vanish. I have tried this multiple times and with different bars. Unclear to why the reaction would cause a problem?

A fun note though is that in my first migrant wave i got a Naga Necromancer capable of raising intelligent undead, so I have constructed a grand resurrection chamber. where all dead civmembers are laid to rest then locking them in with the necromancer and a captured gnome leading to the resurrection of the civ members as "Pale Slayers" with the ability to cause nausea and vomit, actually managed to kill a megabeast that came using only the intelligent undead, since it made the flying megabeast so nauseus and sick (when all 15 gestures) that it dropped to the ground which allowed them to bash it when it could not parry the attacks.

So now the undying Naga empire rises again from "Sunkenwell The Ivory Vault" :D

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 27, 2021, 01:20:34 pm »

Hey Chbost,

1. Thanks for the comments about the value of components, this was described well. I'll try to tweak the values a little bit, and probably by reducing the output quantity of matchlocks - best we can do, and encouraging you to use each one. However generating large sieges based off forging guns is not entirely unreasonable!

2. Those bladed weapons stump the heck out of me. And it sounds like you're using the new reaction that takes bars rather than the older "bayonets." In which case maybe it is a problem with the output. I will investigate again, but I've had little luck with this so far, I'm afraid. N.B. Have you tried taking the output of the bladed reactions and giving it to yourself for free using a no-reagent reaction? I should test that myself, but in the meantime, I'm curious if that would give you a bladed gun or also vanish. And you deserve it anyway!

I love your story of the naga necromancer. It's particularly apt since I've long been inspired by the idea in the Guild Wars franchise that naga (Krait) are so fiercely xenophobic that they would rather work with their own undead than with other races. Very cool!

I wonder, given your production, if you will become the first player to experience the "final boss" of Highfantasy...

Chbost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 29, 2021, 09:04:42 pm »

bladed weapons

I have been testing alot of things in the raws to try and see what happends, force material steel = no gun, remove bar = no gun, the name is correct as an item and I do not see any problem. Yet one thing i noticed is that all other "active" reactions appears to have 3 more lines below them such as

These three last pieces are only on those weapons i believe are available ingame for certain races but not all, but are not on the airgun bayonet reaction along with many other reactions I do not believe are being used. Might have nothing to do with why it does not work or not, I have not taken my masters in "raw wizardry" yet xD

What is even more peculiar is that when you are in a workshop you can view the "products" of the reaction. There is no product viewable ingame if I try to run the reaction.

I have no idea what is causing this, it is not at all game breaking my harpooners are still going very strong even without bayonets.

I have also read up about the Krait and it has inspired me to make a large obelisk like tower in the middle of my above ground fort, I have also started raiding the Orcs in order to capture their siege engines (raiding for pets :D) which I can then war train and use myself which is really fun (I have 37 war trained plague onagers all standing by in my "pasture" of pillboxes made out of fortifications and traps).

"final boss"

I have now ramped up my production of trade trinkets and crafts from the less usable bars I get from "salvage jetsam", so with any luck I will have my legions of pale slayers ready to defeat this unknown horror :)

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 30, 2021, 02:32:47 pm »

Chbost, Thanks for your input! It's definitely a problem with the output, them. I'll continue to investigate, although this is -not- fixed in the below.
Also quite like what you're doing with your naga base. What could be cooler than capturing seige weapons and turning them back against the world? Regarding the "final boss", here's the attack trigger: 1 million exported wealth OR 10 million created wealth (no population trigger) and I can confirm they are actively spawning ~1 in pretty much every world I've generated since 1.3.00, although you may have to cut through "lesser" bosses to get to it.

Here's another development version, taking us closer to 1.4.00. DIFFICULTY was knocked out, so happy adventuring! NATURAL+ remains, along with some odds and ends.
This time I have a request. 1.3.15d introduces FEATURE_BEASTs, which work like forgotten beasts. I'm pretty sure they are coded correctly, but I havn't had the time to ensure they are spawning. If anyone has time to generate some worlds, pierce the caverns, produce some output, and get some megabeast attacks, let me know if any of the newly FEATUREd beasts appear instead of Forgotten Beasts alone. To aid in getting there quickly, I've left in the debug reaction "print money" at the mason (skill:smelting); this can be removed at any time in any save file.

Current Development version: v1.3.15d    includes the following existing development branch features:
and adds the following additional new development version features:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 03:10:17 pm by kiiranaux »

Chbost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 06, 2022, 04:56:26 pm »

wealth requirement

Soon I should be able to get the final boss :D

Possible Bug Report:

Some reflections in general playing the nagaīs include:

Raiding is a must since they are carniverous and does not have any "food" pets, they also do not have any seeds (starting pick), so foraging for "drink" fruit/plants is important, since the seaweed is not enough to make drink to prevent "unhappy thoughts". The raiding for pets is also very important since it allows the player to actually "breed" various pets, I for example have alot of these flying bug-things that the Orcīs have, and I am currently breeding them in order to have a steady supply of food, since only fishing and hunting can be very difficult once the site population reaches 150+.

Very strong fighters and large squads make raiding quite viable, also quite easy to make them realy good as fighters due to their high observation skill :
Quote taken from DFWiki regarding observation.
In combat, the observer skill is used to note and anticipate the attacks of enemies. Skilled observers are less likely to be surprised by an opponent's charge, for instance, and less likely to receive a penalty for being attacked from the side. Higher skill levels give the observer more information, such as which arm the opponent is using for its next attack.

This combined with the tail (Can use tail for both attacking "Swipe" and grasping) makes them very lethal since the enemy does not get a hit on them, since they know where to effectively parry or dodge even against multiple opponents, fun note is that I had a Naga that had lost both his arms, and he was still one of my best fighters, using his sword grasped by the tail, I think his kill count went up to about 20-30 although most of these were gnomes and goblins.
One difficulty arising from the tail, is the unability to jump/effectively climb, I have had many nagas stuck on the ground aggroed on a climber that was 2-3 z-levels above them with no ability whatsoever to reach them.

Also they do not have cave adaption (Please do not change this) which is great since it allows for building combined above/below ground bases whilst also offering the ability of rapid attacks with underground nagas to the siegers above without the nausea and profuse vomiting.

Some difficulties with the Nagaīs is the lack of friends, every race is hostile and you really need a friendly caravan (your yearly civ caravan), had a siege once that lasted about 1/1,5 years I believe, leading my entire fort to starve (lost about 20% of my civ members (large fort) to famine) since the caravan is so important. This also means that everyone will raid and attack you. Which is fun but can quickly lead into "FUN" when they start piling up the sieges and ambushes, for example had both Hobgoblins/Orcs/Elves all coming and fighting in a massive battle outside my fort.

All in all a very fun race to play around with very suitable for an "offensive" non turtling playstyle, since sieges must be dealt with in order to gain the caravan and be able to hunt, unless one breaches the caverns and can live of the "meat" wandering around there ;)

Anyway keep up the good work! :D

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 22, 2022, 07:09:07 pm »

Thanks all for the input. I have possibly identified a fix to the bayonetted weapon system.

This should be the last development version on 1.3.X. I'm all set for 1.4.00 with the exception of figuring out whether and how well the new FEATURE_BEASTs are working as forgotten beast supplements. That's the Balor/Marilith, Spider Queen, Gaoler Demon, and 3 dementia bosses. I'm continuing to make dummy forts to test this - any help and continued feedback is appreciated!

Here's another development version, taking us closer to 1.4.00. NATURAL+ is done, so that's it, all that's left on my log is moving into the language files (identifying words for new things like Balor and Mythril) and then into spriting for premium.

Current Development version: v1.3.16d    includes the following existing development branch features:
and adds the following additional new development version features, which are now mostly deep under the hood:

CrashyMcGee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 23, 2022, 01:07:10 am »

Red scaled dragonborn seem to immediately combust and melt.

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 24, 2022, 01:55:13 pm »

Thanks, fixed for 1.4.00. Just add the following under [SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19