Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19

Author Topic: [50.01][Class+Prem] Highfantasy Mod System 1.5.08: The True Names of Things  (Read 58747 times)

Sanguis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Highfantasy Mod/Pack 1.1.01: Civs, Creatures, Systems, Balance (Major)[47.05]
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2021, 06:11:13 pm »

Uh. I got a problem now. The captain asked me to kill an oni but they seem impossible to kill since they strike you in invisibility. is ther something i could do against it?

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
  • , who choked on [PRO_POS] own ambition!
    • View Profile
Re: Highfantasy Mod/Pack 1.1.01: Civs, Creatures, Systems, Balance (Major)[47.05]
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2021, 07:01:06 pm »

Oni seem impossible to kill since they strike you in invisibility.

EDIT: See Atkana's response below. It is recommended to avoid the few creatures that hide in Highfantasy when playing adventure mode. For the next version, I'll up their challenge ratings to 11 so they are not assigned as quests, and increase their hide timer for DF mode.
(These creatures include: Oni, Stalkers, Skelk, Lesser Imps, faerie dragons, all 4 genie types, and all Shadow Lineage caste creatures. For the next version v1.1.1, due to this vanilla big, I will remove hiding from leser imps, faerie dragons, and genies.)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 08:14:22 am by kiiranaux »
The Highfantasy Mod/Pack. Civs, Creatures, Systems, Balance.

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2021, 01:18:29 am »

Due to bugs in the base game, anything that hides in adventure mode becomes permanently invisible and essentially uninteractable. DFhack's reveal-hidden-units can be used as a workaround to undo their hiding so the game is playable.

Sanguis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2021, 07:21:07 pm »

Hi again. How do one get a grimoire? crafting it requires a diamond but searching for gems only brings rock crystals. I also tryed shops but nothing was found.

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2021, 11:00:00 am »

Hey Sanguis,

That's actually intended behavior, it's supposed to be really tough to "suddenly" turn to magic studies. Although I'm open to suggestions for balance tweaks. You can:
-check human town Trinket Shops for diamonds
-maybe there's a human shop that sells tools and might have a grimoire?
-raid dwarf fortresses for diamonds and/or grimoires

Of course, if your objective is to play as a wizard, that's another story entirely - just start with a grimoire from Equipment -> Tools. My human adventurer from Save10 is carrying a Llama Wool Grimoire and a Sheep Wool Divine Focus, of all things...

Q: I'm going back and forth on giving the free "search for gems" reaction a chance to create a diamond, or adding a "search harder" option to get diamonds for those who are having the problem you are having.

Q: And for you Sanguis, in case you're really attached to your current adventurer, maybe you can try using the generic reactions... I'm not sure if they can adjust adventure mode on the fly, but it's worth a shot! (And I need to know that info anyway).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
For fort mode, this can adjust reactions on the fly... I'm not sure if it works in adventure mode too.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2021, 01:52:52 pm »

I've also been trying to learn magic over the course of many, many adventure mode sessions so this is extremely helpful to me as well. Thanks kiira!
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2021, 03:51:55 pm »

;) my pleasure. By the way, almost all the information you could need about the magic system is on the frontpage now. There's like 99% parity between adventure and fort modes. The only differences are that
1. In fort mode, your diamond goes into the spell workshop, but in adv mode it goes into the grimoire itself to start.
2. Divine foci have different "backup" sources in fort and adv mode.

For anyone who's playing with the spellcrafts magic system prior to 1.0.3, the alternate-acquisition of foci has changed but the main mechanics of the magic system have not: Study magic, unlock a new focus somehow, study more magic with that focus.

Sanguis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2021, 04:47:00 pm »

Thanks that worked! Another question is what are ''arms''? The game counts this things as weapons.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2021, 05:44:04 pm »

"Arm" in general can be a synonym for "weapon", but what specific weapons are you referring to? Off the top of my head, could be referring to guns (aka "firearms").
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Sanguis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2021, 06:13:43 pm »

I mean things named ''slinger arms'' ''thief arms'' watchman arms'' ''linebraker arms'' etc

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2021, 06:52:06 pm »

I mean things named ''slinger arms'' ''thief arms'' watchman arms'' ''linebraker arms'' etc

It's probably a workaround for using matched weapon sets (a slinger or crossbowman realistically wouldn't go into a fight with just a sling or crossbow for example,) to account for the jank around issuing multiple weapons to a single soldier.

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2021, 07:12:49 pm »

Yep. Thank Sver for this. They are ranged weapon sets.
One arms = 1 ranged weapon + 1 melee weapon, and people actually know how to use them.
They don't at all replace the melee weapons themselves, and i guess you can still make the standalone ranged weapons too if you like. Made the same way you'd expect, preferably from metal.

I need to add Sver's guide (ie, "a wanderer's arms is a crossbow plus an axe") to the front page info. I'll get to that soon.

Sanguis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2021, 08:18:19 pm »

I just made a brimstone essence with my grimoire! What do I do with it next?

Sanguis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2021, 08:31:54 pm »

Oh I figured it out. But the magma shot doesnt seem to do any damage at all. Does it depend on wizardry skill?

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2021, 09:09:18 pm »

Good job! You must be studying Pyromancy :) As you seem to have figured out, what you do is... eat it!

The brimstone essence is a VERY weak spell, that's why it's so much more common (21%) when studying pyromancy than the better pyromancy spells - Magma and Fireball (14%). However it should be doing SOME damage... what are you attacking? And I don't think it's based on wizard skill... it's just a material emission haha.

Also, I forgot to add to the OP, if you're doing an adventure mode character who will jump-start as a wizard, try to take some disease resistance! Studying magic is dangerous and mentally taking...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 09:15:01 pm by kiiranaux »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19