Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19

Author Topic: [50.01][Class+Prem] Highfantasy Mod System 1.5.08: The True Names of Things  (Read 58756 times)

Bjorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [47.05] Highfantasy Mod/Pack 1.4.00: Under the Spawning Sun (Major!!)
« Reply #225 on: September 26, 2022, 08:44:36 pm »

Hey there mate! (VABritto here, I had forgotten the password for my old account, Bjorn, and ended up using the VABritto account instead, but I'm the same person) I'm glad to see this mod is still running along nicely. I've been in a long hiatus from gaming in general ever since my son was born, but I intend to return to dwarf fortress soon-ish. I'm going to mod a human civ for personal fun (going to try my hand on hybrid governments), but I'm going to do it with your mod as a base because it's my favourite mod and I like playing with its features even though I want to put in more stuff lol

Bjorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 04, 2022, 07:42:39 pm »

Has anyone else been having trouble with pathing? I'm using a modified version of this mod but sometimes I have to save and reload again or else my humans don't notice they can enter certain rooms and such.

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
  • , who choked on [PRO_POS] own ambition!
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 10, 2022, 10:05:13 am »

Hey VAB! Glad to have you back. We're definitely still kicking over here.
I've never noticed pathing issues while testing / playing various civs. Post some examples so we have some documentation and I'll keep an eye out for it.
The Highfantasy Mod/Pack. Civs, Creatures, Systems, Balance.

Vanzetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 09, 2022, 03:43:09 pm »

Hi kiiranaux,

Just wanted to say that your mod is awesome and I'm looking forward to a version for the Steam DF.

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 11, 2022, 03:34:35 pm »

Thank you Vanzetti!

Highfantasy is coming to steam! I'd like to update everyone based on the information I sent to patreon subscribers and conversations with other mod authors. Here's where we're at.

1. For the past week I've been working with people across the forums to help everyone understand how to update our mods. That has been successful.
2. I've spent time the last week updating the code for Highfantasy for the new raw format. It is STABLE AND WORKING on my pc. There's also some new content, including:
-Dark elves, dark dwarves, dark merfolk
-a plague of Eldritch Sickness
-shapeshifting
-yokai invasion and defense system.
-2500 new words added to the dictionary and appropriately coded.
3. Next step is to finalize the new code, and upload to steam without graphics. You'll be able to start save file with a lot of placeholder graphics, soon.
4. I'll start rolling out graphics for all parts of the modpack in collaboration with other mod authors. We're already talking about this, and some of the authors have moved very quickly.

See you all soon!

Vanzetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 13, 2022, 03:48:04 am »

-Dark elves, dark dwarves, dark merfolk

Are you planning to give them the "dark x" name?

I was just thinking that, keeping with the approach of your mod, it would be more interesting to have civilizations with the same name, but a different set of morals? This was a player could suddenly get a goblin caravan, and discover that these goblins are more enlightened than the regular ones. Or get a "vile force of darkness" composed of dwarfs.

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 15, 2022, 03:36:04 pm »

Vanzetti - I've been going back and forth on that. I agree with those thoughts, which is why they definitely won't be called things like "drow", "snirfneblin", etc. I do think they aren't "disguised" creatures, because they look considerably different than their equivalents. I was very close to using "deep" ie "deep dwarves", but I stuck with "dark" since vanilla already has mountain gnomes x dark gnomes. Re "vile force of dwarf darkness," I'd like them to join up with goblins and the like, and am playing with the numbers to that end still.

As for goblins, those are all over HF. There's the goblin civ, rival goblins captured by the goblin civ, goblin slaves (caste) in the hobgoblin civ, feral goblins that are pretty evil, wild goblins that are just another intelligent humanoid like vanilla animal-people, and failed hybrids which are basically aquatic goblins - all of them have a completely different place/purpose in HF, and that's just the ones with goblin in the name, 6 of them. It's almost unnecessary to make a second true goblin civ.

I am noodling on whether there's a place for non-evil orcs, though - but for now they can migrate to your fortress as a dissenter the same way a goblin might in vanilla. Tbd!

« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 11:03:25 pm by kiiranaux »

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 15, 2022, 11:18:31 pm »

I just wanted to say I'm looking forward to playing this mod on v50. This sounds exactly like what I want out of a mod and I hope there is a tileset for it soon.

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [50.01][Class+Prem] Highfantasy Mod System 1.5.00: The True Names of Things
« Reply #233 on: December 23, 2022, 02:09:54 pm »

Version 1.5.00, The True Names of Things, is live!

Highfantasy is being released simultaneously on Classic and Premium.
The installation is completely standard in both modes, and is also detailed in the info.txt. In both modes, worldgen currently requires removing Vanilla Creatures, Vanilla Materials, Vanilla Bodies until more modding hooks are added.
Loading Highfantasy takes a long time. It will finish and the game will play normally.

Highfantasy Graphics are Coming.
There will be updates to highfantasy almost daily to provide graphics. Graphics should be addable without harming existing worlds. We think. We'll find out in a day or two as the first are added.

Get in touch!
If you're a spriter, and you're interested in working on graphics specific to this mod (such as Naga), please get in touch! I'd love to showcase your talent, and it will be better than the palette swaps I'll be cobbling together.

This update adds yokai, eldritch sickness, shapeshifting, dark creatures, alt civs, a massive dictionary expansion, tutorialization, and accessibility throughout the mod. The OP post 3 will be updated soon to reflect changes. The full feature list is way too long to post, but is included in the full Highfantasy Readme in the v_readme file highfantasy.zip

v1.5.00r; "The True Names of Things", new systems
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

v1.5.00r; "The True Names of Things", changes
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 05:27:36 pm by kiiranaux »

Urist the CaveBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 23, 2022, 05:11:34 pm »

I'm so excited.  What a tremendous thing to wake up to.  This remains my favorite Dwarf Fortress mod, and I've been checking it's status daily since .50 came out.  I can't wait for the weekend, to really dig into it.  Thanks again for your outstanding work, Kiiranaux. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 05:14:32 pm by Urist the CaveBear »

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 23, 2022, 05:24:52 pm »

My pleasure Urist! As always, I've tried my best to give back to all the other mod authors by posting my learnings (and there are many) on the wiki for others to benefit from them. I think that particularly showed in the week post-launch where I was focused on identifying raw changes over in the other thread. That's why others are ahead in terms of graphics. But that will change, soon!

On a personal note, this was an incredibly huge endeavor. I've known for the past year that it would be, but wow - yesterday was the 17th straight 16-hour day spent working on this. I'm so proud the dictionary has Highfantasy entries, and I'm so pleased with what we've done with the yokai system. It's totally ready for revamped adventure mode, too!

Cheers all and may Dwarf live another 20 years!

Vanzetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 24, 2022, 06:56:38 am »

hi kiiranaux,

Congrats on the new version!

Question: this might be beyond the scope of your work, but have you considered making the mod more modular? Just as an example, things like the yokai might be thematically off for some people. Could be nice if it was possible to turn them on/off.

jolibee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 24, 2022, 09:25:57 am »

Thank you and good work!

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 24, 2022, 10:54:56 am »

This post will serve as a reference for the modularity of Highfantasy. It is now linked from the front page.

First, a disclaimer: remember that many of the more "magical" features of highfantasy are restricted to savage biomes. You can have a pretty vanilla experience by playing as dwarves in a non-savage biome - all the progression systems will be there, but you won't be seeing wacky things, for the most part. Just a local elemental, a local extinct mammal, a local intelligent humanoid, and possibly drakes and skales.

--

Modularity is provided via the c_variation files.

-To completely remove yokai, mononoke, goriki, onnen from your world,

-To completely remove eldritch creatures, and restore vanilla cavern layer 2 (there's nothing unique there),

-To completely remove dinosaurs

"My favorite creature is missing!" No it's not, they're all in there. Just search for it, add this at the start of its file, and call it what you want.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 11:10:43 pm by kiiranaux »

Vanzetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 24, 2022, 03:55:14 pm »

Vanzetti: I agree! Modularity is provided via the c_variation files.

To completely remove yokai, goriki, onnen from your world, go to c_variation_poke, and remove every instance of large_roaming, megabeast, or semimegabeast. Ripping out the mononoke is a bit harder but I think you can do it by removing "pet" and adding "underground_depth:4:4" in the same file in the variation for civ users.

As in, remove the token "large_roaming", or the entire creature that has the token?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19